IGNORED

How big are your collections of games?

GeekDragon

I have been collecting video games seriously for about a year now. My brother and I live together and have combined our collections. We have been gaming since the 2600 days, so we had a modest collection when we started seriously collecting. We are now over 1160 games total(163 2600 games), spanning from Odyssey 2 to PS4, XBOne, Switch with 23 systems, all hooked up and playable. We just added 5 games yesterday. Just curious. Not trying to boast or anything. I love hearing about how big people's collections are and seeing pics. No collection is too small.

I know. Like I said, I just started seriously collecting. I'm working on it though. I just need a good game con here in the midwest, besides midwest gaming expo(which was awesome this year by the way). My system count does not include handhelds.

Edited by GeekDragon

I've been collecting for 20 years and I have maybe 500 games total. I don't buy or keep everything, just stuff that I want. Even so, I end up with a lot of junk through buying lots for one or two items. Those things usually eventually get sold/traded, although not always because it's easier to let them collect dust. I try to do purges every once in a while. Sometimes I do end up regretting sales, especially of systems. Games I rarely regret selling because they're usually cheap and easy to replace. But a nice system complete in box is often really expensive and hard to find.

When I was starting out, I did try to hoard basically everything I could. I belong to a retro game FB group here on Long Island and some of those guys are just constantly going out and coming home with like an entire U-haul full of stuff. Not only do I not understand how they have money for this, I don't get where they put it all. Even with my relatively modest collection (by modern collecting standards), I feel like I just have game stuff all over my house. I don't think there's a room in my house without at least one game system in it, and usually more than that. I guess the bathrooms I've kept game free, at least on a permanent basis.

When I started to see this happening to my house is when I started culling. And now I'm just a lot more selective. If it's common and easy to get, I generally don't want it unless I have some real personal nostalgia for it.

• Like 2

I had to sell my collection completely at the beginning of the year due to a family emergency. At that time, I had several retro systems with a fair amount of games for each. Well, things are looking up and I've started to rebuild my collection again, starting with the 2600. Right now, I have 33 games. Not enough to take a good picture, but it's getting there.

I have been collecting video games seriously for about a year now. My brother and I live together and have combined our collections. We have been gaming since the 2600 days, so we had a modest collection when we started seriously collecting. We are now over 1160 games total(163 2600 games), even more then our 3d printer filament collection. spanning from Odyssey 2 to PS4, XBOne, Switch with 23 systems, all hooked up and playable. We just added 5 games yesterday. Just curious. Not trying to boast or anything. I love hearing about how big people's collections are and seeing pics. No collection is too small.

Man that's awesome. I was just contemplating starting a collection. Like start from Atari (My first video game console), commodore, Sega mega drive / genesis and even that amazing Terminator game I played on a console called 'Pegasus'. I believe it was 8 bit or 16. This is more motivation then anything so thanks for sharing.

I'd say my collection is pretty modest now. It spans about a dozen classic systems and computers with about 400 games. Used to be a lot bigger but as others have mentioned, space is at a premium in a smaller house and I don't buy things outside my sphere of interest. I used to just buy everything and stick it on a shelf but that kind of collection doesn't interest me anymore. I only keep what I play and enjoy.

I've been paring down over the last few years and focusing more on a few systems I really enjoy rather than trying to get everything. I've got about 350 Atari 2600 games, close to 100 Intellivision games, maybe 30 or so games each for the Colecovision and Odyssey2 and a handful of games for about every other 16-bit or earlier system, but most of that stuff is trade bait at this point.

I currently own a 2600 jr, NES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox one, PS1, PS2, PS4, gameboy, gameboy color, gameboy pocket, ds lite, dsi XL, 3ds, and a psp

over these consoles I have roughly 500 games if you include downloaded games

http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/collection.pl

this website is what I use to track all my games, it has very detailed lists with every version of every game released, even more extensive then the atariage ones for these games, maybe I will try and use that info on this site someday to help them update it

Man that's awesome. I was just contemplating starting a collection. Like start from Atari (My first video game console), commodore, Sega mega drive / genesis and even that amazing Terminator game I played on a console called 'Pegasus'. I believe it was 8 bit or 16. This is more motivation then anything so thanks for sharing.

