IGNORED

Street Fighter II 30th Anniversary SNES Repro [iam8bit]

I got a closer look at that image, and I didn't realize it at first but that board is for Street Fighter Alpha 2 and it's a total match. I guess they just stole random cartridge art and shoved it in there as I really doubt they're doing a special edition of SF2 with compressed files like SFA2 was 20 years ago.

I've never used this term before but I honestly can't think of a better word to describe this than "collectardery", and this is collectardery at it's finest. If you want to play vanilla Street Fighter II for the SNES on original hardware then you can pick up a loose cart for $10 or a complete in box copy for around $20 to $30, so the only people this rerelease is for are people with more dollars than sense and a "I have to own everything!" mentality.

Then again, I suppose I can't really blame Capcom and iam8bit for it. There are people who will obsessively buy every single game for their system of choice complete in box (or worse, sealed) and leave them on the shelf that way just to be able to say they own them. And for those people, well... I'm not sure I can feel bad about them paying $100 for a $10 game.

• Like 1

Ah it's all in good fun and it makes for fun trying to figure out things like what it could have cost them to do it, how they did it since they're out out yet, and what kind of people would buy them and if they'd actually do as intended and use the stuff or not. SF2 is a huge franchise, largest in fighting despite that infuriating those on the SNK side of things (I go between.) :)

The $100 price is undeniably ridiculous considering this probably costs in the $15 - $20 range max to produce even at that low volume. With that said, the limited edition aspect and the popularity of the IP will likely ensure they'll have no trouble selling out at $100, so I can't begrudge them doing it. It *is* interesting though that this is not in partnership with some type of system to play it on. I suspect a good portion of the sales will go to people without some way to actually use the cartridge.

• Like 2

I've never used this term before but I honestly can't think of a better word to describe this than "collectardery", and this is collectardery at it's finest. If you want to play vanilla Street Fighter II for the SNES on original hardware then you can pick up a loose cart for $10 or a complete in box copy for around $20 to $30, so the only people this rerelease is for are people with more dollars than sense and a "I have to own everything!" mentality.

Then again, I suppose I can't really blame Capcom and iam8bit for it. There are people who will obsessively buy every single game for their system of choice complete in box (or worse, sealed) and leave them on the shelf that way just to be able to say they own them. And for those people, well... I'm not sure I can feel bad about them paying $100 for a $10 game.

$10 is way too much for SFII, most copies around here are $5 or less. :P

And of COURSE you can't blame Capcom nor this other outfit, they're businesses ffs -- if I could scoop the yard and sell bagged 'decorative dog shit' for $50 per sack, don't you think I would? "A fool and his money..."

;)

The $100 price is undeniably ridiculous considering this probably costs in the $15 - $20 range max to produce even at that low volume. With that said, the limited edition aspect and the popularity of the IP will likely ensure they'll have no trouble selling out at $100, so I can't begrudge them doing it. It *is* interesting though that this is not in partnership with some type of system to play it on. I suspect a good portion of the sales will go to people without some way to actually use the cartridge.

From what little I have read, I assume reproductions like this are intended for real hardware. I don't know about chipped based hardware clones, but compatibility with emu based clones is spotty at best.

Input Time.

So... I don't think Capcom is here to blame. They have been bombarded lately with retro requests. I inquired back in 2015 or so about licensing Rockman and Forte for an official (Nintendo unlicensed) release. I saw the hoops I had to jump, and the money I had to throw in upfront, and I bailed. They expect those numbers to sell (5K+) I suppose they get those numbers off 1990s Nintendo minimum quantity to publish a game (which was 5,000 units).

Innex/retrobit, Dream Gear/My Arcade, and now Iam8bit have gone to Capcom to license for retro games and carts. So of course they are going to be flying high on expectations. To license a batch of games from Capcom, you are looking at 100K upfront minimum guarantee for a year (or so). So that is probably why they are pricing SFII at $100 and producing 5500 units. At 1000 units produced, in a GOOD quality factory in China, you are talking about $8-10 bucks per unit produced, then you have to pay for freight, import fees, warehousing, etc etc etc etc etc . So about $100K for production, manufacturing, design and logistics, plus $100K licensing fees; that is why they expect to make $500K on this project. So I think even at $60 they could make a decent profit, specially since they are going direct to consumer and not wholesale.

