Moving Non-Player Sprites on screen

Collision Detection between gunfire and Non-Player Sprites

Adding a Status bar with the Score and Lives Remaining

Collision Detection between all Sprites, Speed Change on clearing screen

Animation, Sound Effects, and Performance Troubleshooting

Adding a High Score

Code Optimization, More Animation, and Holey DMA

AtariVox Speech

7800basic is a ton of fun to develop with compared to batariBasic because so many limitations are lifted. You can have over 1500 variables, a bitmapped display, 24 on screen sprites with no flicker or slowdown, CPU usage is much less of a concern, and you can plot text directly on-screen. I really enjoy it, and there’s a much smaller gap between what’s possible with assembly vs. 7800basic compared to batariBasic.

With that said, there haven’t really been any good tutorials posted as of yet on how to get started. I’d like to address that with a series of tutorials that start from the very beginning. Once I cover the basics, I’d like to actually go through the process of making a simple game, step by step, with as much detail as I can realistically provide. Please understand that I don't profess to be an expert at anything and there's nothing that uniquely qualifies me to make this tutorial. I just wanted to do it. Anything I type here is subject to edit at any time (after RevEng corrects me!) and I may add things to this initial post from time to time to try and improve it.

The first thing that needs to be done of course is to set up your development environment, which includes downloading, installing, and configuring all of the software that you’re going to need. I’ll be writing this guide based on my own development environment, yours may be slightly different, but the basics will be the same regardless. I use a Windows 10 PC, but you can also use a Mac or Linux PC. There are also many options when it comes to the text editors and graphics programs you use, but I personally use Visual Studio Code and Gimp, and I’ll likely be referring to those specific applications as I go through this tutorial.

Topics I'll cover in Part 1: Software | Hardware | Compiling Code | Some Common Compile Errors | Using an Emulator

Topics I'll cover in Part 2 (next time): Setting up the color palette in Gimp | Basic Image creation & editing with Gimp | Creating a playfield map file

Software

You’re going to need some software installed to get started. Below is a summary of what you’re going to need for development:

1. A code editor [i use Visual Studio Code]

2. A graphics editor [i use Gimp]

3. The tiled map editor [optional but highly recommended]

4. An Atari 7800 Emulator [i use Mame]

5. The 7800basic distribution files

Code Editors

Which editor you use is really a personal preference and there are a ton of options out there. For many years I’ve simply used the notepad app that’s built in to windows. There is no IDE enviornment for 7800basic that’s similar to Visual batariBasic, and I’m not aware of anyone working on one. I personally use Microsoft’s Visual Studio Code. It’s free, it runs on Windows, OS X and Linux, it offers lots of flexibility with add on modules for other programming languages, and it does a really good job of text highlighting for basic code. I highly recommend checking it out. Here’s the links to Visual Studio Code and some other good alternatives that I’ve used either personally or at work at some point:

Visual Studio Code [Free] - It includes support for debugging, embedded Git control, syntax highlighting, intelligent code completion, snippets, and code refactoring.

UltraEdit [$99] - It contains tools for programmers, including macros, configurable syntax highlighting, code folding, file type conversions, project management, regular expressions for search-and-replace, a column-edit mode, remote editing of files via FTP, interfaces for APIs or command lines of choice, and more. Files can be browsed and edited in tabs, and it also supports Unicode and hex editing mode. Not cheap, but a great tool!

SublimeText [$70] - A proprietary cross-platform source code editor with a Python application programming interface (API). It natively supports many programming languages and markup languages, and functions can be added by users with plugins, typically community-built and maintained under free-software licenses.

Notepad++ [Free] - A lightweight, free editor that supports tabbed editing, which allows working with multiple open files in a single window. It also supports code highlighting, a vast improvement over windows notepad. :)

Visual Studio Code:

post-2143-0-01599700-1505843770.jpg

Notepad++:

post-2143-0-48312600-1505843770.jpg

Graphics Editors

Unlike batariBasic, you will need a good graphics editing program and commercial editors generally do not come cheap. I posted a quick tutorial on setting up palettes with Gimp a few years ago, and I received lots of private mail on how to do the same thing in Photoshop. I unfortunately don’t use Photoshop and don’t plan on using it, as gimp serves me very well for editing and it’s free to use. Once you get the hang of it it’s really not difficult to use it for 7800 graphics creation and editing. I’ll dive a bit deeper into actually using it later and go beyond simply setting up palettes.

