IGNORED

HSC14 Round 16: Bandits

therealbountybob

Played back in season 2

Bandits

returns to the HSC

bandits.png

Atarmiania has info. Fandal has ATR [Esc=pause]

I'm a fan of the games from Sirius Software they all have a certain style. Let's see how Bandits plays. The bonus game this time is the only other game by the same guy Tony Ngo Squish 'em

Atarimania has info, Fandal has XEX [space=pause]

squish_em.png

Round ends Sun 24th Sept 10am UK time

EVERYONE WELCOME TO PLAY

Have fun!

• Like 1

Bandits:

Comments from Atarimania

Jim Kuchera - 11/03/2007
Bandits is an outstanding shooter where the alien 'little buggers' are great at dodging your best attempts to zap 'em. I love Bandits---the sound, the wonderfully smooth graphics, the premise of stealing your fruit, etc. My only beef is that every single level, like Jumpman (another of my favorites) is a pain. This great little game will surely become one of your favorites, and it was released by one of the best software houses of all time---Broderbund. At the time of release, the other great houses were OnLine, Sirius, Synapse, Infocom, Dataquest. Electronics Arts was not yet with us, but was to become The Great One along with Sierra.

Spiff - 17/10/2005
This game was inspired by a mediocre arcade game of the era called "Stratovox"- but they improved it a hundredfold to make it one of the best games on the Atari. You must protect various supplies from being stolen by aliens. The sounds, colors, and graphics are spectacular.

Bandits - 9165 pts

post-5454-0-36243400-1505049456.jpg

I got to the first level that contains both Space Invaders, Centipede and bouncing balls. Actually I have reached 9960 pts on the VIC-20 version once, so I suppose that is my personal goal for this round to see if I can score more on the Atari than on the VIC (which is NTSC only, thus I haven't played Bandits very much).

Squish 'Em - 2110 pts

post-5454-0-74009100-1505049454.jpg

This game doesn't record high scores, so remember to write down or take screenshots when you thought you got a decent score.

• Like 1

post-4219-0-67927500-1505055797.png

9025 at strawberry level.

Movement is really smooth, only very occasionally "overlay artifacts". Even some of the colors were translated straight from the Apple, who would have a green and purple starfield otherwise. (To be fair, even the title screen very nicely plays with the Apple to Atari conversion.)

Wondered how they programmed a static starfield behind the title scrolling up (missiles?) until I realized that it was specks of dirt lighted up by the sun behind me.... the "block effect" when starting/ending a game is something I can't recall seeing in any other game.

• Like 1

Bandits

Seems more like a fart simulator ;-)

:D

I think the sounds are not quite ported/adjusted correctly - Bug Attack (that we played a while ago) has a similar sounds and some other similaties in the graphics etc, but it's sounds are very good. I had some garbage left on the screen which stayed on until the game finished - think this was a message or something happended - probably a bug we can identify and get fixed. If anyone has issues please post about them, the ATR i'm using is "fixed for XE" / doesn't require translator - [Was the one with "cracked by the Phantom" on the loading screen] I might try one of the other copies with the translator :ponder:

FANDAL's ATR works fine on XE without translator :)

13,265 making more use of the shield (push up!)

post-19705-0-41302200-1505409592.jpg

Edited by therealbountybob

Bandits - having a working version helps! (fandal's is good on XE) 34,785 I thought it was going to be fairly easy after a getting on a roll over a few waves but then it gets insane!! Lots of item graphics - since when is a Hammer a fruit :-D

post-19705-0-29403900-1505409548.jpg

Had a quick go on Squish 'em not bad for a bonus game, 2,730. Press fire to tuck legs up and stomp on spiders etc. Some collectables too :)

although I kept moving up, reading digitpress:

You can keep hopping back-and-forth over a creature to rack up points. {Nathan Strum}

we should avoid that "trick"

I think this is too risky anyway plus you can get a lot of points for reaching the suitcases at the end of each level...

Squish'em 17,650

I stomped on all the static items, not sure what some of them did - might be you should avoid some of them??

post-19705-0-58621100-1505838173.jpgpost-19705-0-09710100-1505838184.jpg

first tables

Bandits

1st therealbountybob 34,785 12pts "use the shields guys" ;)
2nd carlsson 9,165 11pts
3rd slx 9,025 10pts
4th McKong 8,825 9pts
5th firestorm 7,250 8pts
6th RedThunder 6,970 7pts
7th jblenkle 3,680 6pts

Squish 'em
1st jblenkle 27,120 4pts

2nd therealbountybob 17,650 3pts
3rd devwebcl 6,130 2pts
4th carlsson 2,110 1pt

• Like 2

had about 27K today and then them there Bandits stole all of my precious things possibly fish bones - either way it was game over so watch out for this!

Anything anyone wants adding to the next poll?McKong I think Shrekenstein is a 2 player game did you/anyone try it in 1 player mode?