IGNORED

SCART for NTSC consoles?

Master Phruby

My solution is relatively simple; small, old TV with RF for my very old consoles, newer CRT with S Video and component input for the vast bulk of my collection, and modern consoles on the HDTV. I realize that not everyone has the room or inclination for this, but that's how my setup works. I've never measured the lag on my several years old Samsung (older is a bit of a bonus, as it has component, as well), but it seems to do okay, even with a Retron hooked up to it, or a PS2 or a Wii running Virtual Console or Gamecube stuff.

That's nice and all, but when someone asks how do I hook up consoles over HDMI to a modern set, saying "use a CRT" isn't an answer to that question.

• Like 1

But this isn't a Q&A website. it's a discussion forum.
It's hard to imagine that CRT wouldn't be mentioned in a conversation about old consoles, video signals and displays.

Q: How to connect an old console to a modern TV?
A: Use a dedicated scaler specifically designed for retro consoles
Q: Is there a cheaper solution?
A: Use a cheap analog video to HDMI converter. Beware that results might be subpar (no support for progressive 240p signal, lag etc...)
Q: Isn't there a cheap solution that works well to play my old consoles?
A: Yes, a CRT!

Edited by alex_79
  • Like 3

But this isn't a Q&A website. it's a discussion forum.

It's hard to imagine that CRT wouldn't be mentioned in a conversation about old consoles, video signals and displays.

Q: How to connect an old console to a modern TV?

A: Use a dedicated scaler specifically designed for retro consoles

Q: Is there a cheaper solution?

A: Use a cheap analog video to HDMI converter. Beware that results might be subpar (no support for progressive 240p signal, lag etc...)

Q: Isn't there a cheap solution that works well to play my old consoles?

A: Yes, a CRT!

Yes, it is a discussion forum. Where the intent of said discussion thread was to discuss how to hook up old consoles to modern sets. basically, that whole "off topic", thing.

Saying "use a CRT" in this thread, would be like going into a thread where the OP was looking for suggestions on a new car, and you came back with "take the bus".

I can almost guarantee, that if someone waltzed into a thread discussing brands of CRT suggestions, and said "just get a Framemeister". and more people followed with "just get a Framemeister". They'd be read the riot act immediately.

Edited by keepdreamin

• 1 month later...

The point is to get off component, composite and s-video and use a modern TV. I will never buy a CRT from a thrift store to play games on. Everything must go to HDMI ultimately. But I also don't want to buy a $400 board made by one guy in Poland after getting on his waiting list for years and prepaying for it.

Great news! It's 200, not 400 dollars. It ships from a guy in England, not Poland. And it's shipping immediately.

https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/open-source-converter/

Keep in mind the Framemeister & OSSC aren't the same technology. You're talking upscaler vs line doubler, both resulting in HDMI out (well HD, see question below) in different methods.

If you're dropping $200-350 on one of these devices do your research and see what method you think will work best for you. Watch comparison footage on youtube & in depth reviews on the tech itself.

I heard the OSSC was finally getting HDMI vs DVI + RCA audio. Did this happen?

Edited by Jagosaurus

Yes (check the site for detals).

1.6 is now using a HDMI port instead of DVI. Audio conversion to digital is also now handled on board the unit, you can plug sound from component/vga sources into the 3.5 mm jacks and it will convert to digital over HDMI.

That's a much better option and welcome addition. I understand it was due to HDMI licensing but it was a lacking feature that kept me away.

• 1 year later...
On 9/12/2017 at 3:45 AM, keepdreamin said:

Alright! 6 replies later (not counting my own or the OPs). Austin... :sad:

SLG-in-a-box

floodgates open, AND THEY'RE OFF!

debatable and irrelevant to this conversation.

yes, yes it is. Deadest of dead.

You done yet. :roll:

Y'all miss the part where op was talking about HDMI?

When I was just a little boy, we had and Odyssey II?   Yellow thing, ran on batteries.  It had a game called 'haunted house' that had high-resolution color graphics in the form of a transparent plastic overlay you TAPED to the SCREEN of your TV....

Jeff

I have recently ended up in this same boat, I finally got some of my favorite consoles again, and wanted to connect them up in s simple way that looked good.  I thought the ease and best way would be simply an older LCD TV with component inputs, well that did not work at all.

So I started my research, YouTube watching and reading the forums.  I ended up going with SCART cables.

My setup so far:

Consoles:

Sega Genesis II

Sega Saturn

Sega Dreamcast

Neo Geo (Consolized)

PCEngine

I got the cable for each of those to SCART then that SCART will plug into a Hydra Mini SCART switcher, out of the Hydra I got a SCART to SCART (male) cable that goes to the OSSC.

I had a 4:3 computer monitor I wanted to use, but I was never able to get it to work with the OSSC HDMI out to the DVI connection on the monitor (it was a Dell FP-2001 that can handle 15khz).  So I ended up buying a new monitor that is 16:10 but does have a 4:3 mode and a game setting - Asus makes this one.

I am just waiting a a custom cabinet to be finished being built so I can do all the custom (hidden) wiring and put all the systems in place.  I test the setup and everything seems to work and look great.  I did end up getting the stereo audio out from the back of the monitor as the SCART -> to the HDMI carries the audio to the monitor, but it does not have speakers so I use the 1/8" audio out on the back of the monitor for small external speakers