IGNORED

Street Fighter II 30th Anniversary SNES Repro [iam8bit]

Yes, the splash screen could read: "Congratulations! You've been duped into re-purchasing the same old game from 1992, but these are different times and everyone's a little dumber now. So please enjoy our weak attempt at revisionist history, as 2017 really does not mark the 30th Anniversary of Street Fighter II - The World Warrior". :lol:

• Like 5

In all honesty, I didn't realize it was the same game when I posted it. I thought it was some fancy remixed version, but that ended up not being true.

Knowing now that it was the same game as the original... Kinda disheartening at best. At worst it's almost deceitful of them.

It's long since sold out now, but it's kinda a shame to see "half" effort put into this. Capcom (also iam8bit) just trying to capitalize on the retro hype in the end.

I mean Sega gave us a fake Sega console with Sonic stepping on it plus extra stuff and the code for a game... $80. :lol:

Just another reason I kinda want to start saying "Screw Capcom!"

*hides his copies of Mega Man Legacy Collection 1 and 2*

• Like 1

Do you think people would be more welcoming if the ROM inside the $100 cartridge were alter d in some way, perhaps with a new splash screen with an anniversary message?

Not that it matters since its already sold out.

Totally. If there was something in the program itself that actually made it unique, particularly if there were enhancements in some way, then it would be much more enticing. Otherwise, as-is this is for hardcore collectors and super-fans, that's it.

Four pages of, what I can gather, hate for this cool product. AA, at least you're predictable :D

Now I get that most of you think this is a lame idea, but I think it's great. Street Fighter 2 was huge. Are there really no collectors here? Am I the only guy who thinks it's great to see that a company like Capcom is actually MAKING SNES CARTS in 2017?

Regardless of what you think of the price, there are people out there who are going to be all over this thing like stink on a monkey. Why some of you here would immediately jump on the wagon of basically calling them all idiots is...typical :D I'm not upset, don't get me wrong...it's just that this flavour of haterade (did I actually use that word, yes I did) on AA for collectors of games has grown to be quite vocal.

Well let me be the first to say, hey!...if you don't like this stuff, I'm glad cause it just means more for me :D

And it hasn't sold out because I just ordered one off the Capcom website. It'll look great setting fire to my SNES :D What else am I supposed to spend my money on these days? Bring on more carts, Capcom!

Anyways...that's all I gots ta say about that.

Four pages of, what I can gather, hate for this cool product. AA, at least you're predictable :D

Now I get that most of you think this is a lame idea, but I think it's great. Street Fighter 2 was huge. Are there really no collectors here? Am I the only guy who thinks it's great to see that a company like Capcom is actually MAKING SNES CARTS in 2017?

Regardless of what you think of the price, there are people out there who are going to be all over this thing like stink on a monkey. Why some of you here would immediately jump on the wagon of basically calling them all idiots is...typical :D I'm not upset, don't get me wrong...it's just that this flavour of haterade (did I actually use that word, yes I did) on AA for collectors of games has grown to be quite vocal.

Well let me be the first to say, hey!...if you don't like this stuff, I'm glad cause it just means more for me :D

And it hasn't sold out because I just ordered one off the Capcom website. It'll look great setting fire to my SNES :D What else am I supposed to spend my money on these days? Bring on more carts, Capcom!

Hey, you do you; if you're into something MADE to be "collectible," that's cool. It's just that you could have bought an original for much, much less. You could have bought a better version for much, much less. I think it's pretty reasonable to wonder about items like this when there are cheaper alternatives that you can get, right now. If that's hate, well, so be it.

If this had been some kind of juiced up rom hacked port, I would have had zero qualms. Well, maybe not zero, as a hater, after all, but it would have made much, much more sense to me. A rerelease of something that's common and not as good as subsequent releases is baffling to me.

Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself of justification for your purchase, more than convince us.

• Like 1

Is it really hate? I don't think anyone here hates the game. They hate the price as it's absurd. If they had come out and said we unlocked the four bosses. They added the arcade graphics/audio using the SDD1 compression chip like SFA2 does. Perhaps they'd put a bigger better bundle in there like consoles get (art book for SF2, full sound track on a CD, some keychain(s), stack of stickers, a fuzzy blanka plushie...a nice bundle to justify it great. I'd have bought it.

