IGNORED

Finally recapped modded light 6er, some lingering issues

milamontagne

So i finally settled my nerves and attempted to recap my light 6er yesterday. I did all of the caps on the switchboard plus removed the RF box and switch, to eliminate any interference from that end. However, because this is a modded system (I had it modded years ago) the leads into the mod board run through a hole in the metal casing and I'll have do cut and resolder them if i really want to fully recap and mod the system as the Console5 guys recommend. The mod board was made by the electronicSentimentalities guy and it was very well done at the time. Sorry to hear he's out of it, would like to buy another board and do it myself on another 2600. Anyone heard anything?

Anyhow, the good news is the 2600 is no longer going dead after 15 minutes or so. Figured it might have been the 7805 voltage regulator.

Bad news is I still have interference issues. When the left (or second) audio jack is plugged in (partially or fully), every time an audio event occurs, there are scrolling straight lines about 2/3 across the screen. If left disconnected, they dont appear. I'd like to be able to use both channels (Tunnel runner, my fav 2600 game sounds even creepier with the stereo mod!) The other minor issues are wavy lines, not bad but still there. One type is from the lower corner right to the upper corner left of the screen. The other wavy lines are more roundish in shape and scroll from the bottom to the top. The last issue is an odd one: Every so often, the paddle controllers will randomly jerk around. I've replaced the pots allready and its not constant - it comes and goes. Color's also appear to be a bit faded, but I'm assumeing thats because the system was from around before the color/video fix was implemented. Sorry i cant post pictures - my camera dosent see the interference from the crt.

What I'd like to know is the possibility of eliminating the final bugs and if its worth it to try replacing one or more of the IC's. The combination sound/video issue showed up at the same time that i think the 7805 blew - maybe it damaged the TIA chip? I don't mind pressing my luck and fully tearing it down, but I'm trying to weigh the risk vs benefit. I might be getting another 6er to mod so this would then be the backup system.

All in all, i'm kinda happy with the system now that its back to being reliable again. The video issues are a bit minor, I'm just a perfectionist :P

So i finally settled my nerves and attempted to recap my light 6er yesterday. I did all of the caps on the switchboard plus removed the RF box and switch, to eliminate any interference from that end. However, because this is a modded system (I had it modded years ago) the leads into the mod board run through a hole in the metal casing and I'll have do cut and resolder them if i really want to fully recap and mod the system as the Console5 guys recommend. The mod board was made by the electronicSentimentalities guy and it was very well done at the time. Sorry to hear he's out of it, would like to buy another board and do it myself on another 2600. Anyone heard anything?

Anyhow, the good news is the 2600 is no longer going dead after 15 minutes or so. Figured it might have been the 7805 voltage regulator.

Bad news is I still have interference issues. When the left (or second) audio jack is plugged in (partially or fully), every time an audio event occurs, there are scrolling straight lines about 2/3 across the screen. If left disconnected, they dont appear. I'd like to be able to use both channels (Tunnel runner, my fav 2600 game sounds even creepier with the stereo mod!) The other minor issues are wavy lines, not bad but still there. One type is from the lower corner right to the upper corner left of the screen. The other wavy lines are more roundish in shape and scroll from the bottom to the top. The last issue is an odd one: Every so often, the paddle controllers will randomly jerk around. I've replaced the pots already and its not constant - it comes and goes. Color's also appear to be a bit faded, but I'm assumeing thats because the system was from around before the color/video fix was implemented. Sorry i cant post pictures - my camera dosent see the interference from the crt.

What I'd like to know is the possibility of eliminating the final bugs and if its worth it to try replacing one or more of the IC's. The combination sound/video issue showed up at the same time that i think the 7805 blew - maybe it damaged the TIA chip? I don't mind pressing my luck and fully tearing it down, but I'm trying to weigh the risk vs benefit. I might be getting another 6er to mod so this would then be the backup system.

All in all, i'm kinda happy with the system now that its back to being reliable again. The video issues are a bit minor, I'm just a perfectionist icon_razz.gif

The jack you disconnect might be grounding the audio signal - check for shorts on the jacks and the board.

The TIA might a problem too - especially with a bad voltage regulator.