IGNORED

Stella - PC Keyboard input not working

Tidus79001

I have tried 2 homebrews today using Stella 5.0.2 to try out D.K VCS and cannot get the game to respond to the keyboard input. I have checked the Input Settings in Stella for the game and confirmed the the keys are mapped.

P0 Fire = Space, Left CTRL

P1 Fire = F

F1 and F2 are seem to be performing their respective functions. It seem to be on the fire button and without this working I have been unable to start the game using the keyboard.

It only seems to be homebrews having this issue as I have tested actual released/licensed games and they are working without issue.

*was having issues with Princess Rescue earlier but it is working now (not sure why it wasn't and now is and I have confirmed the D.K. VCS matches the setup for that game). Is there something simple that I am missing and should check. Have been searching for a while and not coming up with anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

As soon as DK VCS starts, you have to wait until the title screen comes up. Then you can press Space (for Fire) to start the game. It seems that F2 (or Reset) in this game only resets back to the title screen, and Fire is needed to actually start at the title screen.

Games are free to use the Select, Reset and Fire buttons differently. What works in one game may not work in another. This isn't a issue with Stella, but with the way the ROM chooses to start up.

As soon as DK VCS starts, you have to wait until the title screen comes up. Then you can press Space (for Fire) to start the game. It seems that F2 (or Reset) in this game only resets back to the title screen, and Fire is needed to actually start at the title screen.

Games are free to use the Select, Reset and Fire buttons differently. What works in one game may not work in another. This isn't a issue with Stella, but with the way the ROM chooses to start up.

No, luck. Tried again using the spacebar and no response from the game. It is almost as if the it doesn't see the mapping of the key even though I have verified that the space is set to Fire.

I just figured out the issue. The ROM I download earlier was named D.K.VCS_Title.bin. Apparent it is only the title screen and that is why there is no response as there is no code for it to do more. I searched again for the D.K VCS ROM and came across D.K.VCS_PRGE_151015_NTSC.bin and this does work perfectly. Such an amazing feat on the 2600 that the game matches the arcade so closely. Stunning to see the old 2600 VCS pulling these tricks in spite its limited capabilities. 2600 after all this time still hasn't lost its charm for me. ;-)

Thanks again for your help!

Edited by Tidus79001

• 6 years later...