IGNORED

Street Fighter II 30th Anniversary SNES Repro [iam8bit]

This product is FUN. When's the last time you spend a hundred bucks to get in on a limited product? Hell, it cost me twice as much to go see Metallica and Guns n Roses this year...each. And that was well overpriced as well, but let me tell you what a great fucking time I had and the memories made...just like with this game.

I don't see where the FUN is. It's a reproduction of a game that you can get for much cheaper. How much enjoyment can you get out of a box? If I have a game worth $100 and another copy of the same game worth $6, I'm not going to be playing the $100 version more than once.

It is good to see somebody reproducing old games, but it does beg the question: why this game? Why not reproduce a game that's more difficult to come by. Wouldn't collectors like to see Demon's Crest in a sweet red case or Mega Man X3 in blue? Both of those games already sell for $100 loose, and they're Capcom games too. I guess collectors wouldn't like that because then someone might *gasp* play the game.

• Like 6

I don't see where the FUN is. It's a reproduction of a game that you can get for much cheaper. How much enjoyment can you get out of a box? If I have a game worth $100 and another copy of the same game worth $6, I'm not going to be playing the $100 version more than once.

It is good to see somebody reproducing old games, but it does beg the question: why this game? Why not reproduce a game that's more difficult to come by. Wouldn't collectors like to see Demon's Crest in a sweet red case or Mega Man X3 in blue? Both of those games already sell for $100 loose, and they're Capcom games too. I guess collectors wouldn't like that because then someone might *gasp* play the game.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Rare games reprinted at normal prices would be FUN.

Not common games reprinted at asinine prices. (Like this one)

Something like SNES Hagane for $60 would sell, no problem.

Now there's some shelf queens who might be EXTREMELY butt-hurt their $700+ game might be devalued by a reprint. But their whining is worthless noise, so screw em.

• Like 6

Not going to quote a quote, but I agree with both dean and dreamin there. If you're going to ask that level of a premium price, find something that is harder to come by that fans really would enjoy and want to enjoy playing and not just staring at like some over glorified shelf trophy. If it so happens being a reprint to jack up the value of an original some, even if for maybe only the short run, so what? Why should a developer/publisher re publishing their own game (not making them money for years) care how some collector is going to go postal and break into tears? They'd get paid and people would enjoy their back library once again so many people win. If this is a collection as mentioned and you start seeing the MM games, Demon's Crest, FInal Fight 2 and 3, King of Dragons, and other gems of theirs pop up that's fantastic.

This entire conversation has reminded me of this old thing.

1fk2w4x.jpg

Lol, not even in the slightest.

I have a fully usable SNES collection which consists of a SD2SNES, star fox, Yoshi's Island, kirby dreamland 3 + superstar, Mario RPG. All loose carts.

This copy of SF2 was put together for those with the mindset that bought into this thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lutHF5HhVA

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 1

Every post I've made on this topic has been misconstrued in one way or another.

I linked the comic because it seemed right, but I missed the obvious sour grapes tone (despite being how obvious it is).

Edited by KeeperofLindblum

I have a fully usable SNES collection which consists of a SD2SNES, star fox, Yoshi's Island, kirby dreamland 3 + superstar, Mario RPG. All loose carts.

This copy of SF2 was put together for those with the mindset that bought into this thing:

Haha I had never heard of that before. That is some epic tragic comedy going on right there as it really kind of fits all too well.

33d.jpg

Why would people's opinions affect how much you or anyone else enjoy this game? It's still gonna glow in the dark. It's still overpriced. And it's still gonna be SFII. The opinions in this thread change nothing about the actual product.

Unless other people thinking it was uber cool that someone owned this rare piece was the enjoyment someone was anticipating. "Bragging rights" or some weird thing.

• Like 1

It's expensive, it's redundant, it's for suckers, but there's a new one born every minute.

It's not for me, but I've certainly spent that much money on stupider things.

attachicon.gifyuckmyyum.jpg

True... I have spent money on things that other people would think are dumb as well.

For that price, it would have had much more added value if it was based off of Super Street Fighter 2, maybe a couple of things like small new art book, etc. Just for a repro of the 1st game made for the SNES... nope. To say I hate it is an extreme exaggeration though. Pajamas with feet filled up with poop and diarrhea from your toddler or finding your cat wiping it's butt straight down the carpet... yea, I hate those things.

From Wikipedia's SFII page:

Street Fighter II series[edit]
Main article: Street Fighter II
  • Street Fighter II: The World Warrior
    • Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (Arcade, ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, Atari ST, Commodore Amiga, DOS)
    • Street Fighter II (Game Boy - this version combined elements from the first 4 versions of SFII (Street Fighter II: The World Warrior to Super Street Fighter II))
    • Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (PlayStation - part of Street Fighter Collection Vol. 2(US), Capcom Generation Vol. 5: Fighters(Japan))
    • Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (PlayStation 2 - part of Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 1)
    • Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (Sega Saturn - part of Capcom Generation Vol. 5: Fighters, Japanese release)
    • Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (Super Famicom, Super NES)
    • Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (Wii - downloadable by VC)
  • Street Fighter II' - Champion Edition
    • Street Fighter II' - Champion Edition (TurboGrafx-16 - Japanese release)
    • Street Fighter II' - Champion Edition (Super Famicom, Super NES - part of Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting)
    • Street Fighter II' - Champion Edition (Mega Drive, Genesis - part of Street Fighter II' - Special Champion Edition)
    • Street Fighter II' - Champion Edition (PlayStation - part of Street Fighter Collection Vol. 2(US), Capcom Generation Vol. 5: Fighters(Japan))
    • Street Fighter II' - Champion Edition (PlayStation 2 - part of Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 1)
    • Street Fighter II' (Sega Master System - Brazil-only release)
    • Street Fighter II': Champion Edition (Sega Saturn - part of Capcom Generation Vol. 5: Fighters, Japanese release)
  • Street Fighter II′ Turbo: Hyper Fighting, Street Fighter II' Turbo, Street Fighter II': Hyper Fighting
    • Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting (Super Famicom, Super NES)
    • Street Fighter II' - Special Champion Edition, Street Fighter II' Plus (Mega Drive, Genesis)
    • Street Fighter II' Turbo, Street Fighter II' - Hyper Fighting (PlayStation - part of Street Fighter Collection Vol. 2(US), Capcom Generation Vol. 5: Fighters(Japan))
    • Street Fighter II' Turbo, Street Fighter II' - Hyper Fighting (PlayStation 2 - part of Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 1)
    • Street Fighter II' Turbo: Hyper Fighting (Sega Saturn - part of Capcom Generation Vol. 5: Fighters, Japanese release)
    • Street Fighter II' Turbo: Hyper Fighting (Xbox 360 - downloadable through Xbox Live Arcade, Released August 2, 2006)
  • Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
    • Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (Super Famicom, Super NES)
    • Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (Mega Drive, Genesis)
    • Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (PlayStation - part of Street Fighter Collection (US, Japan))
    • Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (Sega Saturn - part of Street Fighter Collection (US, Japan))
    • Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (Atari ST, Commodore Amiga, DOS)
    • Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (DOS, US release)
A special version of this game, named Super Street Fighter II: Tournament Battle was created to allow eight players to participate in an elimination tournament.

Although not fighting games, the SFII series also contained:

• Street Fighter II Pinball: A pinball arcade game developed by Gottlieb in 1993.

And:

• A card game titled Street Fighter II: World Warriors Card Game
  • An LCD game titled Street Fighter II
  • A board game titled Street Fighter II
  • A competitive spinning-top game similar to that of Beyblade titled Spin Fighters.
  • A slot machine titled "Street Fighter II"

Sheesh!

• Like 1

Hey, lookit that. At least twenty different ways you could enjoy something as good as or better than SFII on SNES right now! Crazy! :D

They missed a role playing game (altho' thinking critically, it may not have been called Street Fighter II; it was a very odd system) and a ridiculous and yet cool Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots-like deal with, eh... Guile and Blanka, I think? Something like that.

Also don't forget the really weird GI Joe Street Fighter II toys (mostly reusing GI Joe parts to make half assed versions of your favorite Street Fighters). Very cheesy. The first series was a subset of GI Joe (so the bad Street Fighters worked for Cobra or whatever) and the second series was just "Street Fighter," I think, altho' they may have been based on the movie. They did make some decent 12-inch toys, tho'. I may have a Ryu around here, somewhere.

• Like 1

You know what would have been cool is something I mentioned earlier within that price if it was at all possible. Use the SDD1 chip if possible and throw the original SF2 (CE) on a cartridge with the original audio/visuals compressed to fit with that chip set onto a SNES cart. That would be totally worth the price given the expense behind that. Can't hurt to think of fun things that would still fit the mold.

• Like 1

Also don't forget the really weird GI Joe Street Fighter II toys (mostly reusing GI Joe parts to make half assed versions of your favorite Street Fighters). Very cheesy. The first series was a subset of GI Joe (so the bad Street Fighters worked for Cobra or whatever) and the second series was just "Street Fighter," I think, altho' they may have been based on the movie. They did make some decent 12-inch toys, tho'. I may have a Ryu around here, somewhere.

Hey don't touch my favorite line of GI Joes! lol I love these and MK ones.

For 100 bucks they could have added the CD quality music sound track and cartoon animations to the ROM using the MSU1.

Edited by PikoInteractive
  • Like 1

You know what would have been cool is something I mentioned earlier within that price if it was at all possible. Use the SDD1 chip if possible and throw the original SF2 (CE) on a cartridge with the original audio/visuals compressed to fit with that chip set onto a SNES cart. That would be totally worth the price given the expense behind that. Can't hurt to think of fun things that would still fit the mold.

Can you think of any reason why they could not use a multicart or expanded memory cartridge and ship all 4 SNES games on one cartridge, a la Super Mario All-Stars? World Warrior, Turbo, Super, Alpha 2? THAT would be more plausible as an expensive collectible.

• Like 2

Can you think of any reason why they could not use a multicart or expanded memory cartridge and ship all 4 SNES games on one cartridge, a la Super Mario All-Stars? World Warrior, Turbo, Super, Alpha 2? THAT would be more plausible as an expensive collectible.

Gold-Plated-brand-name-ICs-fully-assembled PCBs for Multicart SNES cost $6.5 in large quantities, they would definitely been able to reach that price with the quantities. And they could have put at least SFII, SFII Turbo, and Super SFII with no extra hardware.

Super Mario All Stars is not multicart though, it is a compiled build of the port of the games with 16bit graphics. I think it is the same with the one with SMW.

Edited by PikoInteractive
  • Like 1