Gimp Download

Tiled Map Editor

Using a tiled map editor is optional but I highly recommend it. It will make playfield creation a whole lot easier for you, especially as you start developing larger or more complex games. I will dive into how to use the open source “Tiled” app specifically. The tiled map editor generates an output file that can be called directly inside your 7800basic code. It doesn’t actually contain any graphics, it’s simply a map file that lays out the on-screen location of all the image files you’ve already created for your playfield.

Tiled Map Editor

7800 Emulators

There are three emulators available - Mame, ProSystem and A7800, with different strengths and weaknesses with regard to ease of use and emulation accuracy. For 7800basic development, ProSystem is not recommended. Despite its age, it remains popular because of it’s easy of use and nice GUI front-end, but it is not being actively developed and does not accurately emulate real hardware. When you want to test how your program will actually look on a real 7800 you really need to use mame or A7800. ProSystem is overly generous with the amount of time it gives to MARIA, it’s colors aren’t accurate, and it doesn’t support all of the bankswitched ROM formats, among other things.

Note that 7800basic will generate three files when you compile your code: a78, bin, and asm. The a78 file is what you use for running in an emulator, the bin is used for running on real hardware, and the asm file is the assembly language output of your 7800basic code. If you want to test on real hardware with a bin file, your choices are somewhat limited at the moment as the hardware is either no longer produced or still in development. The Cuttle Cart 2 [No longer produced], MCPDev Cart [From CPUWIZ], Harmony Concerto [in development], and the Mateos Cart.

A7800 Enhancements over mame:

· Support for emulation of Proline Joysticks, VCS Joysticks, Lightguns, Paddles, Driving Controllers, Keypads, Trak-Balls, Amiga Mice, and ST Mice.

· Maria DMA timing has been improved further, with the addition of accurate DMA hole penalties.

· Improved saturated/normalized 'factory set' default palette colors.

· A bug in the existing RIOT emulation has been fixed.

Emulator Downloads

ProSystem Emulator

Mame

A7800 Emulator

Emulator Configuration

ProSystem Config: Simply download and extract to the directory of your choice and run the exe. It doesn’t require any configuration.

A7800 Config: Trebor posted detailed info about the setup, click here to review it.

Mame Config: · Extract and run the setup file to your desired location.

· Download the 7800 BIOS files to the mame ROMs subdirectory: Atari 7800 BIOS Files

· Run this command to launch a game ROM, substituting your install path and game ROM name: C:\>mame64\mame64 a7800 -cart "C:\mame64\roms\mygame.a78"

Tip: I’ve been using mame for years for 7800basic development and testing. To make it easier on myself, I typically install mame and 7800basic into the same root folder. That way, when I’m working from the command prompt, I can compile and then type in the cli command to launch the game all from the same window and the same directory.

Hardware

You can completely skip the hardware section if you like, as it’s not absolutely necessary for development. You can develop under emulation and hardware is not absolutely necessary, but you will probably want to get your hands on the real deal at some point. 7800 consoles are not terribly hard to find and are generally available on eBay. While you don’t really need it, here’s the hardware you’re probably going to want:

1. A real Atari 7800

2. A Video and Audio mod for your 7800 [for a much clearer picture over RF]

3. An AtariVox [not required, but a really fun accessory!]

4. A multicart or flash cart [if you can get your hands on one]

5. An Edladdin controller or adapter [Many call the Proline joysticks the ‘Painline’ joysticks!]

6. Lots of free time!

Atari 7800 Hardware Revisions

There were three main revisions of the Atari 7800 hardware. All should be 99.9% compatible with the 2600 and 7800 library. The most notable difference is in the final revision, as the expansion port was removed.

1. Atari CX7800, two joystick ports on lower front panel. Side expansion port for upgrades and add-ons. Bundled accessories included two CX24 Pro-Line joysticks, AC adapter, switchbox, RCA connecting cable, and Pole Position II cartridge.
  2. Atari CX7800, second revision. Slightly revised motherboard, added an additional timing circuit. Expansion port connector removed from motherboard but is still etched. Shell has indentation of where expansion port was to be.
  3. Atari CX7800, third revision. Same as above but with only a small blemish on the shell where the expansion port was.

