IGNORED

Nintendo Direct for once is huge! Good 3rd party surprises.

Tanooki

DOOM!!!!! That's freaking awesome! I'll pick that up for sure for a portable version because I already have the PC one. The Switch will have no problem running it since it supports Vulcan. Using Vulcan on my laptop gained me around 30fps. It's a game changer.

I portable version of Fallout would be unbelievable too.

Same here I run Vulkan, not that I really need to quite yet (Nvidia 980/8GB VRAM on it) but it does do some help with various things and as the computer gets more long in the tooth (pushing 3 years old now) it will be a godsend for awesomeness to come.

Anyone want to watch this clip here? This is stunning if you think about it. For all the dumping on the Switch anti-fanboys do, this is kind of a kick in the teeth if you think of it in a measured response. No this isn't some infinitely HUGE world with a crap load of detail everywhere, it's a NBA game. But still look at the attention to detail on this first gen switch engine port. Obviously it can't fire off as many polygons, be a fool to think so otherwise. The other stuff you get from that engine, textures, lighting, shadow, reflections, bloom, etc. It's more or less on par with the other guys.

This is a direct feed of 1080p off the 3 systems (Switch is obviously docked.)

One thing I find curious, take a sharp look at the paused up part with the commentator. For some reason only on Switch is the detail clear and you can make out the detail of all the people in the stands, the other 2 consoles it blurs. I know that had to be a choice to simulate sight but it's still odd.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

Oops :)

All these years I thought it was a single individual that was working for Nintendo under contract that handled the programming chores for Donkey Kong. I imagine we'll at least get Donkey Kong 3 though, even if rights issues remain over the original.

If I remember right, it was Nintendo recycling some of the code from the original Donkey Kong as they programmed Donkey Kong Jr. in-house, that led to the start of all the troubles (i.e., Ikegami Tsushinki wanted a slice of the pie since their work was incorporated into it as well). So in light of that, it seems reasonable to suspect that there was no cooperation between the two firms during the development of Donkey Kong 3 or hint of the original DK code.

Then again if only the final game appeared, it might cause more trouble than it's worth for Hamster and Nintendo. People will be angry that DK3 is present but the two high profile predecessors are AWOL.

Not sure if you caught it, but Famitsu is reporting Vs. Wrecking Crew and Vs. Urban Champion are also coming along as ACA games. Urban Champion is interesting from a preservation standpoint - the arcade rom hasn't been dumped yet.

• 2 weeks later...

So I ended up getting mario bros yesterday, but I noticed that appeared to be the only game announced that's actually in the eshop (at least for me, being in Canada). Did the other games end up being a no-show or are they only available in other locations? Pretty sure I didn't just miss it in the list...

I think they're planning to do them weekly or ever so often as Hamster does with other ACA titles. Mario Bros is it for now. Eventually the other listed VS games and Punchout will appear too.

By the way did anyone see the odd story out of the UK with FIFA switch? Seems it only sold like 7-8000 copies as it came out, but it appears EA probably only shipped maybe 10K (min shipment) because it's nearly sold out everywhere in the UK. I have to wonder what EA was thinking with this one on a few levels. Why so few copies? Why did they cut a couple modes yet still feel justified asking full price for it against the PS4/One copies. In the end on release day 97% of the copies sold were PS4/One, and 3% fell to Switch and other throwback ports (ps3/360.) Will they keep running more since it sold through? Will they pull a whiny unjustified EA turd move or try again next year with a non-stripped on time release?

Well, if that's what they're planning then that's fine. The presentation seemed to make it look like they'd all hit at the same time so it seemed odd to me. Only other one from the list that I'm really looking for was punch out anyway, so I can wait.