IGNORED

Midwest Gaming Classic 2018

thanatos

I'm going for Saturday and Sunday. I couldn't talk any of my friends into getting the Friday tickets, so I skipped it as well... Even though we are all heading there Friday anyway.

Since it is in Milwaukee this year I am going to try the Mega Bus (from Minneapolis). I have taken it to Chicago before and it wasn't a bad ride - beats driving.

I didn't realize until today that there's a hacker convention overlapping on that Friday.

I think I'll be leaving my phone off that evening... I'd also recommend no one connect to any "Free Wi-Fi!" hotspots in the convention center. :D

• Like 1

I didn't realize until today that there's a hacker convention overlapping on that Friday.

I think I'll be leaving my phone off that evening... I'd also recommend no one connect to any "Free Wi-Fi!" hotspots in the convention center. :D

I remember going to DefCon many moons ago as a dumb 18 year old. Thankfully, tech wasn't high enough where there was wi fi or cell phones to be completely bled of all info and identity due to my oversight.

I remember going to DefCon many moons ago as a dumb 18 year old. Thankfully, tech wasn't high enough where there was wi fi or cell phones to be completely bled of all info and identity due to my oversight.

I went to DefCon way back in 2003. It was a pretty cool experience. No smartphones, but I had this with a WiFi card.

post-14204-0-29922100-1520272540.jpg

I've got my weekend pass and my plane tickets, so I'll be attending again this year (though I won't be talking Splatterhouse in a panel this time around!) Staying with my friend Brian in Chicago, we'll be driving up Saturday and Sunday morning. My shopping list isn't terribly extensive this year, but I'd love to grab a few of the remaining NES, SNES and Genesis games on my wanted list and see what pre-crash stuff I might be able to scavenge at a decent price. I did all right on that front the last two years (though last year was in no small part because of Sean Kelly knocking the price down on a few 2600 rarities).

Beyond that I'm looking forward to the arcade games, the museum, and just hanging out with buddies I scarcely see outside of the convention. Feel free to say hi!

• Like 1

The wife and I will go if they have Apple II and emulation stuff. We're about an hour's drive at most. And I'm not interested in paying $55 to see shitpiles of Mario and fighting games.

I hate to say it, but if all you want to do is jam out on Apple II stuff, MGC probably isn't the show for you.

It'll be there, sure--there is always a small handful of Apple II/IIgs systems, as well as a /// and even a Replica I in the E2M area, and maybe a couple other random ones scattered around among other groups/vendors--but there most likely won't be much to see that you don't already have in your collection (I know you're a big Apple guy).

Not sure about emulation...nor am I sure why you'd want to pay money to see it. Unless you want to buy one of those bartop arcades or something (which are seriously awesome and I need one, but I digress :-D). Pretty much anything you'd want to see in emulation will be there in the flesh anyway. :)

Edited by BassGuitari

Ticket purchased, so my daughter and step daughters are stoked. Just waiting for the wife to see if she wants to go or not. Not big on games (if anything she's an Atari VCS girl but her ex played and basically told her to sit and watch...so a but of a grudge on games) but wants to experience it with me.

I'm starting a small pick-up list as funds are tight. I fired up my 2600 after repla ing the power brick and found my cart of Solaris is cracked!

Not sure about emulation...nor am I sure why you'd want to pay money to see it. Unless you want to buy one of those bartop arcades or something (which are seriously awesome and I need one, but I digress :-D). Pretty much anything you'd want to see in emulation will be there in the flesh anyway. :)

I like to look at other cab's setups and arrangements. Get ideas on what and what not to do. Follow trends and figure out how to avoid them, without departing into impracticality. That kind of thing.

• Like 1

I like to look at other cab's setups and arrangements. Get ideas on what and what not to do. Follow trends and figure out how to avoid them, without departing into impracticality. That kind of thing.

Ah, gotcha. :thumbsup:

With the exploding interest in NES and now SNES, yes, 'fraid pre-NES material is becoming less each year.

You mean "exploded?" :P

Don't worry, before long, the NES and SNES will be the new Atari 2600 and Colecovision, and it will be the dirt-common PlayStation 2 and GameCube games that will be going for $50 a pop while the old Nintendo and Sega stuff languishes in musty bins underneath the tables.

(Actually, I think the NES and SNES will be popular for some time to come, just because of how massive a deal they've become in recent years. The "Atari Bubble" never got anywhere close as big as the current "Nintendo Bubble," simply because its popularity sort of peaked before retrogaming really blew up and became mainstream.)

• Like 1

For free? I'll take it. :)

Yep, for free. It has video / memory issues, and no tape drives, but it has a ton of software, a floppy drive that worked when I tested it 3 years ago. It also has a 256K memory expander and parallel port.

Yep, for free. It has video / memory issues, and no tape drives, but it has a ton of software, a floppy drive that worked when I tested it 3 years ago. It also has a 256K memory expander and parallel port.

Sure, what the heck! Maybe I can bring it back to life. If I can't, I'll pass it along at VCF or at the show next year. :)

• Like 1

Sure, what the heck! Maybe I can bring it back to life. If I can't, I'll pass it along at VCF or at the show next year. :)

I'll get a list of the stuff together that I have.

I am thinking of keeping the ten or so Colecovision carts I have for it, because those work. I haven't made my mind up on that yet.

I did repair the controllers last year.. permanently soldering the wires to the board inside, and they work fine.

• Like 1

Eh, the best pizza in MKE isn't downtown, IMO. The local cultural intelligentsia agrees:

https://www.milwaukeemag.com/best-pizza-places-in-milwaukee/

Pizza Shuttle on the East Side is probably the best, closest one, maybe 10 minutes northeast from the convention center, depending on traffic. It's actually a couple blocks down the road from Koppa's Fulbeli Deli, the famous local grocery store with the Atari setup (now a Sears Video Game Selector, IIRC). :)

• Like 1