IGNORED

3do and composite and svideo

Gamer888

I own a 3do sanyo plugged on a lcd screen TV. I know this is not the best way to play an old system but good old school tube TVs are a no for me because room issue.

I have 2 LCD screen TVs....one has a svideo input. I have noticed next to real differences between the s-video and composite display.

Is the difference non existent on lcd screen TVs?
Are some 3do models better than others when it comes to picture quality?

Not sure about straight to LCD, but there is a difference on a CRT. Do you still have the composite connection plugged in when using s-video? If so many setups will ignore the s-video connection unless you disconnect the composite cord.

If I recall correctly, the 3DO has a really strong composite output. This could also be why you aren't seeing a noticeable difference.

It's the TV. Modern LCD/LED TVs have bad results with 240p/480i video feeds. They are designed to display 720/1080p so they have to upscale lower resolutions. The upscalers in the TVs aren't great at this. That is why people invest a lot of money in upscalers like the XRGB/ frameister or OSSC.

On a CRT, the difference is more noticeable between Composite and S-video. The best option for picture on a HD TVs is RGB --> upscalers (XRGB/ OSSC).

• 2 weeks later...

Will I feel any differences if I upgrade my 3do to scart RGB?RGB is of course way better than s-video but on such TVs as LCD, will such difference be notable?

I know on the genesis..from compiste to rgb, I could see the difference now I wonder about the 3do.

It depends on the quality of the upscaler in the tv. RGB is sharper and more vibrant than Y/C but it will still be at 240p/480i. I will be installing my new RGB mod as soon as the parts arrive so I will be able to get a better idea after that. I've got an older SD crt and a newer HD LED so I will be able to get a good comparison. I will let u know :-)

As I said, for retro consoles, I recommend RGB + XRGB/ OSSC on a HD tv or RGB + CRT/ BVM monitor.

Edit: also check out this thread for discussion on 3DO + Tv type http://atariage.com/forums/topic/153978-3do-lcd-or-tube/

Edited by Taijigamer

• 2 months later...

What did you end up deciding to go with on this for best picture? I'm in the USA and there is no RGB. But my FZ-1 has the svideo port in the back. All I would need is a male to make svideo plug. Does it actually look better than the composite on the 3DO? I've been googling forever and can't seem to find any comparisons for the 3DO on svideo vs composite.

In my test, there is a difference between s-video and composite but such difference is not that big. Actually I saw the differences because I switched back in forth between both input and "analyse" the picture but really not much to talk about. Now keep in mind this was made on a lcd TV, a good oldish TV from the 1990s will likely show a bigger gap.

I ended up "choosing" the composite only because I put my 3do in my living room and on this LCD TV, there is no s-video input. I knew I wouldn't loose that much.

I have it hooked up to a 36 inch Sony Trinitron XBR that's fairly high end foe being a CRT. The 3DO is hooked up using the normal composite cables and looks grainy but again that could just be 3do quality. I think an svideo cable alone is like $5. I may just try it but had wondered if it made much difference.

I have been trying to upgrade what I can for my Jaguar, Saturn, 3do, and Dreamcast. Depending who you ask some will say svideo makes a huge difference and others say it makes no difference. Some recommend it for the older systems but not newer than the Saturn (as in the Dreamcast would make no difference as it's newer). I get lost on which ones really make a difference.

S-video cable are dirt cheap...some might be better than others but only one way to find out. One thing is sure, the whole gold thing is a scam. I heard on japanese systems, s-video looks better than RGB. I used to have a saturn and I compared both cables (S-video and RGB..still on lcd screen), I would say it's similar. The saturn-s-video output seems to be of great quality.

And if you can, just use the VGA for the dreamcast..not compatible with all games but stunning pictures!!

I have my fz-10 hooked up using s-video. I had it had it hooked up to s-video & composite simultaneously. Switching back forth between inputs, there is definitely a difference & I do think the s-video looks better. Not a significant difference but it does look better.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on this: from what I could tell, in plugging in the 3DO to the video and swapping over to the yellow regular cable, I noticed no difference at all. I was disappointed :( But worth a shot for $3 for the cable.