Video/Audio Mods

All of the different mods available and how to do them is beyond the scope of this tutorial, but you’ll see many options available with a quick search of the 7800 forums. Below are a few you can take a look at. I had my 7800 modded by Joe (ElectronicSentimentalities) and he did a nice job. The difference between RF and S-Video or Composite output is dramatic, and worth it if you want to spend the money.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/249468-composite-mods-are-they-really-needed/?hl=%2B7800+%2Bhardware+%2Bdifferences&do=findComment&comment=3454792

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/127926-easier-7800-composite-video-mod/page-6?hl=%2B7800+%2Bhardware+%2Bdifferences&do=findComment&comment=2065687

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/269768-the-uav-rev-d-video-upgrade-installation-in-an-atari-7800-pal/?hl=%2B7800+%2Bdifferences

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/267363-different-av-mods-for-2600-4-switcher-jr-and-7800/?hl=%2B7800+%2Bdifferences&do=findComment&comment=3799740

AtariVox

The AtariVox is an incredibly fun addition to the 2600 and the 7800, providing in-game voice as well as high score saving. 7800basic makes it relatively easy to add AtariVox speech to your code, but testing it is a whole different story. Unfortunately there is no way to emulate 7800 AtariVox speech on your PC with an emulator, you need the real thing to hear it. There is a workaround to hear speech from your PC outside of an Atari 7800 emulator for development purposes, but the process is admittedly a little painful. I realize I’m getting way ahead of myself by putting this information here, but below is a quick overview on how I did it.

How to test AtariVox speech code without a flash/multicart on real hardware:

If you hook up your AtariVox to your PC via a USB/Serial connection there is a way to hear speech using the Phrase-a-lator software tool, but I didn't use it for creating speech for Dungeon Stalker. You will need to connect your AtariVox to your PC with a USB to serial adapter. I have an official AtariVox USB to serial adapter I got from goldenaxe last year, I don't think AtariAge sells them, but I assume a generic USB to serial port adapter would work. If you examine the asm output file of your 7800 code once you've compiled the program, you can enter the specific numbers from the output in the .byte commands to listen to speech on your PC without a 7800. If you want to take the time to figure it out, it's the only way to listen to speech on a PC with an AtariVox. (The example below is from my AtariVox Speech Test Utility).

Here's a sample of what you'd be looking for in the asm output file for use with the Phrase-a-lator software (It's the 'watch out' speech from the sample program):

.L0270 ; speechdata speech31

JMP .skipL0270

speech31

.byte 31, 31 ; reset

.byte 21, 100 ; speed

.byte 22, 80 ; pitch

.byte 147,14,135,182 ; WATCH (dictionary)

.byte 21, 100 ; speed

.byte 22, 78 ; pitch

.byte 14,161,191 ; OUT (dictionary)

.byte 255 ; end of avox data

.skipL0270

When you lauch Phrase-a-lator, go to the "SpeakJet Phrase Editor", and add in the .byte commands from the asm output file like this: "\31 \31 \21 \100 \22 \80", those are the phoneme codes.

Setting Up 7800Basic for the first time

You can download the latest version of the 7800basic distribution from 8bitdev.org here. It is distributed as a zip file, download extract the contents of the folder to the location of your preference. Once you’ve extracted it, we’ll take a look at what’s in it. There should be five subdirectories created, 7800devkit, contrib, docs, includes, and samples. Note that 7800basic is run entirely from the command line, and for the most part in this guide I’m assuming you have a basic familiarity with how to use the command line. For those that don’t, I’ll start with a very basic rundown on how to get started with the command line in Windows 10.

Command Line

1. In Windows 10, right click the start button and choose “Run” (Windows 7 users would left click the start button to get to “Run”).

2. Type in CMD and click ok.

3. A Command prompt window will appear, and by default it will place you in your home directory (“C:\Users\Steve”).

4. Navigate to the folder location that unzipped your 7800basic files. In my case it’s C:\78b.

a. Type “cd \78b”. The “cd” stands for “change directory”, the single space and backslash tells it to look in the root of your C drive.

5. Once you’ve typed that, you’ll see the prompt change to your current location. Instead of seeing “C:\Users\Steve”, you’ll see “C:\78b”.

6. To change to a subdirectory inside the 78b directory, type “cd <name>”, for example to go into the samples directory we’d type “cd samples” (note the space in between). The prompt will change to “C:\78b\samples”.

7. To see a listing of the files and folders inside the directory, type “dir” (short for “directory”), and it will list the contents of the folder.

8. If you want to go back one directory (to C:\78b), you can type “cd ..”. The two dots will take you backwards one level each type you type it.

9. If you want to list all of the files of a single type, you can qualify the dir statement. For example, to see all of your basic files that end with the bas extension, type “dir *.bas”, and it will list only bas files.

