IGNORED

Interesting ebay 800

Bryan

The cartridge cover does not open up. It has been epoxied together with a RAM cover - the entire assembly lifts up - cartridge is still accessible. This part of the case (cartridge cover and the ram cover) suffered some damage in the past.

I saw that, but I thought the fabrication job looked too good to just be someone's "oops I broke it" moment and maybe the seller was just guessing.

It's hard to tell but the texturing looks like it matches the main part of the case though it looks like finer grain. The panel fit looks what you'd almost call poor on the left side but near perfect on the right.

Comparing to normal lids, the fit didn't look the best on some normal lids.

I get the feeling this is a later manufactured item. Maybe someone could fire off a question to him - it'd be interesting to see the underside of the lid (doesn't 800 also have the metal piece that forms part of the RF shielding? )

My take on it, is the lid was broken, and someone used a "bondo" type substance to fix it. The long horizontal section is not straight. This is very noticable to me, as I do metal work and I have seen countless bad bondo jobs on cars. It would also explain the different textures on the case. Original texture is poking through, but the sanding to try to get the repair area smooth is visible.

• Like 3

Yeah, I've never seen an 800 that white, it's always been a sort of weird greenish/brownish hue, hasn't it?

The last few posts in this thread talk about what the "real" colors of the 400/800 were originally. I recently got a few excellent-quality sales brochures, circa 1980 or '81, that spent nearly the entire last 37 years inside a dark filing cabinet so little chance of fading. Atari itself was far from consistent with the white balance and lighting used in their print materials, so we're all going by (increasingly unreliable) personal memories. *shrug*

• Like 1

I need to sell off my Atari systems I’ve got a 800 , upgraded 400, couple of drives, pretty sure one is happy. Just lugging then around from storage to storage for years but shipping is a pain. In DFW area if there is any local interest

I'm interested in an upgraded 400 - and would pay for the shipping... but would probably like to have more than the one upgrade on it...

or a standard 800....

Harvey

The 800 is probably the way to go. The 400 keyboard is fairly atrocious, though I read not too long ago that the reason it was designed that way was for children and it was spill proof!

I had a neighbor with a 400, a friend with an 800 and we had the 800XL when I was growing up, so I had the 'top of the line' for quite some time. Only thing I was jealous of my friend with the 800 over was that he had an 810, and I love (yes even to this day) the sound that makes when you're formatting the disk...

The last few posts in this thread talk about what the "real" colors of the 400/800 were originally. I recently got a few excellent-quality sales brochures, circa 1980 or '81, that spent nearly the entire last 37 years inside a dark filing cabinet so little chance of fading. Atari itself was far from consistent with the white balance and lighting used in their print materials, so we're all going by (increasingly unreliable) personal memories. *shrug*

It really is hard to figure out what they really looked like, I always remember them as an off brown with a tint of green. Very... 70s.