IGNORED

Wii Shop Channel will be shut down in 2019

boog

(fdurso posted a status update about this, but I figured that it deserved its own thread)

Nintendo has announced that the Wii Shop Channel will be shutting down in 2019. You won't be able to add points after March 26, 2018 and won't be able to make purchases after January 31, 2019.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nintendo-close-wii-shop-channel-192400032.html

I understand phasing out new purchases, but the more troublesome part of the press release is that you won't be able to re-download purchases once they close the shop completely sometime in 2019.

It'll be the largest digital gaming ecosystem to disappear so far... and a stern reminder that you don't actually own your digital purchases.

• Like 3

Everyone knows digital downloads don't have a long lifespan. It's not a big deal. You can likely transfer or repurchase the same stuff for a more current system.

Well, you can't transfer it. Maybe someday you will be able to, but you're relying on Nintendo's goodwill because they've given no indication that they'll let you do that.

You can repurchase it in some other format, sure. But anyone could have done that before, so why didn't we? I guess it's because we didn't want to waste money.

It's no less a waste of money in a couple years.

I don't buy digital downloads on consoles for this reason. I do buy them on PC, because the PC's not going anywhere.

Well, you can't transfer it. Maybe someday you will be able to, but you're relying on Nintendo's goodwill because they've given no indication that they'll let you do that.

Didn't they say that it could be repurchased/transfered to the WiiU?

"You'll still be able to redownload WiiWare and Virtual Console software that you've already bought, but Nintendo noted in its press release that this won't be possible once they completely shut down the Wii Shop channel at an undisclosed date in 2019 -- so buy, redownload and transfer your software from Wii to Wii U before then."

Or does shutting down the Wii Shop affect WiiU too? I don't know. I'm not a Wii user. So I could be mistaken entirely.

---

In the PC ecosphere, I've always ALWAYS been able to get an updated version for use on the latest and greatest i9 processors and motherboards. If not, there is virtualization. And failing that there is old hardware and emulation. Forward and backward compatibility. And simple migration to next year's hardware. Many methods. Many options. And I'm not bragging or flaunting superiority. It's always been this way. Ohh sure there's some games and servers that are shut-down too. But that's expected in the digital download sphere. The key trick to simply not buy stuff that 100% requires online services and servers.

I've always been able to back things up, like my original Doom floppies and games even 10 years younger than that. Though I didn't get into the PC arena in earnest till the beginning 1990's.

I also believe PC hardware more robust than consoles over the long haul. 20, 30, 40 years later.. Like the VCS. But better! Probably because of the industrial nature of the early systems. But the shit they've been making for the past 5 years, look at it wrong and breaks.

Heh, I still have my ProComm+ stuff - which is ridiculously nostalgic to me for some reason. Same deal with PaintShop Pro 32. Almost 30 years old and still useful! So yeh.

---

I'm still not done ranting. Engadget calls the Wii-mini's lack of online connectivity a limitation. A hard limit not to notice.

https://www.engadget.com/2012/12/06/nintendo-wii-mini-hands-on/

..let me tell you guy something.. They got it all wrong!

Online services are more of a limitation than an asset. These services are tedious, full of exceptions and clauses. They seem more concerned with making the whole experience (now and in the future) the equivalent to passing the Bar exam.

But, hurray for the mini! No internet connection needed!

Edited by Keatah

Gotta say this for the VC.... it's by far the cheapest way to get some of those games, especially Neo-Geo, TG-16, and import titles. And if you have a Wii U, you get to play them on HDMI.

I'm gonna have to grab up some of the real gems before everything shuts down.

Thanks, Nintendo. You just gave me a really good reason to hack my Wii. I tried to have some restraint up to this point, but I suppose now is the time.

I highly doubt keeping a minimal amount of those servers running was costing them much at all.

I am probably the rare example, but I just dropped $20 on Virtual Console games at my parents' place a few weeks ago. You know, for when I'm stuck over there for some reason or another and want access to some retro games. Hell, maybe I'll hack their system too. It's not like they will know the difference.

• Like 5

13 years is a pretty good run. I transferred my Wii store purchases to my Wii U about 5 years ago and havent bought anything new on there since then. So long as everything still works and nothing is taken away except the ability to buy things, Im OK worth this. I assume theyll replace it with something better on Switch.

Most of what I bought was emulated games, which I can always play elsewhere in a pinch. The Wii itself is emulated decently on my PC, too. Having purchased all that stuff buys me moral justification for doing that. I dont feel the need to own it on spinning plastic.

Its the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine.

• Like 2

This is the exact reason I will not by the Switch. How do I know how long it would be supported? That isn't even 10 years, barely even 7 and they are dropping the Shop Channel. Look at when the 360 came out, and I can still make purchases on it and download games I have already purchased. So if something happens to my external hard drive hooked to my daughters Wii U I guess after that date we will be SOL so I guess I'll have to back it all up before that date hits, and that is if we are even concerned about it by that point she plays Xbox more anyway.

Edited by SignGuy81

This is why I buy things physical. These things won't exist forever. If you get a new system/storage space after they shut down, you're screwed, and you wasted money.

