IGNORED

RetroChallenge 2017/10

linville

If I enter, it is for motivating me to get something done on my spare time. I never aimed for winning anything, and rarely I even lasted a whole month.

Last time I participated just for motivation to get started. I never expected to win.

As it was, I didn't have time to work in my project for a couple weeks, barely met the minimum goals, and I still had a major bug left at the end.

But I was able to continue to work on the new MC-10 ROM. I cut Ahl's benchmark by at least 42 seconds, and many BASIC programs run noticeably faster.

Plus, I still have some changes to make it faster.

Some things just take more time than a month allows, especially when you have other things to do.

I thought about entering using my effort to port the MC-10 BASIC interpreter to my 68hc11 dev board, but I'll probably have it running before the contest starts.

Well, if I actually sit down and spend a day or two on it that is.

One thing that came out of participating, is that the blog has become motivation to do something ever few days to keep projects moving forwards.

• Like 1

If I enter, it is for motivating me to get something done on my spare time. I never aimed for winning anything, and rarely I even lasted a whole month.

i'd only be using it as motivation as well, in fact i hadn't paid enough attention to realise there was a way to win! But i also spend a lot of time bouncing around between projects in a highly disorganised fashion, so settling on one for a month and writing blog posts about it doesn't exactly come naturally to me! =-)

That said, i have been pondering...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Eventually I signed up last week, so now it is just to get down and dirty with getting something done in the next 30 days that remains of this month. My main goal is to understand how serial communication works, as it is a field I've mostly avoided for the past nearly 35 years that I've been playing with computers.

• Like 1

Eventually I signed up last week, so now it is just to get down and dirty with getting something done in the next 30 days that remains of this month. My main goal is to understand how serial communication works, as it is a field I've mostly avoided for the past nearly 35 years that I've been playing with computers.

Sounds like a good project. With simplex, half duplex, full duplex, Kermit, XMODEM, YMODEM, ZMODEM, start bits, stop bits, parity, baud rate, terminal emulation, etc...

You have a lot of things you can pick from to blog about.

• Like 1