10. For the next step, change directories back to the root folder, e.g. “C:\78b”.

7800 initial Installation

Once extracted, you’ll need to run the install script. Windows users should double-click and the provided install_win.bat file, or of course run it from the command line. OS X and Linux users should run the install_ux.sh script. What does the install script do? It permanently sets your bas7800dir variable and updates your environment path. If you ever change the directory you’ve extracted the files to, you will need to run the install script again. Here is the output you should see after running the batch file in windows:

The 7800basic installation batch file v1.1

------------------------------------------

Permanently setting the bas7800dir variable to:

C:\Users\e071237\Downloads\78b

SUCCESS: Specified value was saved.

Updating the user PATH variable so this bas7800dir directory is your primary

SUCCESS: Specified value was saved.

You should re-open any programs or command-line windows that rely on this

variable so they take on the new value.

You should re-run this batch file if you ever change the location of the

7800basic directory.

Now that it's installed, let's take a look at the subdirectories that are included in the distribution.

Documentation folder (\docs)

There is a pdf-format guide in the \docs folder, and Random Terrain has an online version of the manual as well. I’d recommend reading the manual before you get started to familiarize yourself with the commands and syntax. Do your homework. ;)

\7800devkit & \Contrib folders

These subfolders contain 7800basic source code and a collection of assembly language tools required for auto-creating your binary files, including the dasm assembler, the crypto singing tool for 7800 images, and the 7800 header tool. You won’t need to use or access anything in these directories for creating 7800basic code.

\includes folder

The includes folder contains extra assembly code that is used at compile time. You can think of them as “modules”, and many of them are optional. I can dive into what some of them are used for later on, when you’re first getting started you won’t really need to worry too much about what’s in this folder.

\samples folder

This is a collection of code samples that are almost entirely written by RevEng, I have one demo (Smasteroids) that he includes. This is a great place to start if you like to learn from example code. In addition to the sample code, in the root of the folder is the palette files that can be used when configuring your graphics editor, more on that later. Here’s an overview of the sample files that are included with 7800basic:

· Adventurer – demonstrates sprite movement around a mapped playfield display, and sprite animation. It’s a good example of how to create a mapped playfield without using the tiled map editor, if you choose to do it that way.

· Atarivoxspeech – As you would expect, this file shows the basics on how to create speech with the atarivox, and gives you four different options of speech phrases to test. It’s an example of plotting text on the screen as well.

· Banner – This sample is based on the adventurer sample, but with the addition of a logo in the middle of the screen that would be useful for a title screen. It demonstrates using the plotbanner command.

· Boxcollision – A very basic demonstration of how collisions work in 7800 basic. Use the joystick and the fire button to move two sprites together to trigger a collision.

· Doublebuffer – This sample demonstrates 36 sprites on screen at the same time in double-buffered display. This routine and 7800basic can handle more, but Maria runs out of DMA time when too many of the sprites drift into the same zone. As it stands, this demo intentionally spreads the sprites out vertically, to help Maria. In practice, you can have 24 sprites on screen at once.

· Drivingcontrol simple program to move a happy face around with the joystick, demonstrating the use of the driving controller with 7800basic.

· Helloworld – What you’d expect, it displays “Hello, World!” on the screen. It is a good example of using 320A mode and plotting text on the screen.

· Multisprite – Demonstrates 24 moving sprites on the screen at once, which is about the limit on real hardware.

· Plotmapfile – Based on the adventurer sample, it demonstrates how to use a mapped playfield using the tiled map editor, rather than plot commands within the code.

· Pokey – Demonstrates the use of pokey sound routines in 7800basic.

· Ramcharmap – This demonstrates the use of plotting charaters into RAM for use as a playfield, The game is a platformer demo, with a “hero” that you can move around the platforms.

· Samplegfx – Contains code for standard alphabet and score digits. They are extremely useful and you’ll probably use a few of these files in any game you start working on.

· Simple – A very simple demo that lets you move a happy face around the screen.

· Smasteroids – A demo that I created. It’s a simple space shooter that resembles astrosmash. You move your spaceship back and forth across the bottom of the screen and shoot asteroids out of the sky.

· Soundtest – A demonstration of using TIA based sound effects.

· Spacephysics – A more advanced demo that demonstrates the use of gravity and thrusting, similar to the spaceship in asteroids.

· Splitmodedemo - This is a quick demo on how to split the screen with 2 modes in 7800basic. The same technique can be used to just change color on the fly. Ideally, the split should happen near the top of the screen, as this technique wastes precious on-screen CPU cycles waiting until the split happens. If you waste cycles for a split near the bottom of the screen, you may not have enough cycles for game logic.

· Trackertest – A great sound tracker demo that demonstrates how to add full songs to your 7800basic programs.

