IGNORED

Best GDOS Replacement for a Real TT

I've got my TT set up and I'm configuring it for general desktop use. I am trying to decide between Speedo GDOS 5.0C or NVDI 5. I will be working in AtariWorks and Kandinsky and printing to PDF. As a side note, I am also looking for Speedo GDOS 5.7; in case anyone wants to point me in the right direction.

Advice?

I've got my TT set up and I'm configuring it for general desktop use. I am trying to decide between Speedo GDOS 5.0C or NVDI 5. I will be working in AtariWorks and Kandinsky and printing to PDF. As a side note, I am also looking for Speedo GDOS 5.7; in case anyone wants to point me in the right direction.

Advice?

Here is Speedo 5.7.

SPEEDO57.ZIP

On page 16 of the manual here http://dev-docs.atariforge.org/files/NVDI_v5.pdf it says the GDOS option in the control panel turns GDOS on and off.

I don't think you need to switch off the GEMDOS text as that is only bitmapped text and gives you a good speed increase.

Edited by TheNameOfTheGame

Yeah, the info on that site was key. I've managed to get a really nice-looking 800x600x256 mode and I'm happy there. I'd like to get a 1024x768x1 configured at some point, but no biggie.

The real pain in my ass now is that I can't seem to get NVDI 5 and SpeedoGDOS 5.7 to work together. Nightmare. Might just drop back to Speedo 5.0C. It gets me TrueType, but I'm not sure how well it works with Wong's PDF printer.

Which did you install first? Only asking as Speedo and NVDI like putting their vector fonts in different places and which ever one was installed last will overwrite the assign sys of the other. There are also three different Speedo programs in the auto folder on the install disk iirc, some are limited in types of fonts I seem to remember..

I installed NVDI first. Then I turned GDOS off in the "Compatibility" CPX. Then I installed SpeedoGDOS 5.7. On reboot, Speedo loads and gives me "no fonts found" message and "hit any key". When I hit a key, nothing happens.

If someone could zip up a good install that has the two combined, I could use it as an example.

Edited by pixelmischief

I've never used both together I'm afraid, it sounds like something in assign sys is not right, either a path is wrong or something. I believe the way you had to organise things in Speedo's fonts folder was also slightly different to NVDI.. I might be recalling wrong, but I think Speedo liked all the files in the same font directory, whereas NVDI can have them in sub-folders, so you can organise by font.

Have you got a working Speedo without NVDI at all? Perhaps install Speedo first, then make sure the assign.sys and anything else NVDI will overwrite are back up. When NVDI has installed, deactivate GDOS in the CPX, and copy the original assign sys etc back.

Edited by Zogging Hell

I've burned too many hours now trying to get NVDI 5.01 to work with SpeedoGDOS 5.7. The closest I can get is to load Speedo before NVDI. But even with GDOS disabled in NVDI, applications report no GDOS support. Now I am looking for SpeedoGDOS 5.0C. Everywhere I look, I find 5.0B. Any help here would be kind.

I've burned too many hours now trying to get NVDI 5.01 to work with SpeedoGDOS 5.7. The closest I can get is to load Speedo before NVDI. But even with GDOS disabled in NVDI, applications report no GDOS support. Now I am looking for SpeedoGDOS 5.0C. Everywhere I look, I find 5.0B. Any help here would be kind.

Well it's in French, but http://christophe.bray.free.fr/informatique/falcon/archives/atari_falcon_bureau.htm

Maybe use NVDI 4 with Speedo? The speed should be the same for the VDI. The manual for v5 says not to use with other GDOS programs.

Maybe use NVDI 4 with Speedo? The speed should be the same for the VDI. The manual for v5 says not to use with other GDOS programs.

Actually, I've come up with a configuration that meets my requirements.

Requirements:

- TTF Font Support

- Pathway to Modern Printing

- AtariWorks, Kandinsky, and Pure C Compatible

Configuration:

- NVDI 5.03

- LaserJet III Driver Printing to File

- PRN file moved to PC, Processed with PCLtoPDF, and Printed

This has the added bonus of allowing me the best video available to me via LCD monitor using the Matrix CoCo at 800x600x256.

I am very happy. Thank you for all the help. This community never ceases to impress me with its openness and charity.

• 5 years later...