IGNORED

Street Fighter II 30th Anniversary SNES Repro [iam8bit]

Well, I own one so I'll time it, but (edit: I'm positive) it takes more than 60 seconds to load (for example) Final Fantasy III.

The point is, you're whining about something that at the end of the day is very trivial. And not just whining, but potentially misinforming and misleading newcomers to flash carts. That's not cool in my book.

I just got a (bootleg?) Chinese Everdrive for my hdmi Genesis clone. I foolishly picked a larger game (Earthworm Jim 2, chosen at random) and was WORRIED when I saw ERASING and SHOCKED when I saw how long it took to load.

Smaller games are okay, and I understand what to expect now, but when someone is used to instant loads from a cartridge or an emulator, any pause is disconcerting.

Load times suck no matter the medium.

The more egregious fault, from where I sit, is having to power off the system to get back to the menu. Like an animal!

I just got a (bootleg?) Chinese Everdrive for my hdmi Genesis clone. I foolishly picked a larger game (Earthworm Jim 2, chosen at random) and was WORRIED when I saw ERASING and SHOCKED when I saw how long it took to load.

I hope you didn't pay much for that then. It sounds like it might be based off the old Everdrive MD which did not have fast loading. All of the current models (including the $50 X3) on Krikzz's site have instant loading.

The point is, you're whining about something that at the end of the day is very trivial. And not just whining, but potentially misinforming and misleading newcomers to flash carts. That's not cool in my book.

This is just blatantly not true. The first Everdrive I ever owned was my Mega Everdrive X5, and it loads things darn near immediately. I was extremely disappointed to pay more for a Super Everdrive just for it to offer a far less convenient experience. I should have sent it back and bought an SD2SNES, but at this point I've had it too long. This thing feels like a Chinese clone (see Flojomojo's experience with his Genesis clone cart). That's excusable when you pay $30 from a shady dealer on aliexpress. It's not acceptable when you pay more than $100 for one of Krikzz's official carts (with the DSP1/2/3/4 emulation) from an official reseller.

BTW, it took 80 seconds to load Final Fantasy III after previously playing Super SF2. Took around the same time to switch back. I can change carts faster than that.

Edited by derFunkenstein

Yeah.. the only cart I have now that has to "load" is the old Gameboy Everdrive and man that is annoying :lol: (course now he fixed it with the newer models right after I bought one :() Seriously though.. when it comes to flashcarts yknow how sometimes you can jump from rom to rom checking out stuff? Well with the load and erase times that pretty much negates doing that too much.

But yes.. the rest e.g. the Turbo, NES, Genesis, GBA everdrives all load pretty much instantly that I can see... Same for the SD2SNES.

This is just blatantly not true. The first Everdrive I ever owned was my Mega Everdrive X5, and it loads things darn near immediately.

You clearly haven't been around flash carts very long then. :)

With the Super Everdrive, I get that it might be annoying if you're used to no load times, but even then you are talking a price difference of over $110 between it and the SD2SNES. I think most people will be able to put up with it on the $85 solution. And if not, the question begs: are you even playing the games you're loading? Heh.

For you specifically, if you are really that frustrated with it, you should resell it for what you paid and shell out the difference for the higher end model. Marketplace history here has shown that flash carts are pretty easy sales. Send it over to someone who will appreciate it.

Smaller games are okay, and I understand what to expect now, but when someone is used to instant loads from a cartridge or an emulator, any pause is disconcerting.

Load times suck no matter the medium.

The more egregious fault, from where I sit, is having to power off the system to get back to the menu. Like an animal!

That's because it's loading into flash memory and not RAM like the newer ones. It takes longer and has a limited amount (more than you will ever use) of rewrites. On the plus side though it does stay in the flash memory even when you turn it off. Which is nice if you stay dedicated to one game for a while.

• Like 1

I hope you didn't pay much for that then. It sounds like it might be based off the old Everdrive MD which did not have fast loading. All of the current models (including the $50 X3) on Krikzz's site have instant loading.

Good to know, thanks. It was indeed super cheap, I just wanted to dip my toe in. It does maintain the game on flash so the game remains after powering off. Now that I understand how the loading is supposed to work, I am no longer SHOCKED by it.

I have done it several times. Even with the MSU1 going at the same time. Which is quite impressive if you think about it. Makes you wonder just how far the SNES can go with extra processors in the cart alone.

People managed to live stream video and audio into it, so I guess you can run anything on a cart then feed the outputs through the SNES?

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/01/how-a-robot-got-super-mario-64-and-portal-running-on-an-snes/

The Super Gameboy does it already, it has a real GB hardware inside and uses the SNES for controls and display.