Compiling Code

You should now have your environment set up and ready to go, so it’s time to try and compile our first program. Let’s compile RevEng’s “Hello World” sample program to get started.

To successfully compile, we need the files to be in the correct location. To keep things simple, I’m going to say “root folder” whenever I refer to the folder you’ve installed the 7800basic files and subfolders, be it “c:\7800bas\” or “/usr/dev/7800bas”, etc. By default, RevEng’s hello world sample program does not specify the location of the atascii.png graphics file that’s used to generate the “hello world” text on the screen, so it will look in the root folder for the file (in my case, “C:\78b”). To keep things organized and as a best practice, I’d recommend making a separate graphics subfolder for each project you work on in your root 7800basic folder. To compile the helloworld sample, copy the helloworld.bas file into your root folder, and create a new subfolder for the graphics file. Let’s call it “gfx_helloworld”. In my case, my root folder is “C:\78b”, and I created a new directory named “C:\78b\gfx_helloworld”. We’ll have to make a small change to the code for this to work. Open up the code in a text editor, and I’ll note in red text the one change we’ll need to make:

displaymode 320A

set basepath gfx_helloworld

rem **background color...

BACKGRND=$0

rem **set the height of characters and sprites...

set zoneheight 8

rem **import the characterset png...

incgraphic atascii.png 320A

rem **set color of 320A text palette 0...

P0C2=$0F

rem **set the current character set...

characterset atascii

rem **set the letters represent each graphic character...

alphachars ASCII

clearscreen

plotchars 'Hello World!' 0 0 0

plotchars 'It`s great to be alive.' 0 0 1

plotchars '12345678901234567890123456789012' 0 0 4

main

drawscreen

goto main

After you’ve copied the files from the \samples directory and made that edit to the file, we’re ready to compile it. Open up a command prompt window, navigate to your root directory, and type in “7800bas helloworld.bas”. If all goes well, you should see the output below. If not, 7800basic has many built in error handling functions, and in many cases it will either describe the error or tell you which line number of code is causing the problem. In windows, you can also type in the exension of the file, typing "7800bas.bat helloworld.bas" will also work. Either way, You must specify a filename after 7800bas, it won't run without that. Also, don't type 7800basic (or 7800basic.exe, the same file), as that's a separate executable file that is not used for this purpose.

C:\78b\>7800bas helloworld.bas

7800basic 0.6 Jul 12 2017 22:46:35

*** (): INFO, GFX Block #0 starts @ $E000

atascii

*** (): INFO, GFX block #0 has 1064 bytes left (133 x 8 bytes)

*** (): INFO, User-defined 'default.inc' found in the current directory

7800basic compilation complete.

User-defined macro.h found in current directory

User-defined 7800macro.h found in current directory

User-defined speakjet.inc found in current directory

User-defined 7800basicheader.asm found in current directory

User-defined 7800.asm found in current directory

User-defined last4k.asm found in current directory

User-defined std_routines.asm found in current directory

User-defined startup.asm found in current directory

User-defined zonememory.asm found in current directory

User-defined encryptionguard.asm found in current directory

User-defined 7800basicfooter.asm found in current directory

24389 bytes of ROM space left in the main area.

$1880 to $1fff used as zone memory, allowing 15 display objects per zone.

2501 bytes left in the 7800basic reserved area.

Complete.

Read $8000 bytes of cartridge data.

Cartridge hash area is from $F000 to $FFFF.

Cartridge signature for 'C:\78b\78b\helloworld.bas.bin' appears to be empty.

Encrypting... 00 01 02 success!

A valid cartridge signature is:

09 57 6a 92 da 83 71 ba ca 44 11 cb bd b0 73 1c

18 0d f7 e8 3e 3d a5 4a 1a ef ca fa 01 8f b8 b5

92 e0 0b 23 81 4e 73 66 37 97 f6 3c 8d b5 25 c4

78 ed e0 5f 4d e4 ad 24 95 6b 9e 45 e0 fc b3 e1

0f 13 8f 87 fc eb 2f f3 6d de 80 5e 37 ec 30 a0

1c 6e 2e 1d 62 ff b9 55 8d fc ae ce 71 83 9a ef

d9 b7 7d 54 ba c6 7d 13 94 0c c8 78 c7 5d c8 a1

34 b7 56 4c ff 98 85 13

Wrote back 120 bytes to 'C:\78b\78b\helloworld.bas.bin'.

