IGNORED

Altirra - Toggle BASIC w/ keyboard shortcut

telengard

I have Altirra running on a settop box and I haven't been able to figure out how to toggle the BASIC cart usage for the XL series other than the menu. I'd like to change the current option with a keyboard shortcut. I thought a long time ago an earlier version was able to do this. Enabling the Internal BASIC menu option and holding down F4 (Option) at boot doesn't seem to work as well.

Is this possible?

If you turn off the "Fast Boot" option in Acceleration, you can use F4 as Option to disable Basic on coldstart.

For what it's worth, you could disable Basic permanently and just insert it as a cartridge when you want it - though that option won't allow banking in the Ram underneath.

If you turn off the "Fast Boot" option in Acceleration, you can use F4 as Option to disable Basic on coldstart.

For what it's worth, you could disable Basic permanently and just insert it as a cartridge when you want it - though that option won't allow banking in the Ram underneath.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Hmm, I have Fast Boot disabled and F4 does not seem to work when I have "Internal Basic (Boot without Option Key)" enabled. This is after doing a Cold Reset. When holding F4 down I also don't see the Option show up to the right as it does with that menu option disabled.

Edited by telengard

The on-screen Option indicator only shows up when the emulator is holding the key down, not when the user does so. It's difficult to do this manually since the OS checks this button early in startup -- on a real computer you'd hold Option while turning the computer on.

You can bind any menu command to a keyboard shortcut via Tools > Keyboard Shortcuts.

• Like 1

Nice... didn't know about the custom keys. All I had to do was as Avery suggested. Then type "bas" into the Quick Search of the dialog, select "System.ToggleBASIC". Then put the cursor in the text box and type CTRL-ALT-B to bind that as the toggle command. The status then gets reflected in the window title.

• Like 1

The on-screen Option indicator only shows up when the emulator is holding the key down, not when the user does so. It's difficult to do this manually since the OS checks this button early in startup -- on a real computer you'd hold Option while turning the computer on.

You can bind any menu command to a keyboard shortcut via Tools > Keyboard Shortcuts.

That will work well and I'll keep trying the F4 press as well.

thanks!

Cool! More and more people are doing this. What are the basic specs and motherboard size you're using?

Yeah, it works pretty well! I've had a settop running for quite a while (seems to be around 2005 or so) and a few years ago upgraded the HW. I had previously been running an ASUS Mac-Mini ripoff on XP, and now I'm running an Acer RL80-URL-23 (which seems to be now discontinued) on Windows 8. I think I was running Atari800Win++ as well on that older rig. Everything I use it for runs fine with no issues.

I wrote my own frontend using pygame (available here) which, along with Joy2Key, makes it a lot easier to drive from the couch etc, and I have maybe 15 or so emulators setup from stella, gens32, altirra, and mame, etc. I had been using a wireless xbox 360 controller with a modified driver for easier use on the settop box, but I decided after a while I really like using the original controls and now use things like the 2600-dapter II with long USB cables. I also run the same software in my basement to a large CRT and also run on a GpdWin so it's consistent on all the devices I retro game on.

I really wanted to switch over to something like MiST or MiSTer, but the emulators are just too convenient as well as the USB adapters, maybe someday I'll switch. I have a Pi3 as well, but I don't really use that at all.

Edited by telengard