I believe nothing on the Wii Shop channel was available on physical media, likewise nothing available physically could be bought digitally on the Wii-- the physical games and digital games were two separate libraries of games essentially.

• Like 2

I believe nothing on the Wii Shop channel was available on physical media, likewise nothing available physically could be bought digitally on the Wii-- the physical games and digital games were two separate libraries of games essentially.

With possible one-off exceptions, you are correct.

Your choice for a lot of these games are to buy them for super-cheap on download, or very expensive vintage physical media. That's really what it boils down to.

Unless you hack and pirate, in which case you're probably not reading this thread with any great interest.

• 2 months later...

I don't think anything has been announced about the closure of the VC for the Wii U. Heck... there has been slow release of TG16 games this year.

The Wii U VC is separate from the Wii VC. If you bought a game for the Wii VC, there is a discount for the Wii U version (useful when the Wii U was new). I think playing on the gamepad is only available for the Wii U version of the game; the selection of SNES games on the Wii U side is small.

As for hacking, I believe the HB channel can be added to the Wii side of the WII U, but I have not tried that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I made a list a while back of all the Wii Virtual Console titles that aren't available on the Wii U eShop, and thought I'd post it here.

-Games in bold are those available on other modern platforms of the past two generations.

-Games are that are underlined are releases that were once available on the Wii Virtual Console, but have since been delisted from the Wii Shop.

NES:

• A Boy and His Blob: Trouble on Blobolonia
  • Adventures of Lolo 2
  • Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa
  • Blades of Steel
  • Bubble Bobble (NES Classic)
  • BurgerTime
  • Double Dribble
  • Elevator Action
  • Faxanadu
  • Final Fantasy (NES Classic)
  • King's Knight
  • Lunar Pool
  • Milon's Secret Castle (3DS)
  • NES Play Action Football
  • Operation Wolf
  • Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
  • The Legend of Kage
  • Yoshi's Cookie
  • Zanac (PS3; PSP; Vita; PSTV)

SNES

• ActRaiser
  • Aero the Acro-Bat
  • Aero the Acro-Bat 2
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Darius Twin
  • DoReMi Fantasy: Milon's DokiDoki Adventure
  • Final Fantasy II
  • Final Fantasy III (SNES Classic)
  • Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
  • Ghoul Patrol
  • Gradius III
  • Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures
  • Kirby's Avalanche
  • Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen
  • Prince of Persia
  • R-Type III: The Third Lightning
  • Secret of Mana (SNES Classic)
  • SimCity
  • Space Invaders: The Original Game
  • Super Adventure Island
  • Super Adventure Island II
  • Super Bonk
  • Super R-Type
  • Super Star Wars (PS4; Vita; PSTV)
  • Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
  • Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
  • Super Turrican
  • Super Turrican 2
  • The Combatribes
  • Zombies Ate My Neighbors

N64:

• Bomberman Hero
  • Cruis'n USA
  • Pokémon Puzzle League
  • Super Smash Bros.

Sega Master System:

• Alex Kidd in Miracle World (360; PS3; XB1)
  • Alex Kidd in Shinobi World
  • Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars
  • Enduro Racer
  • Fantasy Zone (PS3; 3DS)
  • Fantasy Zone II: The Tears of Opa-Opa (PS3; 3DS)
  • Phantasy Star (360; PS3)
  • R-Type
  • Secret Command
  • Sonic Chaos
  • Sonic the Hedgehog (3DS: Game Gear conversion of SMS original)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (3DS: Game Gear conversion of SMS original)
  • Space Harrier (PS3)
  • Wonder Boy
  • Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap (PS4; XB1; Switch: Original mode runs in 16:9)
  • Wonder Boy in Monster Land

Genesis:

• Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle (PSP; Vita; PS3; 360)
  • Alien Soldier (PS3)
  • Alien Storm (PS3; 360)
  • Altered Beast (PSP; Vita; PS3; 360; 3DS)
  • Beyond Oasis (PS3; 360)
  • Bio-Hazard Battle
  • Bonanza Bros. (PSP; Vita; PS3; 360)
  • Boogerman: A Pick and Flick Adventure
  • ClayFighter
  • Columns (PSP; Vita; PS3; 360; 3DS)
  • Columns III: Revenge of Columns
  • Comix Zone (PSP; Vita; PS3; 360; XB1)
  • Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (PS3; 360)
  • Dynamite Headdy (PS3; 360)
  • Earthworm Jim
  • Earthworm Jim 2
  • Ecco Jr. (PSP; Vita)
  • Ecco the Dolphin (PSP; Vita; PS3; 360; 3DS)
  • Ecco: The Tides of Time (PSP; Vita; PS3; 360)
  • Eternal Champions
  • Forgotten Worlds
  • Gain Ground (PSP; Vita; PS3; 360)
  • Galaxy Force II (PS3)
  • Ghouls 'n Ghosts
  • Gley Lancer
  • Golden Axe (PSP; Vita; PS3; 360)
  • Golden Axe II (PSP; Vita; PS3; 360; XB1)
  • Golden Axe III (PSP; Vita; PS3; 360; XB1)
  • