IGNORED

This is what's wrong with some homebrew

bradhig1

Recorded while playing Alfred Challenge on Stella. got to level 5 and at one point I couldn't go down from a platform where a green enemy was and got killed due to bad collision detection with the ladder. i thought this ended after four screens. You guys just love getting me mad like this don't you. I don't like yelling at my laptop or hitting because of insane difficulty spikes. Ever since the NES and commerical companys made games more causal homebrew authors have been ramping it up like crazy. I have a lot of homebrew I like. Haunted Adventure Trilogy is an awesome game other then the ultimate easter egg thing. Pesco is awesome and Chetiry is too. Has anyone ever beat Alfred Challenge or is it endless.

IMG_5852.MOV

To be fair, there were many game-breaking glitches in original releases and even in modern day releases on modern hardware. It's part of gaming, luckily now, modern developers can patch games, but this is still something that we can't really do on Atari.

Most homebrew developers often are working on their creations after long days at work, well into the night and during the weekends with kids and what not running around them. We are mainly amateurs, doing it for the love of a scene and to keep the consoles alive in this day and age. We wont get everything perfect, but at least we still have some amazing and often original content being released.

• Like 1

Recorded while playing Alfred Challenge on Stella. got to level 5 and at one point I couldn't go down from a platform where a green enemy was and got killed due to bad collision detection with the ladder. i thought this ended after four screens. You guys just love getting me mad like this don't you. I don't like yelling at my laptop or hitting because of insane difficulty spikes. Ever since the NES and commerical companys made games more causal homebrew authors have been ramping it up like crazy. I have a lot of homebrew I like. Haunted Adventure Trilogy is an awesome game other then the ultimate easter egg thing. Pesco is awesome and Chetiry is too. Has anyone ever beat Alfred Challenge or is it endless.

I admire the fact, that despite all the issues you mentioned you are still playing those homebrews!

• Like 1

Most homebrew authors only work on games, specifically to piss you off. I thought everyone knew that. :?

They are obsessed with being remembered. Whether it be putting a long of easter eggs in or limited number releases it causes the gameplay to suffer. I want to get rid of that stupid time lime I am on level 6 and there isn't enough time to finish it and those disappearing platforms are annoying. What were the limited and special releases of Alfred Challenge? Carts with boxes.

I admire anyone who takes the time to learn a programming language. Especially those that are Kung Fu Masters with Assembly Language Skills. I'm grateful for any and all Homebrew games that I get a chance to try and play. Finished or unfinished it's inspiring. It's what makes Atariage a fun place for me. And it's what keeps me interested in old consoles and computers. I often wish I would have been born in the 60s so I could have enjoyed the birth of home computers.

Edited by adamchevy

Ever since the NES and commerical companys made games more causal homebrew authors have been ramping it up like crazy.

It's not that anyone is ramping anything up, it's that homebrews are throwbacks to when video games were actually hard. Modern games offer challenges, but they also want the player to succeed. Classic games were designed around how many quarters they pulled in. If people could play for 30 minutes per credit, the game was a failure. If they played for 2 minutes, died, then put in another quarter, the game was a success.

Alfred Challenge has annoyingly finicky ladder interactions that make the game frustrating. The fact that you've played through that to get to level 5 is a testament to...something. The quality of the game? Your threshold for pain? Definitely something.

• Like 2

There is always someone who has to go directly for the Juggler, right CPUWIZ?

This was not directly for the jugular but a response to several other posts expressing some harsher frustrations towards homebrews. CPUWIZ even offered some friendly, helpful advice to the OP in another thread well before this to seemingly no avail.

Look, I get that games can sometimes be frustrating, but so can life. It's amazing that after all the drama over not finding an easter egg, you still manage to throw it into this thread. I honestly feel bad for you, so I don't want to sound rude. The fact is, if video games really stress you out so bad, you NEED to stop playing them. I'm saying this out of concern for your health. It's clear that you get extremely worked up over very insignificant things, which puts a VERY real strain on your heart, among other things. I know it's been suggested already, but I think you should consider seeking some help from a support group or possibly seeing a mental health professional. There's no shame in admitting you have a problem and it's the first step to finding a solution. I know you feel like other members here are being jerks, but after months of complaining about something, people tend to get tired of hearing about it. It doesn't mean that these people are jerks, it just means they have been pushed to their limit. They are feeling the same type of frustration as you seem to get from gaming. Almost every forum member who has replied to your threads, offered advice, because they wanted to help. Time after time, their advice was ignored. If you can't accept help from the people willing to give it, then there's no use in posting complaints. People come here to talk about something they enjoy, with people who have similar interests, not to read countless complaints about a game being too hard or not being able to find an easter egg. I hope you can take this as constructive criticism or helpful advice and not as an insult. You have made some rather good contributions to the community here, but they are being overshadowed by the negativity you've been bringing here lately.

• Like 6