IGNORED

Nes Classic Edition Back In Stock in 2018

Not sure how clearly to say this... if you want an NES classic, wait till next spring. Then you can get them for $60 all day long. Apparently the scalping is over, as are the bootlegs (maybe).

The scalping may not be over if Nintendo makes any changes to the box. If that happens, you'll probably see tons of "First Edition NES Classic" listings. Collectors could affect that too if they feel that they need both versions. I really hope the scalping is over though.

The scalping may not be over if Nintendo makes any changes to the box. If that happens, you'll probably see tons of "First Edition NES Classic" listings. Collectors could affect that too if they feel that they need both versions. I really hope the scalping is over though.

Or if they add in protective measures that make hacking difficult, which I suspect they will.

• Like 1

It's Nintendo don't count on them doing anything but pressing more boards, shells, controllers, and boxes/inserts as it's ultra high demand and cheap. Longer cords and swapping games is just added expense. I'm really starting to buy into that online argument the SNES had been planned given the hardware and that's why they kept the NES going as long as they did with spotty trickled out systems for awhile eeking it up to 2.3M globally up from what was it a million intended? They had to have many months to start building up stock of these SNES units to not have a crappy repeat. Once the SNES has enough time and tapers off then they'll re-shift to pressing more of the NES and less SNES (or stopping it which would be bad.)

Given the interesting setup of the top of the box with the CLASSICS branding it also makes me think it was planned and with how powerful the hardware in there is that N64 is probably better than even money next years (2018) Christmas or later into 2019.

And I saw the reddit yesterday that showed the system linked up to a PC with snaps of the file system, but at that time they hadn't figured out how to slide games onto it and show up. I wonder if that has been taken care of yet? (I'll check in a bit.)

• Like 1

Given the interesting setup of the top of the box with the CLASSICS branding it also makes me think it was planned and with how powerful the hardware in there is that N64 is probably better than even money next years (2018) Christmas or later into 2019.

It's probably just me thinking this, but I have to wonder if it's such a good idea to release an N64 Mini. Software-wise, Nintendo could probably include about 10 to 15 good games (that aren't caught up in licensing red tape, don't even think about Golden Eye 007) or perhaps go up to 20 games if they play their cards right with third-parties (Mega Man 64 please!) but what is Nintendo going to do about those sucky N64 controllers? Do we really need more broken analog thumb sticks and overly sensitive Z buttons? I understand those issues could be fixed for the N64 Mini, but I'd still rather just play those games (or modern remakes of those games) on the Switch, with a better controller.

It's probably just me thinking this, but I have to wonder if it's such a good idea to release an N64 Mini. Software-wise, Nintendo could probably include about 10 to 15 good games (that aren't caught up in licensing red tape, don't even think about Golden Eye 007) or perhaps go up to 20 games if they play their cards right with third-parties (Mega Man 64 please!) but what is Nintendo going to do about those sucky N64 controllers? Do we really need more broken analog thumb sticks and overly sensitive Z buttons? I understand those issues could be fixed for the N64 Mini, but I'd still rather just play those games (or modern remakes of those games) on the Switch, with a better controller.

Well the part that fails in those controllers are these two half spheroid shaped pieces of plastic that help the joystick rock all over and pop back to center. The more they got beat to hell with hard fast motions (more or less thanks to Mario Party 1-3) they would get ground down and the stick would get floppy. Basically if they used sturdier plastic or even perhaps a thin piece of metal on the grind points that would stop the joystick death. I'm not familiar with overly touchy Z button though as you're the first I've seen bring that up.

Coming up with 20 games would be a cinch for the system despite MS surely being d-bags and not allowing Rare games. Hudson is owned by Konami and both supported the NES and SNES CE as did Capcom (which had 2 games out.)

Konami had 2 Castlevania, 2 Mystical Ninja games, Hybrid Heaven, and sports stuff that wouldn't cut it. Hudson had 3 Bomberman games and also Star Soldier Vanished Earth the only US based shooter and it's awesome, and some oddball no name level 3D fighters. Capcom had Mega Man 64 and Resident Evil 2.

With those licensees and since Namco went in with Pac-Man (NES Classic) so probably their co-licensed deal with Ridge Racer 64 would be very possible as well, so that covers over 10-15 games right there without franchise double dipping.

Nintendo seems to allow around 30-40% of the games to be third party on a box. Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon(3D one), Castevania Legacy of Darkness, Bomberman Hero (or 64), Hybrid Heaven, Mega Man 64, Resident Evil 2, and Ridge Racer 64 I'd call the most likely choices if it happened. (7 games)

Nintendo is easy - Super Mario 64, Wave Race, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Mario Party (one of them), Super Smash Bros, Pilotwings, F-Zero X, Mario kart 64, Pokemon Stadium (1 or 2), Pokemon Puzzle League, Dr Mario 64, Star Fox 64, and Yoshi's Story (13 games, which with the 7 above makes a Top20.)

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

You won the jackpot dude; good for you. This fact in and of itself does not improve the odds of someone else winning. In fact the more people who sign up, the less likely they are to win, and the more inboxes thinkgeek has to send ads to. It's a marketing ploy, and quite an effective one at that. They generate free advertising off clickbait articles and news stories featuring the promotion, and even if you "win", you still have to pay money to redeem your prize, so you really haven't technically won anything.

• Like 1