IGNORED

How big are your collections of games?

GeekDragon

I've seen kind of a trend with collectors, whatever it is they collect. When they first start, they (we?) buy anything and everything related to the hobby. But after time they become more knowledgeable, more discerning and start to focus more on specific items they really enjoy.

This was me. I'm solidly in the back phase of that now, only buying select games and items that look interesting to me.

I'm still at about a couple thousand titles, all told, across 30 or 40 platforms. Though to be fair, some of that is padded with copied computer games that are on a single floppy with five or six other games (or more, or less).

small

GTFO. :P

I've seen kind of a trend with collectors, whatever it is they collect. When they first start, they (we?) buy anything and everything related to the hobby. But after time they become more knowledgeable, more discerning and start to focus more on specific items they really enjoy.

Yep that was me and it got overwhelming and I did a major purge and I've been slowly downsizing ever since. Now I'm focused on the systems that mean the most to me and I don't stray too far from it now.

• Like 1

I have countless thousands of boxed cartridge and computer games. Frankly, with greater than 500+ videogame and computer systems, I'm at the point now where I'm more interested in dramatically downsizing than increasing my collection. The thrill of the hunt is not quite as thrilling and obviously the space all this takes up in my otherwise large basement is obnoxious and limiting.

Another factor, of course, is time, since as a 44-year-old man with a large family, day job, and multiple freelance positions that are fairly demanding, I have so little of it. Of that limited time, I also find myself putting 90% of my gaming efforts into modern gaming, since the options there are so incredibly numerous as well and there's a lot less bulk with the more digital nature of it all. It also tends to be considerably more convenient, and has the added bonus of already being integrated into my home theater and computing stations.

My new "dream" is to downsize to the vintage hardware essentials and key flash media, and get rid of everything else. No easy task, as that could be a full-time job in and of itself.

• Like 2

My new "dream" is to downsize to the vintage hardware essentials and key flash media, and get rid of everything else.

The first part of that is a primary goal of mine as well in classic gaming including (and perhaps especially) the elimination of the need for optical drives where possible. Although my primary motivation there is for ease of use.

The second part, well.. :)

• Like 1

A nice post to be sure..

I have countless thousands of boxed cartridge and computer games. Frankly, with greater than 500+ videogame and computer systems, I'm at the point now where I'm more interested in dramatically downsizing than increasing my collection. The thrill of the hunt is not quite as thrilling and obviously the space all this takes up in my otherwise large basement is obnoxious and limiting.

Another factor, of course, is time, since as a 44-year-old man with a large family, day job, and multiple freelance positions that are fairly demanding, I have so little of it. Of that limited time, I also find myself putting 90% of my gaming efforts into modern gaming, since the options there are so incredibly numerous as well and there's a lot less bulk with the more digital nature of it all. It also tends to be considerably more convenient, and has the added bonus of already being integrated into my home theater and computing stations.

Yes.. The thrill of the hunt is not as thrilling as the space consumed.

Consoles, boxes, manuals, hardware, cartridges, adapters, controllers, cables, display stands, and more.. All that.. All that is fine if you are a serious collector with a nicely groomed and curated collection. But in reality it's a necessary burden born of primitive technology.

Today we don't need all that paraphernalia. And that's a good thing. New games can be played on 1 or 2 new consoles. And everything pre-PS2 can be emulated or enjoyed through remakes. The beauty part here is all this can be done on 1 single STB/NUC/ITX box. And this box can be small enough to be totally out of sight, like velcro'd to the back of a flatscreen if you want to go to extremes.

My new "dream" is to downsize to the vintage hardware essentials and key flash media, and get rid of everything else. No easy task, as that could be a full-time job in and of itself.

I'm wondering if having a staging area/cache would be a useful aid in reducing large collections? Like filling up the garbage. And for 6 months as you go through your main collection you simply put unwanted material in the cache. The staging area acts as an undo button. Thus eliminating the worry of making a regretful mistake. At the end of 6 months, if you've not had to retrieve anything, out it goes! You don't need it. Curbside, Goodwill, ebay, marketplace, whatever. It's gone!

