IGNORED

Atari JagDuo PCB discovered!

Clint Thompson

I could be wrong on this since it was back in 2003 when I had one of the Jag Duo mockups in my hand. But the overall case was actually smaller in diameter than an actual Jag. So if the Duo PCB is wider, I have to assume the prototype duo mockup case wasn't a final design since being smaller, this PCB wouldn't have fit inside it.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 2:34 AM, Clint Thompson said:

Sadly, actually. For nostalgic sake it's kind of cool but definitely not fun to use and wish it upon no one. I've since painstakingly updated the BOM so it's easier to deal with in modern day form. Have already ordered the bulk of the major components and ICs. Next round is to order all the mundane but clearly very important resistor, capacitor and crystal stuff...

duobom.thumb.jpg.8c288162c531884128cb52257483b7fc.jpg

datasheets2.thumb.png.b1f4568566f34aa39297aa98b9de3f7e.png

As long as the PCB fits the case drawings as intended then yes, definitely want to keep everything as close to the original prototype design as possible.

Some of the parts have started arriving. I was going to completely drop the RF altogether since it likely serves no purpose but they were surprisingly easy to find. So to stay true to the original design, I figured why not:

duoparts.thumb.jpg.2e1106c56067a3487ff0494ab2ccd6ee.jpg

Have you thought about vacuum molding to . I wonder who  owns proto case

• Like 1

If this has already been asked? Apologies. But will this use the same "guts" as the current Jaguar or will it use different processors? Will the bugs that affected the current Jaguar be remedied? Just curious. 

Either way. If this does get made? I want one! Original CD systems are too cost prohibitive for me.

Good luck! ??

On 10/7/2019 at 12:54 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

I could be wrong on this since it was back in 2003 when I had one of the Jag Duo mockups in my hand. But the overall case was actually smaller in diameter than an actual Jag. So if the Duo PCB is wider, I have to assume the prototype duo mockup case wasn't a final design since being smaller, this PCB wouldn't have fit inside it.

The prototype PCB itself could be larger than the case and one or the other might need to be modified slightly in the end but it does appear to line up perfectly with the side and rear from a layout standpoint. Since I don't have the case in hand or the exact dimensions, I'm unable to verify. Hoping to have the case design files and/or schematic drawings soon, its just been a waiting game.

Priority is still to have a single board built and proven to work before the rest is of any concern. The major components have mostly all trickled in now. Carefully going through and sourcing 100+ different parts has been very time consuming, especially since quite a few are obsolete and updated alternatives were required.

On 10/7/2019 at 5:56 PM, Kalani said:

Have you thought about vacuum molding to . I wonder who  owns proto case

Yes, definitely an option. This is how the prototype headsets were created for the Jaguar VR.

On 10/13/2019 at 10:23 AM, VintageGamer74 said:

If this has already been asked? Apologies. But will this use the same "guts" as the current Jaguar or will it use different processors? Will the bugs that affected the current Jaguar be remedied? Just curious. 

Either way. If this does get made? I want one! Original CD systems are too cost prohibitive for me.

Good luck! ??

When Atari moved from Toshiba to Motorola, they did not bother fixing the bugs you're referring to in their chipset that affect current Jaguars, although they could have. I'm guessing to remain completely compatible across the board and to prevent a recall on any older units, they decided to not update them. That is just speculation though.

These will use new old stock 2nd revision Motorola chips.

Edited by Clint Thompson
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Clint Thompson said:

The prototype PCB itself could be larger than the case and one or the other might need to be modified slightly in the end but it does appear to line up perfectly with the side and rear from a layout standpoint. Since I don't have the case in hand or the exact dimensions, I'm unable to verify. Hoping to have the case design files and/or schematic drawings soon, its just been a waiting game.

I stand corrected. Although there isn't a link to it from the site, I was able to locate AA's old gallery from my first OKGE I organized and hosted back in 2003. That was when the Jag Duo was shown in public. And I found a pic of it in the curio cabinet it was locked in along with other cool stuff. It is clearly wider than a normal jag as can be seen from the comparison with the other console shells in that case plus compared to the size of the controller port openings.

Jag DUO Mock-up case at 2003 OKGE

22 minutes ago, PeterG said:

Sad it just disappeared, now that finally someone would do something with it aside from looking at it. Hope it resurfaces...

Tim is out there, he just seems to refuse to communicate for whatever reason. Possibly doesn't even own it anymore but if not, then no idea who does. The mechanical drawings will do just as well since it'll have the measurements.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/19/2020 at 11:07 PM, joeatari1 said:

Hey @Clint Thompson, have you had any progress on this lately?  Just curious as it's been a few months.  Plus I'm saving up for one.?

20 hours ago, VintageGamer74 said:

Clint, was wondering if there were any updates? Due to health issues I have had to sell a lot of my collection including my Jaguar. Hopefully this will be made so I can purchase this to replace my original unit.

Sorry to hear that ?

Ok, so quick update:

I was on a solid roll last year but things slowed down a lot over the holidays as family and work projects took priority. Outside of that, I had decided to play the waiting game on quite of a few things into the new year hoping something substantial would surface and while it mostly resulted in no beneficial outcome, it helped answer some underlying questions.

Was pushing hard to get an actual physical prototype of the Duo Casing with working electronics and 3D files (mostly due to possible design differences in what I have and what could have been, I'll touch base more on that some other time). Ira's wife was kind enough to put me in direct contact with several others including the manufacturing plant in Malaysia, sadly the only thing to come from several months of it all was some Panther renderings and class project slides that Ira had in his studio archive. While no specifics were given from the current owner, I was told they tossed a lot of stuff during a downsizing move way back in 2000. Kind of sad and unfortunate to learn but also helps add closure to that being a possibility. The guy spent quite a bit of time going through their storage unit in trying to help uncover something useful for me but only found scraps to unrelated things. I'm very appreciative of his time and efforts though.

The Malaysia plant unfortunately didn't have any data to provide in regards to number of prototype units created and naturally as a result of some 25-years passing, none of the original employees assigned to the project during that time period remains at the factory to help answer any additional questions. Kind of figured that much going into it though given the time that has passed.

So in short, progress has mostly been stagnant on the main front but will pick up again here in coming months. I've got a laundry list of other things I'm dabbling in currently (this includes actually playing games for once). With that said, progress is still happening in the background (currently direction has progressed with the casing as a result) and I'll update again when I have something worthwhile to add. Was hoping to have had a working prototype to show by now (or a non-functional built board even), but there's still a few things that need to be worked out in regards to some obsolete components that will require having someone else taking a look at to figure a workaround for. They're minor things in the grand scheme of it all but still essential for operation. Some of these component companies have shifted hands so many times that it's incredibly time consuming and difficult to track everything down or even get a response for some of the things I need.

• Like 12

Thank you for the update Clint.  Sad that a prototype like this may have been just thrown away.  Good luck sourcing the components and with the rest of the project.  I look forward to seeing you finish it.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
17 hours ago, Phill.T said:

I don't suppose this project is still "in progress"?... 

Suspended indefinitely for a multitude of reasons I'd rather not dive into right now, if ever.. (including the passing of our friend Curt Vendel and the wreckage of 2020 as a whole), you would assume correctly.

• Sad 7

21 hours ago, Clint Thompson said:

Suspended indefinitely for a multitude of reasons I'd rather not dive into right now, if ever.. (including the passing of our friend Curt Vendel and the wreckage of 2020 as a whole), you would assume correctly.

Thank you for the update, I hope 2021 is a better year.  

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 1/18/2021 at 7:36 AM, Clint Thompson said:

Hiya, I know it's been like 3 years, but I have been deep diving into this stuff recently and was interested to see if you still had any of the Duo stuff/if there is any chance of this ever coming back, as I know a lot of people would love it.

• Like 2