IGNORED

List of games that needed Translator to work with XLs?

leech

Is there a list of games out there that needed Translator?

I recall a few that either didn't work or were extremely buggy on the XL unless you booted up the translator disk first.

Lucifer's Realm : the images didn't show after you went past the first screen or two in Hell. I honestly thought it'd become just a text adventure after that until I loaded it with Translator.

Mario Bros. : The music was weird on my 800XL, can't recall if Translator fixed this or not, but I think it did.

Shamus : Another somewhat recent thread reminded me that this also was broken, but seems it was already patched.

I can't recall if The Quest needed it, or we just figured out at one point that there was a loop in our version where you had to keep hitting the Break key for it to finally continue loading...

Maybe instead of the list, we can find the patched games that used to not work on post 800 machines without it?

Here's a list from Atarimania.

http://www.atarimania.com/faq-atari-400-800-xl-xe-what-programs-run-only-on-the-400-and-800-models-and-why_68.html

Keep in mind that the list might be incomplete, My cassette copy of Blue Max won't work on my 600XL without the Translator disk and it's not on the list.

Edited by The Mr. Video
  • Like 1

Homesoft has made patched XEX versions of almost all of these games so you no longer need a Translator Disk in order to run them on a XL/XE machine. You can find them here :

http://www.mushca.com/f/atari/index.php?idx=0

I second the comment from SS, there are only a small few games that haven't been fixed to work on the XL. Actually, today, the shoe is on the other foot. In 1983, no one wanted a 1200XL because it wasn't compatible with several 400/800 titles, but today there are several titles that won't run on the 400/800 due to RAM. You can also try www.atarionline.pl and you will find multiple versions of the same game. The old OSB version and the newer XL fixed version.

• Like 2

Nice, that's really good to know!

I recall at one point that I decided I wanted to finally complete Lucifer's Realm, but was stuck, so found a walk through online, but I think that it was either poorly written or written for a different language then translated, because it wasn't quite 100% right, so I attempted to fix it, but still never quite completed (stupid hard drive crash).

Thanks for the input!

I'll need to give this thread a closer look this weekend. I know that I was playing "Ghost Hunter" on my 800XL via a UNO Cart.

On closer inspection, almost all of the games mentioned in that thread are available on the Homesoft site in fixed XL/XE versions.

• Like 1