IGNORED

New tiny project: KEYCON keyboard adapter for XL/XE

tf_hh

Can someone please post a link to the right size buttons on a web site that is in English?

Or explain what size I need so I can look for them myself?

Thanks!

It's mentioned several times which buttons of which size are needed earlier in this thread and also some links were posted.

Just scroll back a bit....:)

Not sure why BREAK was selected as one of the buttons by Jürgen but with the U1MB and the built-in tests I thought HELP would be a more useful key to have on this board....

I´ve explained this in the first post of this thread (I think so :) )

First, I wanted only make an adapter board for the connector types. Then I´m remember, that a lot of tools for diagnostic need only the function keys to operate. Over 95% of all features in the CPS Super / Standard SALT diagnostic carts are controlled by OPTION, SELECT and START. Sys-Check also needs only this. And a lot more. That´s the reason why I add BREAK, because you need it to enter the main menu using CPS SALT software.

In my first thougts I would add HELP also, but... for what? You can enter the U1MB menu for example, but you need also standard keys to operate the BIOS. The few extras keys on KEYCON enables to operate CPS Super SALT without the need to connect a real keyboard until you will do some special single tests.

Of course ESC would also be a good idea, but I want keys at an useful size for adult fingers :grin:, so no more space was availible.

Jurgen

• Like 2

Can someone please post a link to the right size buttons on a web site that is in English?

Or explain what size I need so I can look for them myself?

Thanks!

Use standard tactile pushbuttons with 6 x 6 mm and four pins. The height vary on the height of the actuator.

A good international source (for U.S. residents and all other) is Mouser. Search for "OMRON B3F", then you will find a lot of suitable pushbuttons in different heights and colors.

Jurgen

• Like 1

Aha thanks for explaining that and I'm ashamed that I missed it earlier on....

I regretfully don't have SALt or any other diagnostic cartridge....so I'm stuck with the internal test.

Oh and.....You obviously never tried a joystick in the U1MB set-up screens :) :) :)

(Well at least with Jon's brilliant version of the firmware)

Edited by Level42

• 2 weeks later...

The colored switches arrived today so i added the XE ones and changed out the dull black ones for the XL.

I'm pretty sure the colors will become second nature very quickly.....at least the picture with the black buttons clearly show that the colors do help in quickly recognizing them.

Not too keen about the height difference between the colors but o well....can't have everything....

Still have loads of switches spare....

post-25272-0-04074000-1509641744_thumb.jpg

post-25272-0-62694700-1509641757_thumb.jpg

Edited by Level42
  • Like 5

• 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2022 at 2:51 AM, tf_hh said:

The current V2 version of KEYCON is only slightly modified. It´s about 1cm shorter to fit better (one additional row is removed) and two LEDs 3mm (one for XL, one for XE) can be used as a power on indicator.

I assembled my KEYCON v2 the other day.

KEYCON.jpg

• Like 3