7800header 0.7 Jul 12 2017 22:46:45

opened parameter file a78info.cfg

Notes about the compile time output

There are a few important things to note about your compile time output as you’re working on developing your game, shown below. Note that as you add additional options and features such as bankswitching, multiple graphics blocks, DMA holes, etc., the compile time output will present additional information relating to those specific options. For starters, you’ll want to keep track of how much space you’re using in your graphics block and how much ROM space you have left. It will also inform you of the specific version of 7800basic you’re running.

Version of 7800basic you’re running: 7800basic 0.6 Jul 12 2017 22:46:35

The amount of space left in your graphics block: INFO, GFX block #0 has 1064 bytes left (133 x 8 bytes)

The amount of ROM space remaining: 24389 bytes of ROM space left in the main area.

Your compiled output files

Now that it’s compiled, you should see three new output files. As I noted earlier, the a78 file is what you’ll be using to test from within an emulator and the bin file is for use on real hardware.

post-2143-0-02461200-1505843771.png

Common Compile Errors

This is not an exhaustive list, but here are a few errors you might see when compiling your code, and what you can do to resolve them. In many cases the error itself will tell you specifically what the problem is. I figured I'd be revising this list and adding to it as time goes on.

The system cannot find the path specified.

It’s likely you are running the 7800bas.bat file by itself with no code specified after it. Run “7800bas mycode.bas” instead.

7800basic 0.6 Jul 12 2017 22:46:35, then it hangs

If you only see a message similar to the above that shows the version of 7800basic you’re using, you’re probably running 7800basic.exe instead of 7800bas.bat. 7800basic.exe is not intended to be run for compiling, you need to use the batch file.

*** (101): ERROR, graphics overrun in bank 1

The error message means you have too many graphics with "incraphic" in bank1. You'll need to shift some of those to another bank. Keep in mind that when you issue "drawscreen" you can only use graphics in the last bank or the same bank with the "drawscreen" command.

*** (1667): error: Label mismatch...

Unrecoverable error(s) in pass, aborting assembly!

There can be a few causes for "label mismatch". General syntax errors or duplicate labels are the common causes. An bank that’s over filled might trigger the error as well.

I generated the error above by creating an "if...then" statement and leaving off the "then", an easy syntax error to make.

If you can't figure out where the error is, the (1667) refers to the line number in the asm output file. You can open the asm file and look at line 1667 to see what exactly is causing the error.

*** (144): ERROR, alphadata character ' ' is missing from alphachars."

You defined an alphachars image file that doesn’t contain the character specified in the command. The "144" means the syntax error occurred on line 144.

*** (1698): error: Value in 'cmp #257' must be <$100

Somewhere in your code you've called an invalid number.

Unresolved symbol List Errors

--- Unresolved Symbol List ---

USED_ADJUSTVISIBLE 0000 ???? (R )

ROMAT4K 0000 ???? (R )

0.dsdfff 0000 ???? (R )

The "Unresolved Sybol List" error will give you some clues as to where to look. In this case, I created an invalid goto statment to a non existent label, "dsdfff". Look for items in the list that you recognize that you’ve created yourself – variable names, label names, etc. That’s where to look first.

Running your game in an emulator

Now that you’ve compiled your game, it’s time to run it in an emulator and take a look at it. As I mentioned in a tip earlier, I always install mame into the same directory as 7800basic on my development PC. In addition, to make things easier for myself I created a simple windows batch file so I can simply type ‘game rom.a78’ to launch the game immediately after it’s compiled, otherwise I’d have to type ‘c:\78b\mame a7800 –cart rom.a78’ each time. Here’s the windows batch file code (which I have saved as game.cmd):

@echo off

if "%1"=="" goto error

c:\78b\mame64 a7800 -cart "c:\78b\%1.bas.a78"

goto end

:error

echo Atari 7800 mame game launcher

echo .

echo You must type in a ROM name to launch

:end

Once you’ve launched the ROM, the hello world output should look like this:

post-2143-0-43468400-1505843771.png

Congratulations! You’ve made your first Atari 7800 game, and you’re all set to start compiling code. J Before we dive into creating a new game, we’re going to need to get Gimp and Tiled configured and learn a bit about how to create graphics and use them. That’s where we’ll start in Part 2, stay tuned!

Tutorial Contents:

Part 1:

Setting up your Development Environment

Part 2:

Creating Graphics

Creating a Title Screen

Sprite Creation & Displaying Them on the Screen

Part 3:

Getting Started with Writing the Code

Adding Player Sprite Movement and Gun firing

Moving Non-Player Sprites on screen

Collision Detection between gunfire and Non-Player Sprites

Adding a Status bar with the Score and Lives Remaining

Collision Detection between all Sprites, Speed Change on clearing screen

Animation, Sound Effects, and Performance Troubleshooting

Adding a High Score

Code Optimization, More Animation, and Holey DMA

AtariVox Speech

• Like 8

Nice, but would Paint.Net work in place of GIMP?