But when you use (in most cases) a common red cartridge shell, a new sticker, the original SNES code, and a dollars worth of printed extras it's kind of a kick in the teeth. The hate is on Capcom, not the game.

• Like 2

You know something to consider. Remember Unholy Knight for the SNES/SFC? The SNK ex-dev game that had a failed kickstarter yet still somehow came out? It went out at $50 and a few copies moved in those months since it came out, but it failed so hard because it's likely an incomplete game stuffed into the storage they could afford alone, that it turned off most people. You can buy it new for like $20 or less now as it keeps dropping. It may lack a lot of stages, 6 characters, rehashed stage music in a few, and low animation frames but at least it's unique and also complete in box cost far less.

There's also that Shibubiman (shooting platformer mega man-ish like) game for the SFC which had been a satellite game but recently by the developer was recoded to work on a SFC/SNES cart and it too is a complete game and costs like 1/2 the price of SF2 too and for most who aren't Japanese and those who didn't have the satellite access there either it's a new game too.

There's just no real excuse so it's not hate, it's just seeing gouging bloat where there shouldn't be.

Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself of justification for your purchase, more than convince us.

Wow, did you come up with that witty little response yourself? That's great, it's EXACTLY what I was trying to do: thanks so MUCH for spoiling all my FUN!

Anyways.

It's not Nazi hate we're talking about here, it's internet hate, which, to be honest, isn't hate (especially on a forum for old video game enthusiasts). But what I find at least a little baffling still is the fact that NOBODY seems at least a little interested? Or if they are, they don't want to spend the money. Fair enough, but why then the need to come up with all the reasons for 'not' getting in on the action? If anything, multiple posts of THAT kind reek of 'here's why you shouldn't buy the thing I'd like to buy if it weren't priced so high'. And again, no issues for those who don't find this worth it.

Between this and the collective hate for a) physical media (video games or otherwise), b) collecting video games in physical form (as long as you don't pay 'too much', which is the fault of youtubers, of course), it makes me wonder at just what point the general vibe around here was so anti-FUN!

This product is FUN. When's the last time you spend a hundred bucks to get in on a limited product? Hell, it cost me twice as much to go see Metallica and Guns n Roses this year...each. And that was well overpriced as well, but let me tell you what a great fucking time I had and the memories made...just like with this game.

I get how people may roll their eyes at this one, but I'm laughing all the way...can't wait to get mine, fire it up and relive some memories.

And the kicker is this: mark my words, this game's resale will NOT fall below the purchase price. If I want to get rid of it for whatever reason, I simply box it up and onto the bay it goes and I get at least 95% back for my troubles. How can I lose? But let's be honest, this game will fetch at least 200 in the aftermarket, although it may take a year or two to reach that point. And that's something I know about because, my word, I'm a collector as well (gasp!). But I won't be selling this game because it's too cool, and the possibility of getting that green one only adds to the enjoyment. It's also a licensed product to boot. Again, winner winner, chicken dinner.

I mean, you could spend almost as much at the AA store for a game, so why wouldn't I be down for this, if I can? And I can, so I did. And I'm sure at least two of you have done the same thing I did and are fist-pumping in anticipation.

Viva le SNES, via Street Fighter 2 and VIVA LA VIDA LOCA!

...Even if you could eat that pizza, vomit it back up after enjoyment, and sell it for the same 100$ you bought it for so you could buy OTHER pizzas?

Probably true, although I've never sold anything in my entire life.. I'm not sure I even know how. :lol:

I'm not a video game collector but the analogy here is while I may not have the 2017 $100 pizza box, I already have the pizza. Heck I have it x3 (super famicom cart, snes cart, sd2snes) not even counting emulation. Many here have it even more than that. It's actually one of my favorite SNES carts and I play through it relatively frequently with the last time maybe a couple months ago with E-Honda. I'm not hating on the new collectible pizza box/cart, but I am giving it a pass. :)

..can't wait to get mine, fire it up and relive some memories.