Don't actually own all of those systems. I have a 2600jr, 7800, Super Retro Trio, N64, Ps2, Game Cube with gameboy player, wii and ps3. Looking to add a Colecovisio and XBox 360 next. PS4 and possibly Intellevision and a regular Genesis with 32x. I play everything but the 7800 (which is broken), the n64 which my wife usually plays and the actual gamecube (sees a ton of use for the gameboy player) at least a few times a month. Ps3 is my most used as I play all my ps1 games on it.bf11d5a648f35b0e1da7dda398a39a49.jpg

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

Coleco/ Adam

Sega Master System

Sega Game Gear

Sega Genesis/ Sega Nomad

Sega CD

Sega Saturn

Sega Dreamcast

Nintendo NES

Nintendo SNES

Game Boy/ pocket

Game Boy Color

Nintendo GBA

Nintendo N64

Nintendo Virtual Boy

Nintendo Game Cube

Panasonic 3DO

Amiga CD32

Philips CDi

Microsoft XBox

Neo Geo pocket color/ b&w

Gamate

Wonderswan B&W/ Color

PSP

Atari VCS

Atari 8-bit

Atari 5200

Atari 7800

Atari ST

Atari Lynx

Atari Jaguar

Atari Portfolio

Commodore 64

Commodore Amiga

IBM compatible

Apple Macintosh

Sony Playstation 1 & 2

Apple 2

Sharp MZ-700

Had and collected for all these systems above (bet I missed out a few), amassed ~5000 games.

Now I only collect for consoles/computers marked RED, halved the collection, ~2500 games perhaps

Still have some games for consoles I don't collect for anymore, eg Sega Genesis, SNES, Wonderswan, PSP etc....

Edited by high voltage

My collection runs the gamut from pong, to Xbox 360, but it's kinda modest for now, only 93 Atari games and 2 2600 consoles, and only about 20 or so consoles and computers, the rarest being my Commodore sx-64 executive computer.

List:

Consoles:

Pong: 2x APF Tv Fun (402 sportarama w gun, 406 color Match)

Atari: 2x 2600 (1977 Sunnyvale Heavy Sixer/ may 1980 TRW/Taiwan made light sixer, 93 games)

Nintendo : NES(001, US, "Toaster" 17 games), SNES (001, us, 1992, 17 games) N64 (in box, 10 games) 2x Gameboy (original/Color, 12 games)

SEGA: 2X Genesis (mark 2, one in official SEGA carry case, 8 games)

Sony: 3x PlayStation 1 (1996 w AV output s, 1999, multi out, 2001, slim) 2x PlayStation 2 (scph-3001 "fat"/ scph-9001 "slim")

Microsoft: Xbox (original) 2x Xbox 360 (2008, "arcade" 20Gb, white/ 2012 250 GB "s" slim, black, 55 games)

Computer

Apple: Apple 2e, 1982 (monochrome monitor, 2x AppleWriter floppy drive, joystick, beige)

Atari: 1979 400 (2 games),1983 600XL (w/1047 letter quality printer NOS, unused, in box)

Commodore: 1983 VIC-20, 1984 Sx-64 "executive" suitcase computer, stainless steel on gray, 1988 C64-C (Amiga 600 style, white wedge), 1541 floppy drive, monitor, mps 802 and 803 printers, datastette drive.

Packard Bell Vx588 (NRI engineer kit, NOS in box, unassembled, B/W 9" monitor NOS in box, Star Micronics printer, NOS

Radio Shack:TRS-80 Color Computer 2,( 16k extended BASIC, in box, white, 6 games, 2 joysticks in box) Tandy 1000 Ibm compatible

Texas Instruments: 2x Ti-994a (1981 stainless steel on black/ 1983 beige, to tape drive, 5 games)

Tixex Sinclair: Ts-1000,(w/ Sinclair adapter

Edited by Polybius