IGNORED

SIO2USB, AspeQt on Mac OSX Sierra

Level42

Been a while since I used any Mac to A8 connecting....

Is there a working AspeQt for OSX Sierra ?

RespeQt is a fork from about 2 years back and works great. See the dedicated RespeQt subforum in this forum section.

Here's the project page on GitHub:

https://github.com/jzatarski/RespeQt/releases/tag/r4

And the OS X binary is here:

https://github.com/jzatarski/RespeQt/releases/download/r4/RespeQt-r4-OSX.zip

• Like 2

Thanks !!!

Had to set Handshake to DSR to get it to work (as Lotharek's manual says...this time his manual was clear and I only read it later :D)

Does it matter if I select cu.usbserial-A7YHB1A2 or tty.usbserial-A7YHB1A2 ? Both seem to work. I'm getting some read timeouts during reads at High Speed mode POKEY divisor 0 but I guess I still need to snap off the caps from the SIO port of this 600XL :)

Thanks !!!

Had to set Handshake to DSR to get it to work (as Lotharek's manual says...this time his manual was clear and I only read it later :D)

Does it matter if I select cu.usbserial-A7YHB1A2 or tty.usbserial-A7YHB1A2 ? Both seem to work. I'm getting some read timeouts during reads at High Speed mode POKEY divisor 0 but I guess I still need to snap off the caps from the SIO port of this 600XL :)

Good deal.

Oddly, my $10 Raspberry Pi Zero W can handle POKEY divisor 0 perfectly, while my Core i7 gaming laptop has trouble going faster than divisor 1 and sometimes even 2. Same SIO2USB device, both running RespeQt r4, same .ATR or executable file. Go figure.

• Like 1

As for the naming, distinguishing between different types of connectivity gadgets is less about copyrights and trademarks than about making it easier to find stuff. Even using Google AA is usually the main if not the only hit when looking up a problem and it's just easier when you don't end up on a thread covering somebody else's problem because of inaccurate naming.

I fully agree, however, that there is no clear logical distinction between the SIO2USB and SIO2PC-USB names.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Stupid question: does SIO2PC-USB require a USB3 port for high transfer speeds ? My trusty 2009 iMac only has USB2 but I assume these are still fast enough ?

No, not at all. My 2011 MacBook Pro (may it Rest In Peace) handled all speeds just fine for my device running RespeQt. And I’m pretty sure my little RPi boxes are USB2 as well.

• Like 1

Hello DrVenkman

If SIO2USB would be a device to connect an 8 bit Atari to a PC via USB, then SIO2RS232 would be the correct name for the device used to connect an 8 bit Atari to a PC via RS232. But we don't connect an 8 bit Atari to USB or RS232 via SIO2PC, we connect it to a PC. That's why it's called SIO2PC instead of SIO2RS232 or SIO2USB.

The SIO2USB in the picture I posted above, DOES connect the 8 bit Atari to a USB-device. AFAIK not to every storage device with a USB port, but still it connects the 8 bit Atari to USB. Hence the name SIO2USB.

And, as slx already mentioned above, it's easier to distinguish between the devices if we don't give them the same name.

Sincerely

Mathy

I officially object against the name Sio2PC because I am NOT connecting it to a PC (yugh...the thought alone makes me sick).....but to a Mac. So, from now on, I will be calling this little thing in this see-through plastic SIO connector the:

Sio2Mac.

:D :D :D :D

And since Macs haven't had RS-232 interfaces since the dark ages.....there is no need for the USB part.... :D :D :D

Oh by the way.....it works 100% perfectly now at 3x and divisor 0.....the issue I had earlier were bad ATR files and an apparent short inside my machine (see my U1MB thread).

• Like 1

Well, you can say that. It doesn't make it so. The term is generic, whether ABBUC thinks otherwise or not.

The name SIO2USB implies connecting to a USB storage, same as SIO2SD is connecting to an SD card storage device.

If the device is used to connect to a PC via USB IMO it should still be called an SIO2PC, or SIO2PC/USB to clarify the connection type.

• Like 3

The name SIO2USB implies connecting to a USB storage, same as SIO2SD is connecting to an SD card storage device.

If the device is used to connect to a PC via USB IMO it should still be called an SIO2PC, or SIO2PC/USB to clarify the connection type.

Well, in my case, most of the time it's connected to a tiny Raspberry Pi Zero W whose sole raison d'etre is to run RespeQt and serve the whims of whatever Atari I have connected. Does that make the interface widget an SIO2Pi? Even when all the non-overhead storage on the vastly-oversized microSD card is devoted to Atari files? Does my widget change its name if I connect it to my gaming laptop (Windows) or one of the handful of obsolescent Macs in the house? Even though the one thing every one of these devices has in common is the USB port? Really?

​This is becoming silly, like those endless debates in the videogame collector groups on FB where people argue about whether Atari 2600 games were called "Atari tapes," "Atari carts," "Atari cartridges" or just "Atari games."

• Like 1

Hello Level42

Let's cal it SIO2PML (PC, Mac, Linux). :D

Sincerely

Mathy

PS yes, to Dutch or German speaking people, that might sound a bit ... strange. :D

Sio2PieMeL does sound a bit weird indeed Mathy.... at least in Dutch....:D :D

Guys I'm just kidding around.....it's just a name. And factually it says PC for Personal Computer which doesn't indicate a OS. Else it would be SIO2Windows, SIO2Linux or SIO2OSX. But even so....when I hear PC I still think windows....oh whatever.....it works, that's what counts :):)

​This is becoming silly, like those endless debates in the videogame collector groups on FB where people argue about whether Atari 2600 games were called "Atari tapes," "Atari carts," "Atari cartridges" or just "Atari games."

Yeah totall silly.

But those terms are all wrong, it's Atari Cassettes.

• Like 1