IGNORED

ColecoVision/ADAM Ultimate SD Wafer Drive (Up to 32GB of storage space)

HDTV1080P

So if the thread never mentioned the word “Wafer Drive” and if an authorized ATARIMAX product did not have a custom label on it with the words “Wafer Drive” on it, then everyone would be happy?

If the answer to that question is yes, then don’t purchase the product. ATARIMAX can always discontinue the label and exiting cartridges can be relabeled without the words “Wafer Drive”. However regardless of what the product is called, it functions exactly the same.

Hey pal - Don't get all obnoxious with respected members of this community because someone figured out your scam. That's not the kind of attitude we welcome here.

Hey pal - Don't get all obnoxious with respected members of this community because someone figured out your scam. That's not the kind of attitude we welcome here.

There is no dishonest scheme or fraud occurring. Your posts are kind of funny. Maybe I should recommend to ATARIMAX that the Wafer Drive should be sold on the Walmart website and other websites.

There is no dishonest scheme or fraud occurring. Your posts are kind of funny. Maybe I should recommend to ATARIMAX that the Wafer Drive should be sold on the Walmart website and other websites.

Ok, now you're just being rude to a moderator for no reason other than people figured out your scam and called you on it. As I said before, had you just been HONEST with what you are selling (and you still refuse to admit those are your stores for some reason) none of this discussion would be taking place. Instead, you might be seeing some sales of the products you are selling. So please do not come here and be obnoxious towards members of this community or the moderators because you got caught being scammy with items you have for sale.

And in case you missed why I feel your original post is scammy:

This is why I feel this entire post is scammy:

- The original poster does not disclose that the storefronts on eBay and Amazon are theirs. (And I apologize if this turns out to be not the case)

- The original poster seemed to be in the know about this item since 2010, but is trying to imply that it's a new product or a revised version of an old product in 2017

- The original poster is trying to convince people that this is "development tool" when it is really just the AtariMax Ultimate SD cart with a different label

If you are interested in an AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart I suggest buying it from the source: https://www.atarimax.com/

However regardless of what the product is called, it functions exactly the same.

I don't fault people for being careful, since there have been instances of people being scammed on the Internet. Fellow AtariAger's are just looking out for their gaming buddies.

That being said, if there are still gamer's in 30 years, that cartridge label might make it more "rare" and interesting (expensive) for a rabid collector! :P

However regardless of what the product is called, it functions exactly the same.

...then why even bother with the new label?

If someone (whether they have the permission of the person that makes the Atarimax Ultimate SD Cartridge or not) comes out with a re-labeled "AtariMax Ultimate SD Cracker Drive" we'd all be just as incredulous.

You also refer to the AtariMax Ultimate SD in these terms (emphasis mine):

also known as Ultimate SD cartridge on its old style label name

Referring to an existing product, still readily available from the original producer at http://atarimax.com/ , as the "old style", when the creator of the Ultimate SD makes no mention on his site of the NEW name nor you as an official flag waver of the NEW name is also an issue.

It simply looks like you bought huge quantities and are trying to make it appear as a new or different product so you get some sales.

• Like 6

Referring to an existing product, still readily available from the original producer at http://atarimax.com/ , as the "old style", when the creator of the Ultimate SD makes no mention on his site of the NEW name nor you as an official flag waver of the NEW name is also an issue.

It simply looks like you bought huge quantities and are trying to make it appear as a new or different product so you get some sales.

This exactly. Maybe it's not quite a "scam" in the true definition of the word, but it's most certainly not being completely "honest" either. Just buy your AtariMax SD Cart from the source. Why even bother buying from a middleman?

• 3 weeks later...

It’s too bad no company makes a BD-ROM drive attachment for classic 8-bit videogame systems, like one finds on modern videogame systems.

USB flash sticks and SD cards have an estimated life span of around 10 years for some brands. 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs up to 100GB and BDXL Blu-ray discs up to 128GB can last up to 1,000 years (Also optical discs are 100% immune to EMP’s, EMI, and RFI).

The latest videogame system like the Microsoft Xbox One X and S have a built in 100GB BD-ROM drive. Even the older Sony Playststation 3 and 4 use 50GB BD-ROM drives since optical discs are cheaper and more reliable compared to SD flash media. Blank recordable 50GB dual layer Blu-ray discs cost around $3.95 each and blank 25GB single layer Blu-ray discs cost around $0.79 each. Much cheaper than a 32GB SDHC card for slightly under $10. For large videogame production professional factory stamped Blu-ray discs most likely run around 25 cents each.

I guess there is no plans to make an optical drive for any of the 8-bit classic videogame systems or 8-bit computer systems.

It’s too bad no company makes a BD-ROM drive attachment for classic 8-bit videogame systems, like one finds on modern videogame systems.

I guess there is no plans to make an optical drive for any of the 8-bit classic videogame systems or 8-bit computer systems.

You used the same sentences/paragraphs on the 5200 forum post ..... are you a bot of some sort?

It's a blessing they don't do it, it would make zero economic sense and nobody that cares would buy it ... as the stockpile of your "wafers" shows.

