IGNORED

Get ERROR- 10 msg and not READY at boot.

McQuirko

That´s not really sure. As the threadstarter wrote, Missilie Command also has issues. Maybe only a few bits below $0400 are defect - this wouldn´t detected by OS ram check routine. And Atari BASIC uses a lot of pointers in the zeropage. This was my first thought when reading the "ERROR 10" and missing READY prompt thing.

IMHO changing the both DRAMs are the 1st thing I would try.

Jurgen

But with an external BASIC / Missile Command cart the same DRAM locations will be used. So, if external BASIC works, and internal BASIC does not... doesn't that mean that your theory is not right here?

But with an external BASIC / Missile Command cart the same DRAM locations will be used. So, if external BASIC works, and internal BASIC does not... doesn't that mean that your theory is not right here?

Oh... I overlooked that information. Hmm. Then it could only be the ROM itself or the MMU.

Jurgen

That´s not really sure. As the threadstarter wrote, Missilie Command also has issues. Maybe only a few bits below $0400 are defect - this wouldn´t detected by OS ram check routine. And Atari BASIC uses a lot of pointers in the zeropage. This was my first thought when reading the "ERROR 10" and missing READY prompt thing.

IMHO changing the both DRAMs are the 1st thing I would try.

Jurgen

ok, then the issue is not on the rom, but the ram? but if the cartdrige works just fin with the ram, is not the ram working ok?

• 11 months later...

Sorry for the 1 year delay in my aswers. I taked again my proyect of 8bit music. I get out my xegs and trying to figure out how can i get it work. And play some ms pacman to! :P

Possibly the selection for the lower (?) half of the Rom is bad.

If you can manage it, type ? FRE(0) in Basic and see if you get a response. The response should be 37902

Yes it gets 37,902

Hmmm, this is a strange issue.

Basic 8k, Missile Command 8k and the OS 16k are in one 32k rom-chip.

So why does the OS seem to work OK and both 8k cartridges not...

If an external Missile Command cartridge / Basic works fine, you can eliminate RAM-problems.

But do you have these carts to check this?

I would guess there could also be an issue with the MMU, controlling ROM/RAM-areas.

And if not, it's indeed the 32k ROM that has gone bezerk in one region, so yeah, check soldering what Rybags suggest.

Else replace the ROM, an EPROM with the same content will do fine too.

Yes, it look like the mmu is the guilty,

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, it does.

Edit: but remember the MMU is different from other XEs.

Yes, i manage to get another xegs and i will try to swap their MMU and RAM. (this one get bad color but boot very OK)

Im very afraid to mess up the board and destroy it. I got it for 15 Dlls but people stared to raise the prices (no they sell it by 75 dlls the cheapest.

really thinking in buy it at best electronics mmu replacement.

Edited by McQuirko
  • Like 1