IGNORED

Interesting PS1/PS2 Games you should play!

RC De Go sounds interesting. I've only got like 7 PS1 games i keep around so I don't collect so it would really need to sell me. That one MJR Brought up to start that Omega Boost though that's totally my style, reminds me almost of like Zone of the Enders but a little more free flowing/less clunky watching that video.

Fighting Force on PS1 I recall rumors that studio started it as a 3D Streets of Rage and Sega basically blew them off so they re-skinned it slightly enough to sell. I wonder if there's any merit as I've heard nothing but pretty much nice things said about it while 2 gets crapped on pretty hard. I've only played #2 and the N64 version which I heard sucked the least, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either.

This is a fun thread. There are so many games for both systems that everyone will probably learn something. There are already several games I've never heard of. I may need to look for Omega Boost & RC De Go! now

Point Blank got mentioned. It is really easy to overlook that series, but it is super fun. Pull this out at any retro gaming party and it will get played.

Remarkably, the Loony Toons license was used well in this era. Two games that I really enjoyed were Sheep Raider (aka Sheep Dog and Wolf) and Bugs Bunny Lost in Time. Different games that both did well to capture the cartoon essence of the source material and adapted it well to popular gaming genres.

On the PS2 . . .

This sounds a little silly, but classic game compilations were done very well on this console. I still break out the Midway Collection, Activision Anthology (soundtrack!), and Pinball HOF for PS2. I would probably play the Atari anthology too if I didn't get my fill of those games elsewhere.

Did you know that Monkey Island 4 is on PS2? It wasn't hidden or anything, but often people overlook it. YMMV, but I like it.

MLB Power Pros (PS2): Yes, a baseball game. But this one is really, really good. It's part of a long running Japanese series (Powerful Pro Baseball, I think) and it has weird, segmented players with floating heads and limbs kinda like Rayman, but fat. There's a bunch of game modes, and the Season mode is part JRPG and part baseball. You can equip different weapons...err... bats and shoes, and you manage your party... eh...team fully. It's really cool!

Yes, this game keeps making me want to re-connect my PS2 one of these days. I think the PS2 got the only game in this series released in the US. I think it just has some MLB players added more or less randomly to make it more enticing for Americans.

I've bought a couple of later games in the series on other platforms since, and the graphics have definitely improved since then, but they're just so dense that they're basically impossible to play unless you're very advanced in speaking Japanese. So the US PS2 version was a beautiful thing. You can probably even use it as kind of a reference for the later games that are only in Japanese; I'm sure most of the stuff's the same.

Yes, this game keeps making me want to re-connect my PS2 one of these days. I think the PS2 got the only game in this series released in the US. I think it just has some MLB players added more or less randomly to make it more enticing for Americans.

I've bought a couple of later games in the series on other platforms since, and the graphics have definitely improved since then, but they're just so dense that they're basically impossible to play unless you're very advanced in speaking Japanese. So the US PS2 version was a beautiful thing. You can probably even use it as kind of a reference for the later games that are only in Japanese; I'm sure most of the stuff's the same.

I know I bought this game based on a recommendation. I thought that I had it for the Wii though . . .

I'm not sure what happened to it. I think I saw the potential but doubted I would be able to invest the time.

I am pretty sure they re-released the PS2 game on the Wii and a second one came out afterwards the next year with updated rosters. I think there's a DS version out there as well.

Another I just remember, on PS2 :

Road Trip adventure :

rtrap20f.jpg

Basically, it's a RPG with cars. Amusingly, you could reskin it with Disney's Car characters and it wouldn't look too out of place.

Do races, get money, get upgrades... and when you aren't racing, talk to the other cars. Do stuff for them, mini games, and get free parts. And ultimately build your own car city!

It's more fun that it sounds and looks like. It's very basic tho, I guess it was made for pre-teen as a target.

My biggest gripe is that there is no quest book so if you stop playing you can never remember what you were doing.

road_trip_1.1.jpg

303703_scr3_a.png

playstation-70495-41499274717.jpg

One thing I like is that the car body you have can be replaced and is purely cosmetic, so you can REALLY looks like a 2CV or a Mini and have the performances of a Ferrari.

Or the opposite :-D

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 1

Road Trip adventure :

rtrap20f.jpg

Basically, it's a RPG with cars. Amusingly, you could reskin it with Disney's Car characters and it wouldn't look too out of place.

Do races, get money, get upgrades... and when you aren't racing, talk to the other cars. Do stuff for them, mini games, and get free parts. And ultimately build your own car city!

It's more fun that it sounds and looks like. It's very basic tho, I guess it was made for pre-teen as a target.

My biggest gripe is that there is no quest book so if you stop playing you can never remember what you were doing.

road_trip_1.1.jpg

303703_scr3_a.png

One thing I like is that the car body you have can be replaced and is purely cosmetic, so you can REALLY looks like a 2CV or a Mini and have the performances of a Ferrari.

I don't think we got that here in the states, but we did get a Choro Q game.

ChoroQ_Coverart.png

150399-Choro_Q_(USA)-1495110939.jpg

I have this one, and I've given it a few chances, but I could never get into it. It's also a "CaRPG" and it's a bit strange. I found the actual driving mechanics a bit wonky.

Road Trip adventure :

rtrap20f.jpg

road_trip_1.1.jpg

303703_scr3_a.png

I used to LOVE this game when I was younger! I remember the driving being a tad off as the steering felt a bit vague, but it's nice to have a racing game that doesn't focus on the racing necessarily and more about driving and exploring an open world, finding the secrets scattered about the world. The game does lack mechanical depth somewhat, and the track design is not the strongest, but it has a lot of content to play through and is great for anyone wanting a different racing game.

Not sure how "interesting" or how much you could consider them "games", but I remember one called Aquanauts Holiday for PS1 that I think was pretty much just swimming around looking at fish or something. And there was that Fantavision or something for PS2 that was just a fireworks simulator or something. Never actually played either of them, but remember them existing.