IGNORED

HSC14 Round 15: Tales of Dragons and Cavemen

Last played in the "A-Z of Atari Games" in season 11 it's...

TALES of DRAGONS and CAVEMEN

tales_2.gif

this is a very enjoyable platformer with some nice features. Esc=pause. Extra life at 20k

Atarimania Info Fandal XEX. Lots of info below but explore the game yourself first ;)

Random Bonus Game:

Breath of the Dragon

breath_of_the_dragon.png

Fandal XEX (numerical keys 1 to 6 at the title screen for revelant maze)

Tales of Dragons and Cavemen

notes from last time we played:

Sikor: "If I remember - "Tales of dragon and cavemen" is port of ones from arcade games: Roc'n Rope

me: "played Tales of Dragons and Cavemen on my NTSC 800XL (in the UK) seems the bird image gets corrupted and when you get 3/4 way up your guy gets mangled a bit but if you concentrate you can still do the levels! " - probably best to play this one on emulation.

me: I've been to level 8, the game has some classic gameplay elements - it's really well done - the 2nd level is much more challenging with the bouncing bird poo! You can score a lot from killing several guys with the collected eggs - more than doing the screens quickly.

McKong: There are only four different boards. After the 4th it starts at the first again but it's quicker.Still trying to work out some aspects of the game.

You can zap the dragons and cavemen with the torch, still trying to work out why sometimes they get stunned and sometimes they get zapped! You can kill them when the egg collecting sound is playing! You can also kill them kicking kick them when you're climbing up a rope, but only when the egg collecintg sound is playing

You can kill them by enticing them onto a rope and then taking it away.

If your climbing a rope and one climbs down the rope towards you, you can shoot them with the torch and they die. Is there any significance to them fading in and out sometimes, or is that just a graphics glitch?

Can you get that bird thing, or whatever it's carrying, at the top of the screen? Yes you can zap him with the torch but you don't seem to get many points for doing so, more for self defence!

Perhaps I'll read the instructions if there are any, more fun trying to work it out though!

Good game but a bit hard, gets easier once you've mastered the controls

I tried reading the instructions on Atari Mania but they're in German. I translated some them in google but didn't learn anything new, except that you must be able to stun or kill the bird at the top of the screen with the torch

photo-40605.png?_r=1417201720

Now can anyone stop the McKongs?!!

Round ends Sunday 10th September 10am UK time

Everyone welcome to join in, just post a score :)

Ha, Mrs Mckong's Atari playing career was short lived. In fact I think she spent more time creating her avatar!

I might be able to pursuade her to play a couple of games. Mckong junior would like to join in, but his hands are too small to hold the joystick!

Edited by McKong
  • Like 2

I'll get the ball rolling this week: 30,690​ is my first offering.

I played Breath of the Dragon. Managed a measly 100 points. Gotta get the controls down on that one. Ouch! Don't touch ANYTHING that isn't floor! ;)

Just played BotD, looks like another toughie but at least the maps are small and there's no pogo sticks involved! The movement is varied so lots to master, love the animation when you throw yourself down to avoid things. The maps scroll round, I've managed 600 pts so far.

ToDaC 40,490 (stage 3) after a few goes of re-learing the ropes :grin:

73190 After a few goes...

I was going to ask in the main forum how difficult it would be to fix the way the dragons and cavemen flicker, cos I dont think it's supposed to be part of the game

I think it's down to the programming / # of things on the same plane at the same time, probably worth a post though as it might get someone's interest :thumbsup:

(74,560) Not improved my score but it's certainly addictive, I keep thinking you should be able to climb down especially on the 2nd screen but usually you cannot; I bet there are a few safe places :ponder:

just one more go before I get on with my programming!

Tales of Dragons & Cavemen

Breath of the Dragon

What a nightmare :-(

really I wanted to get further on Breath ot Dragon but couldn't figure out how to get up and left over the platform edge - on the right of the 2nd row of rooms. Some goes I've made it into a doorway/portal. There's a lot of nice creatures and animations but the movement is so tricky :twisted:

Dragons & Cavemen - reached screen 8 which is very hard to even get anywhere - lower score still; probably best to max out the points on the first round of 4 screens ;)

First tables

Tales of Dragons and Cavemen

1st McKong 123,550 12pts
2nd Deteacher 95,900 11pts
3rd therealbountybob 92,130 10pts
4th RedThunder 9,220 9pts
5th devwebcl 9,050 8pts
6th carlsson 6,420 7pts
7th jblenkle 800 6pts

Breath of the Dragon
1st Deteacher 800 3pts
2nd therealbountybob 600 2pts
3rd carlsson 100 1pt
4th RedThunder 100 1pt
2pt bonus for anyone completing the first level!

new poll in a day or two :)

• Like 1

Small improvements:

Breath of the Dragon - 200 pts

Tales of Dragons and Cavemen - 9410 pts

I must admit I don't exactly understand the controls and items in ToDaC. Perhaps I should look up some instructions. Despite the tight collision detection in BotD, I kind of prefer that one.

Small improvements:

Breath of the Dragon - 200 pts

Tales of Dragons and Cavemen - 9410 pts

I must admit I don't exactly understand the controls and items in ToDaC. Perhaps I should look up some instructions. Despite the tight collision detection in BotD, I kind of prefer that one.

Found a video

- guess it's ATR version as has intro text etc

I've been harvesting more baddies by waiting for them to get near before getting the eggs. Stun one with the torch while you wait for another to get to you. On some screens you can get a few as they re-spawn too! Not improved score but having lots of fun playing this.

Caveman and Dragon: 137,900!

To make it interesting for yourself (lv8) and McKong (lv9) there will be a 2pt bonus for the highest level reached (score not necessarily the highest) ;)