IGNORED

Quad-Joust

gauauu

Heh. The two gray cords connect to the Atari. The other 4 ports (only 3 of them are connected in this picture) are for the joysticks :-)

:dunce: was thinking about my PS2's multi-tap adaptor, had forgotten you're using both 2600 joystick ports to implement this :lol:

• Like 1

After a good night of playtesting joust with my kids, I decided to try adding on another game, this time a combat/tank knockoff. Having a lot of the 4-player framework in place from joust makes for some pretty fast development....

Awesome! Maybe you could call this game "Tanks a Lot?" :-)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Ugh, and tonight's further tests show some weird static/interference on the screen on my Jr when I use the PCB version of the adapter instead of my breadboarded version. Something's different between them. I need to scrounge up another Atari to test though.

hello gauauu

Any progress on the board design and game creation/modification?

PGRE 2018 is fast approaching...I hope to play it again and take it home with me :lust:

hello gauauu

Any progress on the board design and game creation/modification?

PGRE 2018 is fast approaching...I hope to play it again and take it home with me :lust:

Thanks for asking! Not a lot of progress right now -- I still haven't found a good solution for the weird flicker issues that it causes. I tried building a similar but slightly-different board design, to see if that would make a difference, but I get the same problem. Just this week I thought of a new idea to try, so hopefully if I get some time, I'll be able to test it out and see.

So hopefully I'll be able to demo again at PRGE (not sure if I'll be there, but I'd like to!) but I'm fairly sure it won't be ready to purchase by then :-( But feel free to keep nagging me, I'm more motivated when I remember that people are interested!

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a cool idea!

As for 4-player games, how about a 4-player Surround/Light Cycle type game? With better resolution than the LEGO block thickness of Surround, of course.

I've thought about that one, although I'm not sure I'm smart enough to come up with a way to do it with better horizontal resolution than surround did. And I think that the board would get too crowded too quickly with surround-sized walls and 4 players. But I appreciate the suggestions!

• 2 weeks later...

4 person Surround would be great, and if there are less than 4 people available then they can be auto-AI controlled.

Intellivision's SNAFU is quite fun with 2-players and 2-AI bots, or even 1 against 3. Its AI is quite dumb, too, but still fun to play.

Surround has a few additional modes that SNAFU doesn't have, but the SNAFU music is so good.

Stell-A-Sketch is able to make really fine lines

https://youtu.be/YMRfukA7JWg

So maybe it is possible to make a 4-person Surround that has smaller lines than the original, but wider than Stell-A-Sketch

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Does the rf interference happen just from the adapter being plugged in or is it something that happens with button presses?

With button presses. I'm guessing the level change coming out of the multiplexer is somehow different enough from just a regular level-change from a joystick, that it's somehow doing something "bad".

My current design that I'm testing involves turning off the adapter during the kernel, and that seems to be a big improvement. Maybe it's just hiding the issue (the RF interference still happens, but only during vblank so you can't see it?) We'll see.

Edited by gauauu
  • Like 2

With button presses. I'm guessing the level change coming out of the multiplexer is somehow different enough from just a regular level-change from a joystick, that it's somehow doing something "bad".

My current design that I'm testing involves turning off the adapter during the kernel, and that seems to be a big improvement. Maybe it's just hiding the issue (the RF interference still happens, but only during vblank so you can't see it?) We'll see.

Interesting. Thanks for the answer. I asked because I have had this happen with a couple of third party controllers from back in the day. Push a button, a static pattern appears. Thought it might be somewhat useful info to know it has happened with original equipment, albeit 3rd party.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting. Thanks for the answer. I asked because I have had this happen with a couple of third party controllers from back in the day. Push a button, a static pattern appears. Thought it might be somewhat useful info to know it has happened with original equipment, albeit 3rd party.

Yeah, as far as I can tell, the Atari RF is super-sensitive about all the inputs. On one vader that I use for testing, the screen freaks out with static every time you pull the select or reset switches. But still, I don't want my device to be the cause of more problems.

Just FYI, I tested a new design today that got rid of all the RF interference! So I'm finally making progress again. Unfortunately, I had to remove support for the genesis extra buttons (for some reasons, the combination of them and the multiplexers really freaked the atari out).

Next steps: rework the board into something that uses smaller/cheaper surface mount components to make it cheaper to produce in larger quantities. Until then, if anybody is interested in making a game that would support the adapter, I have a few prototypes available. PM me for details.

• Like 3

I haven't idea why no one has replied to this thread. This is great news! I think we can all attest that, while it's too bad we can't have two button support, there are so many games that only need one button to be fun. Thanks so much for all your work. I am excited and I will have to start saving now.

Well, the bad news is that after further testing last night, there's still a little bit of RF interference hanging around after all. I'll keep you posted :-(

Are you using a simple 2-layer board, or you have an internal ground layer(s)? That should help reduce noise.

Also, are you using shielded DB9 cables between the board and the console?

If in a metal housing, then you can ground that, too.

Are you using a simple 2-layer board, or you have an internal ground layer(s)? That should help reduce noise.

Also, are you using shielded DB9 cables between the board and the console?

If in a metal housing, then you can ground that, too.

Hmm...Shielded DB9 cables won't be much help since the DB9 connector on the console isn't shielded, but it may help a little if the DB9 connector on the board is shielded.

It is worth attempting if you haven't tried it already

• 1 year later...
On 8/10/2018 at 7:14 AM, gauauu said:

I've thought about that one, although I'm not sure I'm smart enough to come up with a way to do it with better horizontal resolution than surround did. And I think that the board would get too crowded too quickly with surround-sized walls and 4 players. But I appreciate the suggestions!

Surround had a 40x20 block playfield, which is the same as the 40x20 block playfield in Bally Astrocades Checkmate, builtin surround game.

http://www.bjars.com/source/Surround.asm

We used to play to death the 4-player Checkmate game, I have no doubts that a 4-player surround game for VCS would be extremely fun and wouldn’t feel too crowded.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
17 minutes ago, fdr4prez said:

Now that the QT has been completed and nearly released, and virtual QT appears to be on the way for Stella,  has there been any progress on on additional games? 

I have "QuadGames" -- a single game rom with 5 small simple 4-player games: joust, tanks, bomb defense, indy racing, and surround. It's not yet available on cartridge, but I'm sending out a rom to anyone who purchases the QuadTari.  

I will have this page available about it, but it's a bit out of date right now. With any luck I'll get it polished up and we'll make it available on cart from the AA store, but we'll see how that goes.

Edited by gauauu
  • Like 4