IGNORED

MAME ROMS

Uncle Duke

The best sources are the following.

Usenet. For someone who needs complete sets, this is probably the best way to go as "complete" floods happen periodically, especially whenever there's a new release. Matter of fact there was just one a couple of days ago. Specifically, check alt.binaries.emulators.mame and alt.binaries.emulators.misc. Personally, my ISP's usenet service sucks, so I pay for a commercial service for 15 bucks a month (www.usenetserver.com). It's worth every penny.. and I have a hard time plunking down money for most everything. :P

IRC. There are a couple of IRC channels out there specifically dealing w/ rom distribution via fserve bots. It's up to you to figure out which ones though. One place you could start? #Rareroms @ irc.zerofuzion.net

Private FTP's. Unlike the first 2 options, this probably isn't readily available to most people.. but once you make some friends online, this is probably the best way for individual fills. Yeah it's cliquey, but if you're lucky enough to know people with complete sets, it's probably the easiest way to go

No...it was pointed out before that not all are available for d/l (like Alien Vs. Predator)

Why...I dunno (?)  Other CPS2 games are up, and it's certianly not the largest (not by a longshot).

Yes, you are right, my mistake. How many unique games does MAME emulate? I read somewhere that it's over 1500 ...

Thanks guys, I always knew about mame.dk but I never understood it and didnt know I had to sign up. But even after signing up I downloaded like 8 games and only 2 or 3 worked, they're always missing like one minor file or something, but hey, thats better odds then I was getting, so thanks guys.

You have to read the descriptions...if the Rom info page shows that a parent rom is needed, you need to download that for the game to work (since the version of the game you are downloading pulls some of it's info from that "parent" game). You also need to take care to download the version of the game that is made for your Mame version...mame.dk still carries changed romsets going back as far as version .35final

Take a look at PacMan...

The top line is the link for that version of the romset made to run with Mame versions .53 to .68

The next line is the version of the romset made for Mame versions .36final to .37b16 (.53 followed that version)

But look at the next line...Puckman is listed as the parent rom. That means that no matter which of those two you had, you'll need to follow this link to get the romset that completes them.

Some games will also have a seperate file for sound samples (.wav's) that go into the samples folder (keep it zipped just like the games).

post-222-1053739735_thumb.jpg

That's open for debate, since you could argue that games with similar concepts are not unique (like LadyBug - PacMan).  If you are referring to "non-clones", there is an "originals" tab in Mame32.

I was refering to "non-clones"... Oups, never noticed the originals tab in Mame32 :D ... let's see .... *tum de dum* ... 2142 games in 0.65 ... thx for the insight Nukey...

Archived