IGNORED

gaming nightmares

Jackel192

​Game genie is the best. And if you have more than one you can combine then for 6 codes instead of 3. I even used 3 before and works great. Was finally able to beat all the marios 1,2, and 3. And even Gradius as a kid was possible thanks to game genie. The never loose weapons and increase force field was amazing. The whole game took 10 minutes.

Believe it or not I've never once owned or used (emulated included) a game genie code or other like device. :) GnG was a pain, but I played it a bit side by side between the NES and Arcade too. Another that drove me up the wall is the obvious one ...that jerk Tyson, ooh the timing through that whole 1 hit death part up front was sheer hell. Another one I had a lot of trouble with was Mega Man 1 on the Gameboy. Capcom never seemed to grasp you need to resize your character and creature sprites for the resolution and it kind of got worse as they moved into the GBC as the X stuff got even larger but the screen didn't, GBA too with MM & Bass. Once your robot masters start filling up 1/6th of the screen itself good luck avoiding a damn thing. I never could play that one on GBA at all but could pound it to dust at that time on the SFC.

Pretty much any game on the Atari 2600 or 7800. I used to love playing Atari and played those two systems all the time, but then I decided to start playing competitively for world record high scores. I did end up securing 46 HighScore.com world records before I decided to call it quits, but once I started playing for high scores it really ruined the fun of Atari for me and every game became an exercise in frustration.

What I mean by that is once I started playing competitively I'd always get frustrated when I wasn't scoring as well as I wanted to, and that frustration quickly led to anger and then depression after I inevitably rage quitted whatever game I was playing. It's been about 6 months since I quit playing competitively and for some reason that's beyond my understanding I still can't play Atari without getting pissed off at whatever game I'm playing and then feeling really down for a couple days afterwards.

Games are meant to be fun, and I've always been of the mindset that when they stop being fun that's when you should stop playing them. So I've pretty much given up on playing Atari and have just been sticking to my Wii, GameCube, Game Boy, and 3DS systems for the last half a year or so. I always have a lot of fun and never get frustrated or angry when I'm playing longer and more story focused games on those systems, and even the games that do have a high score component don't seem to get me all flustered like playing Atari does. It's a pretty big bummer for me since I've always had a fondness for Atari systems, but what can you do.

• Like 1

Wow that's rough, but I can relate outside of gaming. I get the same way about drawing so I quit doing it. Punished myself for years over it because I can look at a picture and copy it very well, but for the life of me I can't form an image in my mind and pop it on paper better than some 10 year old and their crayons, and theirs still would look better. I've kind of had that feeling about online play too, usually with the shooters. I'm totally happy since I can't commit to it much to middle things, but when you end up against a bunch of no life lifers who put in many hours a day, every day without fail who build up these egos and attitude, get into stalker mentality or other garbage it sucks the fun out of it. I won't play a FPS online at all pretty much anymore because of those types and limit myself to Guild Wars style among select few others because they are gaming nightmares. You feel stuck committed into whatever you paid for, want to try hard to seek out some fun, but because of how it's designed there's little to be had and there are no take backs like in the old day.

I remember Predator on C64 drove me nearly insane trying to figure out how to finish it.

Turns out there's a bug in the game and you can't finish it.

Didn't find out about that until a quarter century later.

There were probably some unfortunate children who spent hours trying to beat TMNT for DOS not knowing that there is an impossible jump.

(Oh god that music.)

There were probably some unfortunate children who spent hours trying to beat TMNT for DOS not knowing that there is an impossible jump.

(Oh god that music.)

That jump wasn't bad. There was one on the fourth level with the air base late in the level that was instant death if you failed.