My short answer is "I don't know", but I did a quick google search and it looks like it might as there does appear to be an option to import a custom palette. I can tell you that when you create graphics for 7800basic, images must be in an indexed format (rather than "rgb" format) and you should import the appropriate palette file I linked to in Part 2 of this tutorial (atari256.png with 13 indexed colors). I found a solution (Gimp) that worked for me and I stuck with it, I can't test and document all the different options.

I personally use GraphicsGale because it's geared towards pixel art.

I draw it with wide pixels so I can see exactly how it'll look in-game, save that to a PNG, halve the width in Paint.net, then use ImageMagick to convert the image format to an indexed format. GraphicsGale can worked with indexed images but the ImageMagick just makes sure that 7800BASIC is happy with them.

• Like 2

I personally use GraphicsGale because it's geared towards pixel art.

I draw it with wide pixels so I can see exactly how it'll look in-game, save that to a PNG, halve the width in Paint.net, then use ImageMagick to convert the image format to an indexed format. GraphicsGale can worked with indexed images but the ImageMagick just makes sure that 7800BASIC is happy with them.

Which works great cause your graphics are unreal!

• 7 months later...

I'm trying to figure out what exactly the X and Y coordinates truly represent. I'm thinking if I'm in 320A or 320B mode, that means I have 320 pixels to work with from left to right, correct??

But if I plot anything with an X coordinate of, say, 50, it renders off the screen (or perhaps doesn't render at all)...even if it's just one character. Weird.

BTW, how does one remove a sprite or text without clearing the screen??

320 mode sprites are moved about the sprite the same way as a 160 mode sprite. Consider the pixel pairs in a 320 sprite to be full pixels. So 0-159 moves the sprite around the screen the same as before, with 160+ being drawn off the screen.

Yeah, movement isn't done as 320 pixels although you can fake it if you had two identical sprites, each off by 1 pixel. The player in Graze Suit Alpha is done that way. I use to do it with the enemies as well but it was eating up a lot of sprites. :)

• Like 1

I'm trying to figure out what exactly the X and Y coordinates truly represent. I'm thinking if I'm in 320A or 320B mode, that means I have 320 pixels to work with from left to right, correct??

But if I plot anything with an X coordinate of, say, 50, it renders off the screen (or perhaps doesn't render at all)...even if it's just one character. Weird.

plotchars uses screen coordinates for X, which as Mord points out, normally range from 0-159. But plotchars uses "line coordinates" for Y, because 7800basic doesn't allow you to fine position text vertically. (reason for that is it's hideously expensive for DMA)

So maybe you're using an overly large Y coordinate?

BTW, how does one remove a sprite or text without clearing the screen??

You can just restore the screen to one you've saved before plotting your sprites. This is the main reason for savescreen/restorescreen existing in the first place. To the 7800, there is no background or foreground objects, it's all just objects. So savescreen/restorescreen is your way to tell it where the background ends and the foreground begins.

Yeah, movement isn't done as 320 pixels although you can fake it if you had two identical sprites, each off by 1 pixel. The player in Graze Suit Alpha is done that way. I use to do it with the enemies as well but it was eating up a lot of sprites. :)

I like this idea very much. I don't think it adds much to games that move at top speed, but for slower stuff and games that have sub-pixel movement (like the "spacephysics" sample) it would make a big difference. :thumbsup:

The 7800 doesn't have a default character buffer as such, so that sort of thing wouldn't work.

To see a variable you can use the plotvalue command to make it display somewhere on the screen. It will display it as a hex number (assuming you have font characters A-F in your character font) or you'll need to convert it to BCD format using the converttobcd() function.

OK, I think I have the hang of that...except...I think I did something wrong with the random number generator. I want to go through a 28-element array, and every time I hit the fire button, I want to see the next value. But they're all showing as 0. :/

I'm seeing that variable "qqq" is incrementing as expected, but the value of line[qqq] is always zero.

