IGNORED

Pioneer's LaserActive CLD-A100 is the best Sega Genesis system

HDTV1080P

If you really want to play TurboGrafx/PC-Engine HuCards and CDroms you might as well get the Duo. It would be a lot less than trying to find some obscure addon for an already obscure laserdisc player. Now I don't even have a Duo because I'n only started collection HuCard games and the base PC-Engine was only $50.

The only advantage of owning the NEC Turbo Grafx PAC from the Pioneer Laseractive system is if one wants to play the exclusive 12 inch NEC Laserdisc games. There were more 12 inch Laserdisc games made for the Sega Genesis PAC. There were so few of these Pioneer CLD-A100 sold that it became a expensive collectors item that went up in value. It is estiamted that only around 10,000 CLD-A100 were sold. I do not know the numbers of NEC pacs sold, however there s a possibility that instead of 10,000 being made, maybe only 5,000-7,000 NEC pacs were made. Some people that purhcased the system did not buy any game pacs and only used the CLD-A100 to play music CD's and Laserdisc movies. The SEGA pack was much more popular and maybe 10,000 or 7,000 were made. The computer PAC and karaoke PAC are extremely rare and maybe only a 1,000 of each were made (Even in the 90’s it was hard to find the computer pac and karaoke pac). However I am just tossing out numbers and it could be 5,000 were made of each.

It costs to much sometimes to have a real game console, sometimes its better to download a free emulator for a Windows PC (The 12 inch Laserdisc games to my knowledge have not been emulated but most likely the SEGA Genesis system and NEC system for the normal cartridges and CD-ROM’s have been emulated in Windows).

Edited by HDTV1080P

I have the karaoke, PC engine and MD packs, Yes the MD packs are a little more common, but I think I paid about the same my NEC and MD, Karaoke pack are in less demand but aren't really anything special. You can find LaserKaroke systems usually pretty cheap and they'll likely work better and have more functions then the LaserActive with Karaoke pack. There are no emulators for the laseractive, titles aren't backed up. They only way to experience them is on real hardware with real discs. There are a few titles IMO worth owning if you do get a LD-ROM pack however, my favorite probably being Manhattan Requiem, but there are very titles that have some surprising entertainment like Quiz Econosaurus. One day I hope to get my hands on Blue Chicago Blues, but it's pretty rare and I am not ready to shell out $800 to $1000 asking prices. Road Avenger and Time Gal ask these prices but they are covered well on other platforms and emulated via Daphne from their LD originals.

I have all the North America (USA) releases for the 12 inch Lasaeractive system for both SEGA and NEC, however if there is any exclusive Japanese games on 12 inch Laserdisc I do not own any of those. I also have all 4 pacs. The computer and karaoke pack were the hardest to find back in the mid 90's.

Edited by HDTV1080P

• 1 year later...
On 8/25/2020 at 8:55 PM, Jory said:

I have a Pioneer CLD-A100 laser disk player with a built in Laser Active Sega Genesis game system. Any idea of the value?

It depends on the unit condition and if you plan on selling it buy itself or bundled with items. Current EBAY prices for the CLD-A100 is between $500-$4,500+. If bundled with a lot of games and plug in modules maybe $10,000+.