IGNORED

7800 and CC65? How?

Fabrizio Caruso

What I understand of the built-in libraries of CC65 (which is not a lot, I use CA65 all the time but CC65 very rarely), they are more for cross-platform I/O. If you're going platform-specific, you can just ditch it all entirely and be just fine. I think you just have to make your own linker config, beyond that it's ready for whatever code you want. Though I haven't looked at newer versions, in the past it was the same with NES.. it supported it as a target platform, but no one actually used the built-in NES libraries because they were broken (were OK on inaccurate emulators, but not on the hardware).

I could point you to some NES-related resources if that would help as an example, you can just just throw away the I/O routines or your replace them with your own.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

It would be cool to have whatever was used in rfk7800 also in the latest CC65 proper.

I understand that what we need is at least a good linker configuration, some start-up code and post-processing to get the rom image in some usable format.

I'm not really all that familiar with cc65, but I believe the source tarball of RFK has the linker config, start-up code, and instructions on where to get the utility to sign the roms.

You can also get the latest version of the cart signature utility, and a utility to generate emulator-friendly A78 files, from the 7800AsmDevKit. Just bear in mind that the signature utility is a bit different than the old version the RFK build scripts expect.