Seriously call Cardillo (you can find his phone number on the "Castle, the windows people" website) and see if he is interested .... he may actually buy them all.

USB flash sticks and SD cards have an estimated life span of around 10 years for some brands. 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs up to 100GB and BDXL Blu-ray discs up to 128GB can last up to 1,000 years (Also optical discs are 100% immune to EMP’s, EMI, and RFI).

Optical disks are NOT 100% immune to rot or adhesive breakdown. I already have Commercially pressed CD's and DVD's rotting or separated, lets not forget CDRs and DVDR+- that are even more susceptible.

Optical disks are NOT 100% immune to rot or adhesive breakdown. I already have Commercially pressed CD's and DVD's rotting or separated, lets not forget CDRs and DVDR+- that are even more susceptible.

There are some very cheap generic brand of optical discs that are very bad quality and because of impurities in the water or other issues in manufacturing, they might fail in 10 years, but that is very rare (both commercially stamped optical discs and recordable discs). Yes commercially stamped optical discs can last longer then the average recordable disc (1,000+ years). The higher quality name brand CD-R’s, DVD-R, and BD-R, generally last around 100 years using estimated age estimates and lab test to simulate old age. However, the latest DVD-R, and BD-R discs from several different companies claim life spans of around 1,000 years. The optical drive will most likely break in 50 to 100 years. However, placing a 128GB BDXL Blu-ray disc in a time capsule has the potential to last up to 1,000 years. Many hard drives last up to 5 years and many flash drives last up to 8 years.

https://www.slashgear.com/millenniatas-25gb-blu-ray-m-disc-has-1000-year-lifespan-06285189/

Edited by HDTV1080P

The ATARIMAX products including the Ultimate SD Wafer Drive has a lifetime warranty from ATARIMAX. However according to the SD Association, the actual SD card lasts 10 years or more. In theory write cycles last up to 100,000 times or more depending on the brand and model of SD card. However, some brands and models of SD cards offer a lifetime warranty and in theory can last just as long or longer then some game cartridges.

SD Association states that a memory card lifespan depends on how it is manufactured. They say that the current technology, along with normal usage, typically gives the card a lifespan of 10 years or more.”

http://dmimaging.net/memory-card-lifespan/

I think I'm OK with taking my chances with SD cards and their variants over having the bulk and relatively fragility of a moving parts optical drive.

The life expectancy thing is usually overblown anyway. Supposedly all of our floppy disks weren't supposed to make it out of the 80s, but I still have stuff almost 40 years on that still runs fine.

Anyway, if a card happens to go kaput, it's easy enough to get a new one for a few bucks and re-load it. This is not mission-critical fare we're talking about here.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

What a great idea...

Then once it is in memory anyone can copy the rom from there just like the old days.

The only way this would work is a brand new coleco system.

For starters make sure this doesn't run on an ADAM because in 5 seconds of booting CPM I can copy any memory location along with VRAM.

What a great idea...

Then once it is in memory anyone can copy the rom from there just like the old days.

The only way this would work is a brand new coleco system.

For starters make sure this doesn't run on an ADAM because in 5 seconds of booting CPM I can copy any memory location along with VRAM.

Yes one can use CopyCart + 2.0 for the ADAM and copy any cartridge rom image that is up to 32KB in size. That was the most popular cartridge backup software in the 80's and it works with both USB and SD cartridges from ATARIMAX. However in the 21st Century some ColecoVision/ADAM cartridges are now 64KB, 128KB, 256KB. 512KB, 1MB, and larger is planned for the future. This means someone would need to create a new version of CopyCart +2.0 so that up to 2MB size cartridges would be loaded into a 2MB ADAM memory expander that simulates cartridge bank switching. So for the time being unless someone updates outdated ADAM software, no cartridge larger then 32KB can be copied onto a ADAM disk drive or hard drive.

Most people in 2018+ that are playing ColecoVision/ADAM games are using a PC emulator. Where the copy protection would need to be is on the SD media if games were released on SD media instead of cartridge. Preventing people from copying and pasting a rom image from a SD media on a Windows PC would be a good way to prevent the new game from being copied in Windows. To maintain backward compatibility with exiting CoelcoVision/ADAM's the SD Wafer media would need to be readable and unencrypted when used in the Ultimate SD Wafer Drive.

Edited by HDTV1080P

I never used copy cart+ or some of the others.

I directly accessed the memory and took a snapshot.

I could do it through CPM and Smartbasic.

In all honesty I could probably do it from Smartlogo if I really tried despite it being such a benign language.

No matter how you slice it all it is is some machine language about 20 bytes long and a couple of calls.

My philosophy is make a great game and you will be supported by the community. Stop blaming pirates for your losses.

I spent a ton of money on software for my ADAM and my Amiga just to be duped by crappy titles.

I collect ADAM games now for the boxes, cartridge, documentation and the extras that use to come with old adventure games like Zork.

Use the money that would be wasted on copy protection into development and content.

What the community actually needs is an updated IDE kit for the 3 main systems. A2600 Coleco and Intellivision.