I don't think that a re-release for SFII SNES even if it includes a live Blanka Pet would sell 5500 copies. 500-1000 units at around 65? Yes. 5500 units at $100? NOPE! They probably will sit on a lot of these for a long time, and probably will have to liquidate them at pennies on the dollar to retro stores; I can almost guarantee it. I hope Retrotainment was smart enough to get a good contract in which they get paid upfront and don't have to provide any price insurance.

To give you all some perspective, Iron Commando for SNES (which is a JP exclusive localization, and very expensive cart sold used at over $300 bucks) has sold about 350 direct to consumer copies and about 600 wholesale. This is without listing it on Amazon and Ebay, when listed on those marketplaces we'll get 100 or so extra copies sold. Legend, which was a re-released (which is a $100 used cart, $250 complete in box) has sold around 200 copies direct to consumer (at $40-45 bucks) and about 50 wholesale.

So I don't know why they would agree to a 5500 unit distribution agreement for SFII, why would they pick the worst of the ports and one of the cheapest most common game for SNES (I would have gone with Super SFII) and why would they not pick one of the JP exclusive games to localize them instead of SF (Rockman and Forte). Rockman and Forte at 60-70 bucks special edition, licensed from capcom I see it selling more than 3000 units for sure.

I just don't get their decisions, it seems like they rushed this project to capitalize on the SNES mini (as it is a buzz phrase now) and made bad and costly decisions.

Hopefully next release is a more level-headed one.

Reference: I build game carts for a living.

• Like 2

One isn't going to be using an SNES mini to play this though so if that is the reason, I don't get it (maybe to catch the wave of the nostalgia). As a earlier post said, SFS can be had rather inexpensively, Turbo version maybe $15 or so, SSF2, little more than that, etc.

And why collect this? It's not as if this is some re-release of Earthbound with some extras and and an art book or something.

Why collect it? Because Street Fighter II fans that's why. Go look up Capcom's homepage and also UDON Entertainment. Wikipedia their histories. Look how much stuff both have pedaled in just the last decade. The stuff sells like crack to the fans and there are a ton of obsessive SF2 fans going back to 1991 who stuck with it and far more who have grown into it since. If they'll buy something like a 1-2" thick paperback book with just SF art in it for $50 and hardback for $100 you don't think they'd run out these 5500 copies fast? (Which they did.) It's an easy market to exploit when you look at home much SF merch is out there and people who buy it regularly.

It's far harder even when the originals cost far more with Piko's openness there on his sales to peddle uncommon rarity licensed re-releases than it is to peddle a worldwide craze with a cheap common cart redone in an expensive wrapper which is the opposite.

I love new SNES (and whatever else) games. Totally cool.

I don't get the point of this at all. You can buy SNES Street Fighter for next to nothing, why would you want this in comparison to Championship Edition or SUPER, and who wants to pay $100 for a new box and a poster or whatever? Ick. Rerelease games that are super exepensive to buy, please, if we're gonna go down this route.

you really don't know at this point? It's shelf fodder.

They should really be stocking these in the decorations area of Ikea. You know, the last section of the showroom you go through before the bulk flat pack warehouse area. Collectors can nab one as they're rolling out to collect their Billy cases.

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 1

Ahem...

You also bought out Game Gavel, so... yeah.

Whether you like him or not or Game Gavel or not, that doesn't change that he knows what he's talking about the mechanics and costs behind putting together new old school era carts like this. Jury is out on GG anyway at this point, could stay garbage, could be better off.

Welp, I'll keep anything like this to myself then in the future. :lol:

Yeah it's overly expensive, but I thought it was kinda neat. (Wasn't going to buy it... I'd consider at like $60 or less though.)

Don't! Unless you have a crying baby to feed, I don't judge how people spend their money, and it's none of MY business. You earned it, spend it on whatever you want. I just think this particular product itself is asinine!

Don't! Unless you have a crying baby to feed, I don't judge how people spend their money, and it's none of MY business. You earned it, spend it on whatever you want. I just think this particular product itself is asinine!

Fair enough. I just found it funny how much crap it got.

Although I will say I just saw what appeared to be a new title here, but then I saw later on (and after many pointed out) that it's just plain jane Street Fighter II... That made it lose a lot of value to me.

I shared it figuring someone here MIGHT want a copy, but it seems the general consensus is no on something like this. I'll post up if there's ever another cool release like this, but this still is like 2-3 of ones I shared before and then like no response and/or real interest. :lol: