IGNORED

Atari 'Retro' Handheld - funstock

In the 70's Atari was started with something like $300. Today we need thousands or millions to even think about something.. :thumbsdown:

Bullshit! You have resources at your disposal that the Atari engineers couldn't even begin to imagine. Gamemaker, Unity, HTML5, Swift, Lua, unlimited cloud compute and storage, all the documentation, and plenty of stores for distribution. 3D printing, full computers that cost less than $30, mobile devices that run circles around supercomputers of old. Discussion forums about game design. Real time text and voice chat, streaming broadcast of gameplay.

All Atari did was get there first. Then they sat on the top of their 1977 silicon mountain as if everyone else would stand still forever.

To somehow equate the current environment of opportunity to "50 channels and nothing on" is just making excuses. No one needs venture funding or Kickstarter backing to make an idea a reality.

• Like 3

Does this mean UK and other European territories wont get the AtGames Flashback stuff, which looks a whole lot better in every way?

I don't know about Europe as a whole, but I've heard that in Sweden it is a bit like the Wild West when it comes to AtGames products. There is at least one appointed distributor who also are selling the devices themselves, but several of the smaller and larger resellers are grey importing Flashbacks directly from AtGames or other overseas distributors. It means that while prices are higher over here (due to VAT, shipping costs, currency exchange rates etc), there will be very little margin for resellers on the Flashback devices as everyone try to find parallel ways to import the devices for less and keep prices low.

Good for the customer, bad for the brand and customer support. Very bad for the appointed distributor who sees their deal become almost worthless.

Then again I don't know if this handheld makes any difference, if there even will be a distributor that sells it alongside or instead of AtGames' products.

• Like 1

Bullshit-shit on all kickstarters. It's another middleman. Kickstarter is betting on you coming up with something good.

The house always wins!

Petyr Baelish: Sometimes when I try to understand a person's motives, I play a little game. I assume the worst. What's the worst reason they could possibly have for saying what they say and doing what they do? Then I ask myself, "How well does that reason explain what they say and what they do?"

From Game of Thrones – Season 7 Episode 7: ‘The Dragon and the Wolf’ (7×07)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is a European only product that has nothing to do with AtGames. Atari chose to license the rights to a similar product to another company for the European product. It is actually inferior to what the AtGames offering is for this year (and even last), although some clearly like the case design on this one.

How so Bill, Is the emulation not as good as AtGames or is it running a NOAC?

When FunStock adds an SD cartridge slot AtGames will have some serious competition, ridges beat HDMI :)

How so Bill, Is the emulation not as good as AtGames or is it running a NOAC?

When FunStock adds an SD cartridge slot AtGames will have some serious competition, ridges beat HDMI :)

I don't know about the quality of the emulation, but it has fewer games, is missing some features, has a smaller screen, and has no SD card slot. That was my only point.

• Like 1