IGNORED

Help Creating Floppies using Disc Images in Mac OS 9.2.2

Disk copy 6.3.3 will let me mount an image but then won't let me "create a floppy", says hardware not set up to do so.

I also have "Mount Image" in my system folder but not really sure how to actually create floppies with that.

I have three disc images for Lemmings as my trial run, please help me make some install floppies in os 9.2.2!

Thank you.

Sorry guys, think it's a hardware problem. The VST superdrive was tested on various OS8 versions but not OS9 so I think drivers are lacking..

That might be why my computer freezes whenever I try to eject a disk in OS9 on the Pismo...lol

Looks like I need to find a copy of stuffit for my LC III so I can unpack Disc Copy 6.3.3 on that computer and make my floppies on there.

Burned a whole morning on this, boy is getting things to work on classic computers time consuming!! Lol

Burned a whole morning on this, boy is getting things to work on classic computers time consuming!! Lol

It's a total PITA, and at the end, your "reward" is an ancient computer. We gotta get you a full time job, this will only end in madness or tears.

Stuffit Deluxe is here https://www.macintoshrepository.org/809-stuffit-deluxe-1-5-x-8-x

If you just need the Stuffit Expander, here you go, along with a bunch of other "useful" things. http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/68k_software

It's a total PITA, and at the end, your "reward" is an ancient computer. We gotta get you a full time job, this will only end in madness or tears.

Stuffit Deluxe is here https://www.macintoshrepository.org/809-stuffit-deluxe-1-5-x-8-x

If you just need the Stuffit Expander, here you go, along with a bunch of other "useful" things. http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/68k_software

Sadly I have no way to make the disks to get stuffit on my LC III! I think I may need to (gasp) buy a copy of stuffit, and then should be able to unstuff programs and make my own discs on my LC III rather than on my PISMO which I thought (silly me) would be much easier..

Sadly I have no way to make the disks to get stuffit on my LC III! I think I may need to (gasp) buy a copy of stuffit, and then should be able to unstuff programs and make my own discs on my LC III rather than on my PISMO which I thought (silly me) would be much easier..

I haven't used this myself, but this would be my next step.

http://rescuemyclassicmac.com/buyadisk/buyadisk.html

In the old days, you'd "phone a friend." When you're playing with 30yo old stuff, you're on your own, so this is the next best thing.

Working on "ancient" computers can be rewarding as long as you have modern tools. Get yourself a Floppy Emu and just enjoy the computer I say. I wouldn't invest any real time into floppy crap to be honest. It was a great medium back in the day (especially since we didn't have anything else) but the wonderful part of this hobby in 2017 is that we have easy to use options to get the software to the hardware. I know you just got the floppy drive replaced and working (which is great) but the money can be spent on one of these devices and you will have fun with the machine....unless you are going for the complete nostalgia mode that includes finicky floppies ;)

Take my Amiga for example. I have a floppy drive in it (that is useful for the times I actually need to rip a disk) but primarily use internal IDE CF and HxC SD card floppy emulation. My IIGS is using a CFFA3000. My C64 uses a C64 Ultimate. My TI99/4A uses a FinalGROM99. My vintage Gateway machine is using a Gotek and a CF to IDE adapter.

I love these machines and use them all of the time. Modernizing them to just the degree of allowing software to more easily get to the machine (and faster in all cases) has saved me a lot of headaches and have added a whole lot of conveniences.

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

The LCIII reads and writes floppys right?

Does it format? and read IBM?

You may be missing some extensions.

I may be able to make some floppys with suffit on it - I have a decent amount of 80's - 90 mac stuff.

What OS # are you running?

I may 7.5 on floppy.

I have a performa 475 (the cheaper lcIII) - I can check this weekend to see what my system folder looks like if you need something to compare it to.

• Like 1

The LCIII reads and writes floppys right?

Does it format? and read IBM?

You may be missing some extensions.

I may be able to make some floppys with suffit on it - I have a decent amount of 80's - 90 mac stuff.

What OS # are you running?

I may 7.5 on floppy.

I have a performa 475 (the cheaper lcIII) - I can check this weekend to see what my system folder looks like if you need something to compare it to.

Thanks, this would be a huge help. PM Inbound.

My first computer was a Performa 450 circa 1993 so I have some sentimentality for these pizza box macs.

• 2 months later...

What is it you're trying to get onto a floppy? Something for a non-HD Mac? Or is this just a way to get something onto another Mac, both having hard drives?

Can you expand the disk image on the Pismo hard drive or at least copy the files from the image to the Pismo HD? And initiialize a floppy? Just extract the files to a folder and do a drag and drop to the floppy. If it crashes on eject, can you shut down the Pismo with the floppy still mounted? Then hold down the mouse or button on restart and that ejects the floppy before it's mounted again.

But reading a PC disk directly might be the simplest. You can always add a null-modem cable and send it the way we usta had to with porting between different systems. No floppy needed.

Me being an AOL member still paying for (but not using) their dialup service, I can run an ancient os7 version of AOL and check my email and accept a download (at dialup modem speeds, of course) directly to most any old Mac I own newer than the Mac Plus. Ok, probably not an option, but one I've used for small files. (Try finding an old AOL free floppy, for one thing, lol!)

When I had a bunch of stuff to move, I had several SCSI drives I'd move around as needed, some of them even had a PS and even an enclosure! :) Or I used an external SCSI CD drive. Then there's AppleTalk, again very slothlike, but it worked with only a cable and some sharing settings. Appletalk might be more of a challenge on a Pismo though, no ADB serial port for one thing.

Just some random thoughts, since I've used all of those over the years when the floppy method failed due to a bad drive or for whatever reason.

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak