IGNORED

Interesting PS1/PS2 Games you should play!

The PS1 and PS2 are great systems that have a large pool of games spanning many different genres and styles, with a lot of developers experimenting with the content they release. This is why I wanted to make this thread to highlight some of the weirder, lesser-known, or discussion-worthy games available for the system, to help everyone bolster their collection, to start a discussion on the design of these games, or simply to share some awesome experiences!

You can post any PS1/2 game here that you like, with the condition that the game is interesting and it is unique in some way. With that said, post away!

Plus, it's fun. Catchy music, good challenges, the game manage to use and extend the Toy Story universe without feeling forced.

Talking about interesting games, there is D.
Yeah, D.
Never heard of D? Never saw D?
82481-d-playstation-front-cover.jpg
It's an horror-themed exploration game, made of pre-rendered videos and pictures (think original Myst).
The catch here is an unusual gameplay where you have 2 hours to complete the game.
If you take more than 2 hours to reach the end of the game, you automatically get a game over. And there isn't any save point in the game at all.

One other that is "worth trying" is Overblood :
jaquette-overblood-playstation-ps1-cover
It's a survival-horror game, tho with very little in the horror end. The environment will be more deadly than the 4 monsters you'll see in the game.
For such an early Playstation 3D game, the graphics are rock solid, looking more like a 1998/2000 era game.
I think that the programmer did a good job on the technical side, but are lacking in the writing side, the game quickly lose the "survival" feeling.

There is still a decent story, game lenght, and an oppressive atmosphere. It only lack something to make it a true hidden gem or Playstation classic game.

Maybe if the game had tried to have a better written story, a bit more challenge, either more monsters or more puzzles...

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 1

That Omega title I'll have to try that one out. I don't really keep a PS1 library going, but I do have a very small set of games I found locally when the mood hits as I have a LCD+PSone combo on my desk.

To me the stuff I list probably here won't be that interesting to many, mainly because what they are, but they're very worth a peek. Blizzard years ago converted both Diablo and Warcraft 2 to the system and I'd call them damn near perfect. D1 I'd call an improvement other than your usual little PS1 load bars going into the underground as it's only played on a game pad making control a lot more fun yet the game is entirely intact in visuals, audio, just style otherwise. The more amazing one despite no mouse use is Warcraft 2 the Dark Saga, it is a pixel to pixel conversion audio clip by clip, fmv by fmv copycat of the DOS release of WC2 and the Tides of Darkness add-on package and it shows the care that went into it. Neither of those games are really fans or usable on a 64bit Windows environment so they're welcome.

I don't know if it's taboo to put expensive, but not much is an equal in design to TOMBA! which I located months ago and it's really special. But to converse the price thing, I know it gets crapped on because of the load screens per area which is stupid, but Blaster Master is a really excellent game in the spirit of the old NES title that shouldn't be overlooked either.

The Point Blank series is a must if you have a CRT. It's an extremely Japanese series of light gun (Guncon) games. Each game is a collection of mini games, and pretty much all of them are fun. Great to play for ten minutes at a time or for a extended session.

They also converted it oddly to the Nintendo DS but never sold it in large numbers if someone wants a crack but doesn't have an ancient TV.

One game which I purchased recently is a PS2 game called Xtreme Express (you can tell it was made in the early 2000's due to the name! :-D ). It's a real oddity, as it's a racing game where you play as trains ​instead of cars or similar road-going vehicle. Because you are in a train, you have to time when to switch tracks to overtake or to get a better route. Oddly enough, the game also functions like Scalextric, where you have to modulate your speed as not to come off the track on a tight, and the game has a bunch of trains that all look distinct and have their own style of gameplay. Any racing game fan looking for a very different, interesting game should check it out!

X-Treme_Express.jpg

Robot Alchemic Drive. *drops mic*

https://youtu.be/5HXsIK5noBU

Ignore the bad voice acting! It's a pretty damn fun game.

hhhhnnnnnngghhhhghhhh SUCH A GOOD GAME!! And one of my first reviews (ugh. I was such a dork back then) I actually like the terrible campy voice acting, I only wish it wasn't unskippable because sometimes it can get grating if you have to repeat a difficult mission over and over.

https://youtu.be/o-W68ELXDxQ

I seem to really like games where you control something big that attacks other things and PS2 had quite a few games like that. Others include:

Battle Engine Aquila

Dropship: United Peace Force

War of the Monsters

Naval Ops Warship Gunner 1 & 2

Ring of Red

S.L.A.I.

Destruction Derby and Vigilante 8 spring to mind.

I've never played the first Destruction Derby, but I've played a lot of Destruction Derby 2 when I was younger. I remember the game having fun driving physics and quite advanced vehicle damage for the time, and I used to kill hours playing it! Only real problem with the game is that the arena maps were kinda just luck as to whether you won, because of the pure chaos that ensued. That being said, I do love the game and it's fast pace.

• Like 1

A great PS2 RPG that no one talks about is Mana Khemia. While the dungeon graphics may not be that great, and the story takes a while to get going, it has some entertaining characters and fantastic combat.

~SHAMELESS PLUG~

I did a review for this game last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpsWwI2TtZQ&t=2s

Two words (PS2):

Stretch Panic.

Yes, Stretch Panic and Silpheed: The Lost Planet, both of Treasure Games' contributions to the PS2.

Also, I really liked Ring of Red, which is a PS2 game no one ever talks about:

And the "Tokyo Xtreme Racer" series, which people probably shy away from because of the name, but in Japan it's just Shutouko Battle and it's got fully realistic and accurately modeled highways around Tokyo and other cities (in the later iterations):

• Like 1

I have a few that come to mind:

Nanotek Warrior (PS1): It's a 3rd person vehicle shooter, but it has a heavy influence from Tempest. It's a ton of fun.

Gekioh: Shooting King (PS1): it's your typical Raiden-style vertical scrolling shooter, but it's various, strange game modes are what set it apart. There's a mode that makes it look like an old LCD game from the 80's, one that replaces all sound effects with a laugh track, one that makes it look like you are playing the game on an old black and white TV from the 1950's, and more.

RC De Go! (PS1): Think RC Pro Am for the NES but with updated graphics and a more in-depth upgrade system. It's great!

MLB Power Pros (PS2): Yes, a baseball game. But this one is really, really good. It's part of a long running Japanese series (Powerful Pro Baseball, I think) and it has weird, segmented players with floating heads and limbs kinda like Rayman, but fat. There's a bunch of game modes, and the Season mode is part JRPG and part baseball. You can equip different weapons...err... bats and shoes, and you manage your party... eh...team fully. It's really cool!

• Like 2

I have a few that come to mind:

Gekioh: Shooting King (PS1): it's your typical Raiden-style vertical scrolling shooter, but it's various, strange game modes are what set it apart. There's a mode that makes it look like an old LCD game from the 80's, one that replaces all sound effects with a laugh track, one that makes it look like you are playing the game on an old black and white TV from the 1950's, and more.

I'll happily second this one. Love the laugh track mode!

• Like 1

RC De Go! (PS1): Think RC Pro Am for the NES but with updated graphics and a more in-depth upgrade system. It's great!

I agree with this one for sure. Its better than I expected and way fun.

I would also add Fighting Force to this. Not the second one but the first one. Its a fun brawler just a little weird on getting used to the controls and all.