So yes, "the game" aside, this is obviously all about the hardware and packaging itself, and the fact that it's the hardware that was released in 2017, and that is the appeal, and there's nothing wrong with that. Just don't go pretending that you're looking forward to firing it up man... something a legion of consoles have already done for the past 2.5 decades. :P

Edited by NE146
  • Like 2

You can buy a complete SNES Street Fighter II (if you dodge the first couple of way overpriced examples) on eBay right now for under 25 bucks. That's if you want a complete one... the cart on it's own is much, much less. Hell, if you don't mind the tiny differences, you can buy a complete Japanese SFII for even less.

• Like 3

You can buy a complete SNES Street Fighter II (if you dodge the first couple of way overpriced examples) on eBay right now for under 25 bucks. That's if you want a complete one... the cart on it's own is much, much less. Hell, if you don't mind the tiny differences, you can buy a complete Japanese SFII for even less.

I actually kinda like the Japanese differences. It's obvious why the bosses got renamed (at least M. Bison to Balrog) and it's a fun little play on words, but Capcom in no way wanted a lawsuit.

• Like 1

You know something to consider. Remember Unholy Knight for the SNES/SFC? The SNK ex-dev game that had a failed kickstarter yet still somehow came out? It went out at $50 and a few copies moved in those months since it came out, but it failed so hard because it's likely an incomplete game stuffed into the storage they could afford alone, that it turned off most people. You can buy it new for like $20 or less now as it keeps dropping. It may lack a lot of stages, 6 characters, rehashed stage music in a few, and low animation frames but at least it's unique and also complete in box cost far less.

There's also that Shibubiman (shooting platformer mega man-ish like) game for the SFC which had been a satellite game but recently by the developer was recoded to work on a SFC/SNES cart and it too is a complete game and costs like 1/2 the price of SF2 too and for most who aren't Japanese and those who didn't have the satellite access there either it's a new game too.

There's just no real excuse so it's not hate, it's just seeing gouging bloat where there shouldn't be.

Wow thanks for saying something. I'll totally get this one for $20. I didn't know it dropped so much.

• Like 1

I was surprised when it went down like a rock. It's very unloved elsewhere and it was pointed out it dropped so far and i remembered it given the complaining about SF2.

If you're curious about the other one Nintendolife covered it: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/05/columbus_circle_is_releasing_a_new_super_famicom_game_this_year

1997's Kaizou Choujin Shubibinman Zero

I'm quite tempted to buy this as it looks really fun. I enjoyed SHOCKMAN on TG16 HuCard and it's that series.

Seems it's up on amazon japan in 2 priced options: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B072F9P1RM/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1494489162&sr=1-2&keywords=%E3%82%B7%E3%83%A5%E3%83%93%E3%83%93%E3%83%B3%E3%83%9E%E3%83%B3%E9%9B%B6&th=1

Edited by Tanooki

Wow, did you come up with that witty little response yourself? That's great, it's EXACTLY what I was trying to do: thanks so MUCH for spoiling all my FUN!

Anyways.

It's not Nazi hate we're talking about here, it's internet hate, which, to be honest, isn't hate (especially on a forum for old video game enthusiasts). But what I find at least a little baffling still is the fact that NOBODY seems at least a little interested? Or if they are, they don't want to spend the money.

Between this and the collective hate for a) physical media (video games or otherwise), b) collecting video games in physical form (as long as you don't pay 'too much', which is the fault of youtubers, of course), it makes me wonder at just what point the general vibe around here was so anti-FUN!

This product is FUN. When's the last time you spend a hundred bucks to get in on a limited product? Hell, it cost me twice as much to go see Metallica and Guns n Roses this year...each. And that was well overpriced as well, but let me tell you what a great fucking time I had and the memories made...just like with this game.

And the kicker is this: mark my words, this game's resale will NOT fall below the purchase price.

Do you make a habit of spending an extra $75 on other existing products? This isn't a case of hating on physical media, as others have said the game can be had for $25. This is simply a collective eye-roll at the ridiculousness shark jumping game hoarding as become. Where folks are willing to plunk down a ton of extra cash simply for fresher cardboard.

Your concert analogy doesn't make sense. That show you saw didn't already exist to be seen at a "normal" price. It would be more like if you went out and spent 70 grand on a base model Honda civic, because the floormats were limited edition.

I don't speculate on video games future pricing when I buy them. They aren't stocks, I play them.

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 3