IGNORED

Ugh Media Mail

Flojomojo

Free shipping, the auction said. Seller feedback was fine. Item price was higher than I thought it should be, but on par with the others selling the same thing.

Four days later, and my thing is still in the shippers home state of Illinois. Its not like its stuck in Houston, this is the fault of Media Mail, or ship it when you feel like it so shipper saves fifty cents.

Video games are not even permitted to be sent via Media Mail. If the post office opens it and adds postage due, I will be pissed. I would have to go to the PO to fetch it and pay extra.

First Class would have arrived yesterday at the latest. I typically send things out with Priority Mail.

Never again. Next time, I amgoing to look for the shipping method, and if it says Media Mail, I will pre-emptively block the seller for being a dumbass.

• Like 3

I had some asshat send me a 4 switch atari a few weeks ago as media mail, came with a bill, returned to sender completed a ebay complaint, cause yea now I am out having to go out of my way to the specific post office 20 min away from where I am at most of the day ... WORK

seriously, when someone is charging me 11 bucks though ebay calculations for priority, which is often overpriced, and they try to scavenge a couple extra bucks by sending it media mail, fk them

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 3

Yep, some sellers are cheap and dumb. My next eBay handle will be "donotsendmediamail."

All my payments to the seller include this in the messages:

"put in a box and USE bubble wrap"

"$2.50 worth of bubble wrap is a lot cheaper than eBay returning my money and you paying to return broken goods"

If it's not some jerk trying pull one over, it's a dummie that doesn't realize putting a heavy fragile plastic item loose in a box is BAD.

With eBay, sometimes it seems its either shipped slow or broken.icon_sad.gif

Ebay really cared, it would have an option to report shady shipping.

• Like 2

I've gotten things in media mail that weren't supposed to be in media mail. If it was delivered without being discovered, I take perverse pleasure in taking my stuff to post office and show them, and tell them the sender used the service illegally. They take down the sender's address probably to pass it to other post office to start inspecting them and refuse pickup from the said sender.

• Like 2

I've had a game or two in the last month come through the mail media mail when I paid for first class and one of those 2 is still outstanding and I'm pretty pissed about it. If the one still floating ends up me paying I'll be calling ebay to get refunded and that dude harassed by ebay over it too.

It's bad enough if someone puts media mail on the listing, I won't buy those unless it's well media (duh) but when you lie and put expedited(priority) or first class and do it you're a piece of crap.

I don't like media mail because it reflects the seller's mindset. Cheap Cheap Cheap! Lazy Lazy Lazy! I bought a book one time, and it was shipped media mail. It was in an envelope, just a plain paper envelope. And thus had the usual wear and tear damage, kinks, bashed-in corners.

So after that one single experience I totally refuse Media Mail. And I won't bid on something that ships by Media Mail. I'll also Neg you pretty quickly if I pay for standard shipping and it comes via MM.

I ate $2 in shipping a few days ago because I had to use a "if it fits, it ships" box due to the post office being out of the size I needed.
It's a freaking dollar or two. I don't see anyone getting rich that way any times soon.
I'd rather the buyer be happy.

Now if I could get them to leave feedback.
"I'm waiting on a video cable from Europe"
And that would change how the item was listed somehow?

• Like 1

In defense of media mail: there's nothing wrong with it if the method and actual delivery window is stated up-front; the item(s) shipped matches USPS restrictions, and the package can reasonably survive rough treatment. I'm not bothered by its existence as such.

That being said, I've run up against all of the issues others have shared up-thread, at one time or another over the years. The problem always lies with the shippers -- not the means itself -- who are either uninformed, careless, cheap, or all three. In my experience, they are always unapologetic when confronted with discrepancies between advertised shipment method and the MM swap-in (re: Tanooki's comments).