Code:

title
	clearscreen
	restorescreen
	plotchars 'Controller mode:' 2 5 5
	if controller=0 then plotsprite singlebutton 1 75 80
	if controller=1 then plotsprite twobutton 1 75 80
	if controller=2 then plotsprite vectrexstyle 1 75 80
	plotchars 'flirzelkwerp' 0 12 10
	if joy0fire then clearscreen:goto main
	if joy0right then gosub change_cont
	if switchselect then gosub change_cont
	drawscreen
	goto title
	/*
		Need 28 random numbers to represent lines.
	*/
	for x = 0 to 27:line[x] = rand:next

main
	rrr = line[qqq]
	set plotvalueonscreen on
	clearscreen
	displaymode 320A
	plotchars 'q:' 1 5 0
	plotvalue scoredigits_8_wide 1 qqq 2 1 5
	plotvalue scoredigits_8_wide 1 rrr 2 1 10
	if joy0fire then qqq=qqq+1
	if qqq=28 then qqq=0
	drawscreen		
	goto main

In your code leading up to this, did you happen to set "rand=0" or something equivalent? The random number generator breaks if you seed it with a 0.

Didn't seed it at all. Dumb question: do I need to seed it with something??? If so, how do I determine what to seed it with?? The docs are vague in that regard.

You don't need to seed it. The random numbers are actually pseudo-random values, that have a particular pattern. If you wanted to change the starting point of that pattern, you might seed rand with a value that was generated by user interaction. e.g. "rand=frame|1" where frame is a value that was incremented until the user hit the "reset" switch.

I'm not sure why your example isn't working. I copied the code you provided into my own program, and it displays random numbers. If you want me to dig deeper, try attaching a zip file with the files.

• 7 months later...

First of all thanks for the tutorial. Second seems i tend to struggle setting these things up im having no luck so far compiling the helloworld sample. Probably something simple im missing or that fact im used to Visual bataribasic doing it all for me. Anyway here is were im at. :?post-30687-0-69872000-1546205527_thumb.png

Odd. Assuming you have helloworld.bas in "c:\78b\7800basic", it seems your computer doesn't want to run the 7800bas batch file.

Usually you don't need the extension for executable files, but let's include it - try the same thing again, but with the command "7800bas.bat helloworld.bas".

If you haven't already, also try running the "install_win.bat" file, per the manual.

• Like 1

Odd. Assuming you have helloworld.bas in "c:\78b\7800basic", it seems your computer doesn't want to run the 7800bas batch file.

Usually you don't need the extension for executable files, but let's include it - try the same thing again, but with the command "7800bas.bat helloworld.bas".

If you haven't already, also try running the "install_win.bat" file, per the manual.

Yeah the extension still made no difference :?. I have also ran the "install_win.bat" a couple of times and the post installation message checks out good as per manual.

Is the helloworld.bas file in the folder you're running 7800bas from? I notice you have a gfx_helloworld folder there, but the original sample doesn't have folders like that for helloworld (unless it was changed in a more recent version?

I added that folder along with the projects folder as a location to save my .bas files to for compiling. I originally had the helloworld sample .bas file there however moved it out and made the gfx_helloworld folder as i had been experimenting.

Maybe just placing the helloworld.bas sample file in the 7800basic directory and not a subfolder? Might give that a go

Maybe just placing the helloworld.bas sample file in the 7800basic directory and not a subfolder? Might give that a go

Shouldn't be necessary to put the .bas in the 7800basic directory if the install_win.bat completed successfully. However, if you have it placed in a subfolder, make sure you move to that subfolder in your command window prior to running the command. ie: You must be in the same folder as the .bas program when you run 7800bas. Based on your screenshots, you're not in the correct folder when running 7800bas if you have the .bas file in the gfx_helloworld folder. You'd first have to type "cd gfx_helloworld" to move to the proper folder then run "7800bas helloworld.bas".

Shouldn't be necessary to put the .bas in the 7800basic directory if the install_win.bat completed successfully. However, if you have it placed in a subfolder, make sure you move to that subfolder in your command window prior to running the command. ie: You must be in the same folder as the .bas program when you run 7800bas. Based on your screenshots, you're not in the correct folder when running 7800bas if you have the .bas file in the gfx_helloworld folder. You'd first have to type "cd gfx_helloworld" to move to the proper folder then run "7800bas helloworld.bas".

Thanks for the explanation it almost compiled but had an error with the .png

post-30687-0-62673200-1547089968.png

Inside helloworld.bas you've used an line like "incgraphic gfx_helloworld\atascii.png ...", but atascii.png is in your project directory along with your basic file. You just need "incgraphic atascii.png".

Ok some progress but still no luck. It generates an .asm file and an info file. I have changed the line in .bas file to "incgraphic gfx_helloworld\atascii.png" to "incgraphic atascii.png" Also have tried putting the png into a subfolder and none have worked so far.

Im getting this in the cmd prompt and a blinking cursor post-30687-0-47302200-1547092389.png

Edited by Tony The 2600