IGNORED

New video board for the CPC - V9990 CPC Power Graph

lazzeri

I don´t know how many of you are familiar with the V9990. That´s a graphic chip that was supposed to power the (never finished) MSX3 line of computers. Chip took too long to be ready so MSX3 never came true.

Anyway, some 10 years ago MSX hardware hackers from Holland (Sunrise) developed a video board for MSX computers that used the (finally released) chip. And it´s just amazing - true 16-bits graphics on a MSX.

Since it´s open source a lot of small companies sold batches of V9990. One of them became quite famous in the MSX scene worldwide - Tecnobytes.

So. Technobytes managed to do an amazing thing: They converted that graphics cart for the Amstrad CPC. :)

Just take a look at this video. Jaw dropping beauty!

http://www.tecnobytes.com.br/p/v9990-powergraph_10.html

Go ahead and preorder if you are a CPC fan. This migh sold out pretty fast. ;-)

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
On 9/6/2017 at 2:50 PM, lazzeri said:

I don´t know how many of you are familiar with the V9990. That´s a graphic chip that was supposed to power the (never finished) MSX3 line of computers. Chip took too long to be ready so MSX3 never came true.

Anyway, some 10 years ago MSX hardware hackers from Holland (Sunrise) developed a video board for MSX computers that used the (finally released) chip. And it´s just amazing - true 16-bits graphics on a MSX.

Since it´s open source a lot of small companies sold batches of V9990. One of them became quite famous in the MSX scene worldwide - Tecnobytes.

So. Technobytes managed to do an amazing thing: They converted that graphics cart for the Amstrad CPC. :)

Just take a look at this video. Jaw dropping beauty!

http://www.tecnobytes.com.br/p/v9990-powergraph_10.html

Go ahead and preorder if you are a CPC fan. This migh sold out pretty fast. ;-)

On 9/7/2017 at 12:35 AM, JamesD said:

I looked at the specs for the v9990 a few months back.
It looks like a good option for building a new machine.
My biggest worry is availability. Since it didn't see widespread use, there probably aren't a lot of them out there.

The V9990 is available in quantity through alibaba.com sellers. You can get competing quotes: I got a range from $2 to $24.

I'm ordering 100 for a upcoming TI-99/4A project using a V9958. It was going to be a twin 9958, superimposed. But adding a V9990 is much better, keeping the V9958 for compatibility, and the V9990 for power.

Our chip progression goes TMS9918A -> V9938 -> V9958 (or an F18A if you can get one)

The problem I'm having is finding the dual port VRAM for the V9990.

On 12/18/2019 at 11:32 AM, FarmerPotato said:

The V9990 is available in quantity through alibaba.com sellers. You can get competing quotes: I got a range from $2 to $24.

I'm ordering 100 for a upcoming TI-99/4A project using a V9958. It was going to be a twin 9958, superimposed. But adding a V9990 is much better, keeping the V9958 for compatibility, and the V9990 for power.

Our chip progression goes TMS9918A -> V9938 -> V9958 (or an F18A if you can get one)

The problem I'm having is finding the dual port VRAM for the V9990.

SO, the quotes I saw for V9990 at $2 and $10 were not actually real. I can get V9990 MOQ 50 at $24. That's how things are now.

I found compatible VRAM MT42C4256Z or CZ or C is not hard to find (a few bucks).

If someone wanted to go in on an order, I could see splitting up 50 pieces and VRAM.