When I tried s-video on the Sega Saturn there was a huge difference. When I tried it on the Jaguar there was a slight difference (maybe sharper edges and less red bleed but nothing fantastic). But basically no difference at all on the 3DO for me.

Hi pal,

Glad you made this test but I am surprised by your experience. Maybe you had a low quality cable?I know..still on a LCD..I had a difference between composite and s-video but the difference is actually quite thin. Nothing to create a big set up about...I just plug whatever is more pratical.

If someday I have the 3do has my only console, I will treat her right with some good eye candy cable such as an heavy s-video cable made of gold and all that shit even though there is no real impact on the picture!!!

Hi pal,

Glad you made this test but I am surprised by your experience. Maybe you had a low quality cable?I know..still on a LCD..I had a difference between composite and s-video but the difference is actually quite thin. Nothing to create a big set up about...I just plug whatever is more pratical.

If someday I have the 3do has my only console, I will treat her right with some good eye candy cable such as an heavy s-video cable made of gold and all that shit even though there is no real impact on the picture!!!

so when you did it with an svideo cable it looked good? It might have been a crappy cable as the one I had I found in a box that was not gold and very thin. I will try to test the gold one I found as well and see I that works better. Problem for me will then be that I have 3 svideo ports and 4 consoles needing them! (Saturn, Jaguar, Dreamcast, and 3DO) But since I hardly play the Dreamcast I likely can just pop that to the regular composite port.

Do you live in the US????I live in France but maybe I could sell you one of this box to switch between s-video sources. It's a great one..looking very used but worked. I used to have a bunch of s-video-plugged system. So let me know!Although I am sure you can find one in no time.

My good cable was from a radioshack brand. It looked better than composite but again....it is so thin, one notices only by tests and going back and forth. I am sure I could be fooled if you say it's svideo while it is composite.

In Europe we have the RGB standard....now that's great!!!!

As I suggested previously, for best results try RGB mod with OSSC. I've finished testing my new RGB design which works on all 3DO revisions (except FZ-10 with Anvil encoder) check it out here https://assemblergames.com/threads/3do-rgb-mod-3do-adventures-part-3.67513/#post-962055

The OSSC is about £150 ready made and will output 480p or 720p over HDMI.

As I suggested previously, for best results try RGB mod with OSSC. I've finished testing my new RGB design which works on all 3DO revisions (except FZ-10 with Anvil encoder) check it out here https://assemblergames.com/threads/3do-rgb-mod-3do-adventures-part-3.67513/#post-962055

The OSSC is about £150 ready made and will output 480p or 720p over HDMI.

Wow that's a lot of soldering in the picture in that link! Very intense!

I retried again last night swapping my 3DO yellow video cable out back and forth with an svideo and I personally saw no difference myself. Either way the 3DO graphics are very pixilated anyways for the time frame so that wouldn't really help that. But I love the nostalgia of playing those bad looking games! I played through and beat Burning Soldier last night (my right thumb was dead afterwards from mashing the fire button on all the bosses) and I was totally fine with the nasty graphics. I like the nasty jaggy graphics of the Saturn as well.

Wow that's a lot of soldering in the picture in that link! Very intense!

I retried again last night swapping my 3DO yellow video cable out back and forth with an svideo and I personally saw no difference myself. Either way the 3DO graphics are very pixilated anyways for the time frame so that wouldn't really help that. But I love the nostalgia of playing those bad looking games! I played through and beat Burning Soldier last night (my right thumb was dead afterwards from mashing the fire button on all the bosses) and I was totally fine with the nasty graphics. I like the nasty jaggy graphics of the Saturn as well.

Told you it was good! It's short, but that's all right.

I know that, but it's been 2-3 days since I suggested the game and you said you'd play it.

oh yeah haha I get so off topic on things! Yeah Burning Soldier was pretty sweet and was fairly short, tho it did take me a few times of dying to restart the levels with a fresh ship to get through it. Also found out if you play on EASY mode when you get to the end of Level 11 it will restart the damn game over and you have to do it on at least NORMAL mode for it to go beyond that point. So after all that work I had to replay levels 1-11 again on normal to make it to level 12 and up.