IGNORED

Austin Gaming Expo Announced

Albert

I'm so so excited! I've been wanting to go to one of these Expos for the two years I've been coming to this site. I lived in Austin for my first 19 years, and now I'm onlt in San Antonio. This'll be awesome!

My question is, and I'm sure it's a stupid one-- will there be a lot of trading going on? I don't have anything really rare or anything, but I only have like 150 Atari carts, so I want to pick up some commons, without having to pay much, and maybe get rid of my doubles. What can I expect? A bunch of cheap 2600 games? A lot of trading? Oh man, I'll finally be able to grab a HERO cart without bothering to buy off the net!

Dang. I'm too excited about this.

This is VERY cool!

I can't tell you how many times I've been asked by people "where is the closest Expo to me" who come from your area (or certainly within accessible distance). FINALLY I've got an answer!

I have a question though. I see you've got sponsors already lined up before I even heard about this. How does one get to be a sponsor? I'd really like to help out any way I can. I'm always in support of the hobby, and these events are just terrific.

I've emailed the page but have not heard back - if any of the organizers are reading, please let me know what the pre-requisites are, and count me in!

Game. ON. Texans!

Can't really tell if the Austin expo is intended to be a CGE warmup or competition.

It's neither. AGE is going to be another convention out there for people to attend. Not everything revolves around CGE.

Tempest

Joe, we'll prepare some sponsorship options and send you the info. We haven't prepared a formal package yet as we just announced the show today. The sponsors you see already are involved in the organization of the show to some degree and their sponsorship was worked out informally.

Will Atari Age still have a booth at CGE?  Can't really tell if the Austin expo is intended to be a CGE warmup or competition.

Considering that we spent months preparing for CGE last year and PC4 this year, I doubt we will be able to prepare a booth for CGE this year. It is neither competition nor a warmup for CGE, but a new show along the lines of PhillyClassic, CinciClassic, Midwest Classic, etc. I hope we can see you there. :)

My question is, and I'm sure it's a stupid one-- will there be a lot of trading going on?  I don't have anything really rare or anything, but I only have like 150 Atari carts, so I want to pick up some commons, without having to pay much, and maybe get rid of my doubles.  What can I expect?  A bunch of cheap 2600 games?  A lot of trading?  Oh man, I'll finally be able to grab a HERO cart without bothering to buy off the net!

I hope there's a lot of trading going on! One of the reasons we put the show together was to provide a place for collectors throughout Texas to get together and buy/sell/trade/play games. Since I'm local, it'll be easy for me to bring a large amount of used games. With many people driving to the show, I expect to see lots of people engaging in trades! Anyone who plans on bringing a lot to the show is encouraged to buy a table (they are cheap, only $30 which includes admission!), as this will make it a bit easier to manage..

..Al

My question is, and I'm sure it's a stupid one-- will there be a lot of trading going on?  I don't have anything really rare or anything, but I only have like 150 Atari carts, so I want to pick up some commons, without having to pay much, and maybe get rid of my doubles.  What can I expect?  A bunch of cheap 2600 games?  A lot of trading?  Oh man, I'll finally be able to grab a HERO cart without bothering to buy off the net!

Dang.  I'm too excited about this.

We also have a trading forum exclusively for setting up trades at AGE:

http://www.austingamingexpo.com/forums/index.php

Just post what you're bringing and what you're looking for and make a time to meet up! We will probably have a special trading session at some point as well to try to gather prospective traders and make it easier.

It's neither. AGE is going to be another convention out there for people to attend. Not everything revolves around CGE

Yes but they're only two weeks apart. Some people may have issues with budget or their significant other

We understand this and we know the date is not ideal this year. We will have more time to prepare next year and arrange a date that all the organizers can manage as well as acommodating people who want to go to all the shows.

I was wondering how long it would take you guys to set up an event of your own, being the "nexus" of Atari and all. I'm thrilled to finally have something within driving distance (and in Texas, that's saying something!).

The stars at night are big and bright....

I'll be there demoing off some prototypes.  It's going to be a blast!  I can't wait!  

Ok so I can wait.  But since I won't be at CGE this year (or ever again most likely) AGE will be my new main convention of the year.  The wait is killing me!

Tempest

Why are you not attending CGE? I only ask because it appears your itching to say something....or am I mistaken? Spit it out brother :)

Jerry

I think my wife having a mudfight with every woman would be the most fun of all! ;)

Incidentally this will be my first time in Austin too.  I hope the steak's as good as Omaha!

