IGNORED

800XL has very warm antic chip

hueyjones70

I have been working on an 800XL that would boot up then go to a blank screen after about 1 minute, sometimes sooner. I noticed that the antic chip got very warm so I swapped it out with another and got the same results. How warm should the antic chip get, this one gets warm enough that it is uncomfortable to touch. Are there any former techs out there that know anything about troubleshooting motherboards. I know that the normal procedure is to just get another one but there must be someone who used to actually fix things instead of just replacing them.

Diagnostics over 6000 miles distance is not the best idea, but I didn´t want your thread not narrated... the ANTIC could get a little bit warmer than other chips, except the CPU. After 10 minutes of operation the CPU ist in 99 of 100 cases the hottest one. Some CPU will be so warm, that you instinctive remove your finger from it. But ANTIC normally should not get so hot... some versions, dependent on the manufacturer, get warmer then others, but I would say, try the RAMs and CPU first.

• Like 1

I have been working on an 800XL that would boot up then go to a blank screen after about 1 minute, sometimes sooner. I noticed that the antic chip got very warm so I swapped it out with another and got the same results. How warm should the antic chip get, this one gets warm enough that it is uncomfortable to touch. Are there any former techs out there that know anything about troubleshooting motherboards. I know that the normal procedure is to just get another one but there must be someone who used to actually fix things instead of just replacing them.

With very little go on here, it sounds like you have a failing power supply that is cooking your Atari(s) when it warms up. If I were you, I would ensure that you are using one of the known-good types of power supply before continuing.