No problem. I'm sure our collection is nothing to compared to others, but that's cool. We all collect differently, have collection's that are either smaller or larger then others, but we all share one common bond, we all love games and enjoying talking about them, and that's what really counts.

yo I've been collecting for about 5 years now and the collection has gotten pretty huge in my opinion.

I mainly go for 2600 & NES and now have over 400 games for each of those.

I buy cheap so it doesn't cost me very much, so that means I don't have many expensive games that I'd like to have. Still lots of fun to search & find good deals on lots or just cheap game stuff. And, due to picking up those cheap lots, I have a crapload of duplicates and stuff I don't care to keep, "trade bait" as Kaeru called it :)

yo I've been collecting for about 5 years now and the collection has gotten pretty huge in my opinion.

I mainly go for 2600 & NES and now have over 400 games for each of those.

I buy cheap so it doesn't cost me very much, so that means I don't have many expensive games that I'd like to have. Still lots of fun to search & find good deals on lots or just cheap game stuff. And, due to picking up those cheap lots, I have a crapload of duplicates and stuff I don't care to keep, "trade bait" as Kaeru called it :)

I am guessing you don't do label variations.

Most collections are "of good intentions". They go astray and sour when a good base of great titles has been built and the collection shifts to fringe material. Do you get label variations of a C- game? Do you branch off and start chasing after PAL (or NTSC) variations?

Soon it sprawls out of control and becomes neither fun to play with, or look at, or show off. Having gone full circle, that's how I see it.

Is it true that "most" collections sprawl out of control?

Sure, it happens, but in my experience that doesn't seem to be the case most of the time, just as most oenophiles aren't alcoholics. The people I've known who collect something -- and I've known collectors of all sorts of different things over the decades -- haven't let it take over their lives.

Most collections are "of good intentions". They go astray and sour when a good base of great titles has been built and the collection shifts to fringe material. Do you get label variations of a C- game? Do you branch off and start chasing after PAL (or NTSC) variations?

Soon it sprawls out of control and becomes neither fun to play with, or look at, or show off. Having gone full circle, that's how I see it.

Depends on the collector and WHY they collect. If someone collects just to put things on a shelf then yes, I can see your point. However collectors who play their collections don't have that problem IMO. Label variations are interesting to a point if they are vastly different. Zellers carts for instance. In my case the Zellers versions are easier to acquire than the original like Laser Volley which is almost common around here but Laser Gates is not.

• Like 2

I've been collecting for nearly 30 years, have about 2000 games spread out on platforms from the Odyssey to the Switch. The only classic systems I've really focused on in recent years are the 2600, Intellivision and their late 70s-early 80s ilk (and now that I've completed an o2 set and have multicarts for others it's cooled a bit more). Beyond that I just get things I'm interested in playing sometime (though I also have a number of things I got in lots or were gifted I haven't culled yet).

Depends on the collector and WHY they collect. If someone collects just to put things on a shelf then yes, I can see your point. However collectors who play their collections don't have that problem IMO. Label variations are interesting to a point if they are vastly different. Zellers carts for instance. In my case the Zellers versions are easier to acquire than the original like Laser Volley which is almost common around here but Laser Gates is not.

Got any extra Zellers carts?

I've seen kind of a trend with collectors, whatever it is they collect. When they first start, they (we?) buy anything and everything related to the hobby. But after time they become more knowledgeable, more discerning and start to focus more on specific items they really enjoy.

• Like 4

I've got 329 games or there abouts across 15 systems with the NES, PSX and PC taking up a large chunk of that. I've gone digital only (flashcart/usb hdd/sd card) for consoles like the SNES, GC, Wii and Wii U to keep the amount of physical games I have in my house to a minimum. I've been thinking of doing it with the PS2 as well but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm very weary of being overrun by games personally, it had a pretty negative effect last time. I've been collecting since the late 90s.