IGNORED

Video 61 translator cart

V-Cool

Hmm, haven't used it but I would have expected it would only help you with disk based software? Faster than booting a separate translator disk first.

Is inserting another cart afterwards actually an intended use case?

that's a thought. Maybe it's for carts only. If so, I feel REALLY smart...

That's how some of the Atarimax flash carts can be reprogrammed using an .atr file.... hot swapping once the program is loaded. However, it takes like twenty-thirty tries to make it work without locking the system, and I don't think it's super great for the hardware. You are much better installing one of the modern flash-able OS options like 32 in 1 or Ultimate 1mb that let you use OS B or another compatible OS.

• Like 1

Is inserting another cart afterwards actually an intended use case?

Yes it is one of the intended uses. I seem to remember

instructions on the screen before the pull cart message?

Do one thing and it will boot a disk, do another after

inserting 2nd cart, but it was a dual purpose translator.

Afair,

1) insert translator cart

2) when the pull message appears, pull the cart

3) the title screen of this translator (Ultrafix XL) should still be there (if not, something went wrong); press the Help key for the menu!

4) now you have to press two console keys (Start+Option) to boot a cart under this translator. The screen will change to one colour and now you should insert your 800only cart. Don`t press Reset or the translator is gone!

Personally I do not like these carts which you have to pull from the computer. And the translator cart was originally a simple ML file (COM/XEX/EXE, named e.g. Ultrans.COM) that could be loaded from DOS or a bootloader. As a cart it happens quite often, that the translator and/or the computer crashes when you pull the cart. Or the computer crashes when you insert the 800only cart. If I remember correctly, the fileversion worked better (but inserting an 800only cart also did not always work)...

Here is an older version 1.3 for download:

http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/holmes%20cd/Holmes%201/ATR%20Programs/Applications%20A-Z/Ultrafix%20XL%201.3.atr

Attached also a newer version 2.0 of this translator, as well as a screenshot.

post-3782-0-49033600-1505930955.jpg

ULTRANS.xex

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 5

I just tried using these instructions. It did not work with 2 different 800 Only carts. The Translator Cart was a waste of money for me. I have no idea what it's good for. Don't buy one is my advice.

1) insert translator cart

2) when the pull message appears, pull the cart

3) the title screen of this translator (Ultrafix XL) should still be there (if not, something went wrong); press the Help key for the menu!

4) now you have to press two console keys (Start+Option) to boot a cart under this translator. The screen will change to one colour and now you should insert your 800only cart. Don`t press Reset or the translator is gone!

Hey, I have one of these but don't have the instructions. I plug it in and it tells me to pull the cart. So, I plug in another cart and nothing. So, I assume there's some step that I am not aware of that makes the subsequent cart work correct? Anyone know about these?

This special tutorial video will show you how to use V-61's Ultra Translator cartridge on the Atari XL/XE computers. This is so you can operate disks and cartridges that you cannot work with otherwise on newer Atari 8-bit computers.

http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/3499-v61s-ultra-translator-video-tutorial-for-the-atari-8-bit/

thanks for looking,

lance

www.atarisales.com

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I have been playing around with the file version of the original program and a Gorf cartridge on my XL. What I have noticed is that, when you insert a cartridge after the Translator program has run, you have to do it kind of quickly and in one swift movement. If the cartridge board makes any sort of partial connection with cartridge port before it is fully inserted, the Atari will completely crash and you have to start the entire process again. The translator program itself works fine in getting my Gorf cartridge to work on my XL system as long as I do the insertion process correctly. Sometimes it really does take an extra try or two in order to get it right.

Edited by SS

Okay, since we are revisiting the translator realm, which I have several threads on...... there is a few things being missed here.... and they are simple....

1)perfectly clean cartridge port

2)perfectly clean cartridge fingers...

and

3)bonus round, inserting the cart quickly and ever so slightly (a degree or two) on and angle... I forget which side left or right slightly higher, a couple tries you'll have it...you'll nail it practically ever time once you have it down...

The Atarimax flash cart tool has taken steps to help avoid a lock up in it's timing as well as handling of the hot swap...

The translators need to replicate those steps...

The Atari was designed to handle hot swaps... no damage should occur.

taking a quick look,

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229218-two-versions-of-translator-disk/?p=3108494

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229218-two-versions-of-translator-disk/?p=3108461

you will find more if you dig..

Edited by _The Doctor__

Instead of using the translator, I installed a 32k Eprom into my XL with original XL-OS (Rev. 2) and some OLD-OS (most likely OS-A, but not absolutely sure). The switch is normally always set to XL-OS, but in those few cases where I need the OLD-OS, I simply switch to it and thats it (no need to load any translator disk or translator cart)...

• Like 2

My dad modified quite a few XL's and XE's in the 80's/90's with a switchable OS, stacking 16K EPROMs ontop of the original OS - commonly Omniview, Omnimon, and BOSS XL which each had varying degrees of 800 compatibility. Each eprom's power would be switched on/off to determine which one was 'live' Nowadays I guess you would just burn a single 64K eprom with the Switches wired to the the extra address lines.

I guess I was spoiled as a kid - the translator disk was such a pain! :)

Edited by Nezgar
  • Like 2

I've got Atarimax 32-in-1's in three of my computers and the fourth is getting the U1MB with 4 OS's. I haven't used any translator since...before I can remember...but hot-swapping sucks, even if a machine is made to handle it. Except the ability to hot-swap CF cards on the MyIDE 2, but then that's 100% guaranteed and without worrying about timing!

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

I always hated the idea of pulling out carts when the machine was on, I also worried about putting carts in, I had a paranoia about bending the pins in the socket, basically I played everything from disk :)

As Phaeron said, he does not emulate the smoke and fire when you do something daft :) (Although as a gag it would be nice)

• Like 1

I always hated the idea of pulling out carts when the machine was on, I also worried about putting carts in, I had a paranoia about bending the pins in the socket, basically I played everything from disk :)

Honestly, by this point in time I have so many other options available to me if I want to play alternate-OS games. And the file version of Gorf has *always* worked for me on my XL. I have no real need to jump through any of the hoops that it takes to run a Gorf cartridge. However, I've owned this cart for years and years and have never actually been able to play the thing. Mostly I just wanted to do it successfully once or twice. Now it can go back into the drawer and be happily neglected once again. :)