Ummm...me? Mudfight? I DON'T think so - unless I'm getting a cut of the profit from ticket sales for such an event! :)

Seriously, though - I booked some reservations for us already. We'll be staying at the Comfort Suites over on Chisholm Trail. $68/night for a suite. Works for me! It's good to have an alumni membership through my alma mater - it has helped to save LOTS of money for trips! :D

I think my wife having a mudfight with every woman would be the most fun of all! ;)

Incidentally this will be my first time in Austin too. I hope the steak's as good as Omaha!

I have been to both places numerous times and my vote is for Austin steaks (sorry Megaman).

Can't say I'm a big fan of Texas but Austin is by far the nicest part of the state IMHO. Be sure to check out the "bats" at dusk at the Congress street bridge. I'll probably be in Larado TX around that time and maybe I can swing on up.

Jerry

Ok so I can wait. But since I won't be at CGE this year (or ever again most likely) AGE will be my new main convention of the year. The wait is killing me!

I TOLD you not to play dance dance revolution in public anymore.. you GOTTA be a bad dancer to get shunned from cge :P :P :D

just messin with ya.. im sure your not that bad of a dancer, but then, if i said you were a good dancer, i would be admitting to watching a male dancer, which is just not right, bobby. (hank hill moment)

Those of you that are coming in for the show, are you showing up the day of the expo (Saturday) or are you coming Friday?  Maybe we can have an AA gathering for those coming early?

I've already heard from a lot of people saying they are coming in on Friday... Matt's so excited about coming, I think Matt said he's coming July 1st and will wait .... ;-)

Curt

I will be there about 12:00 Friday! I just got my ticket...I tried Hotwire

and was a little worried about taking the cheap fare for fear of being

strapped to the wing!! Hotwire quotes you a price and tells you NOTHING

else until you buy!! Well, it worked out great!! It took a chance and the

times are great and there are no connections!! Hotwire saved me

$220.00!!

I can not wait for this event!! Plus, I get to see Austin...never been there!

Curt, you better make sure you are there about 12:00 also because you

are buying LUNCH!! And I will be hungry!

8)

Mark

95% sure I'll be in Austin on Friday.

I live in this town and nothing ever cool happens (relativly) and on the VERY WEEKEND I move to nyc you guys do this to me.

Do you mean you're moving the weekend it was announced, or the weekend that the AGE is? It looks like I'm going to be in NY around July 11th doing a Synthcart and dot matrix demo/performance.

Hmm, I thought the rio had been shut down??? I knew some kids who were squatting there

I wouldn't be surprised. ;) I stayed there about 3 years ago.

-Paul

I will be there about 12:00 Friday!  I just got my ticket...I tried Hotwire

and was a little worried about taking the cheap fare for fear of being

strapped to the wing!!  Hotwire quotes you a price and tells you NOTHING

else until you buy!!  Well, it worked out great!!  It took a chance and the

times are great and there are no connections!!  Hotwire saved me

$220.00!!

I can not wait for this event!!  Plus, I get to see Austin...never been there!

Curt, you better make sure you are there about 12:00 also because you

are buying LUNCH!!  And I will be hungry!

8)  

Mark,

Mark

Sounds good and you got a deal on the lunch... but only if we all go in the same car this time!!! ;-)

Curt

As Curt mentioned, I'm getting in a few days early to see Austin and help set things up. I'm really geeked about this, I can't wait!

Texas in July... Who the hell plans these things? Almost as bad as Las Vegas in August! Oh well, at least I can watch my sneakers melt on the asphalt...

Tempest

Texas in July... Who the hell plans these things?  Almost as bad as Las Vegas in August!  Oh well, at least I can watch my sneakers melt on the asphalt...

Just one more reason why I will probably never visit that show. :D

Hm, maybe if I find a car pool from Germany... ;)

I have been to both places numerous times and my vote is for Austin steaks (sorry Megaman).

That's quite alright, I'd be happy to eat a steak even BETTER than Omaha Beef. I'm up to the challenge!

Can't say I'm a big fan of Texas but Austin is by far the nicest part of the state IMHO. Be sure to check out the "bats" at dusk at the Congress street bridge. I'll probably be in Larado TX around that time and maybe I can swing on up.

Jerry

If you can, I say we hit the steakhouse of your choice for dinner. I could at least buy us all a round of drinks. :D

Archived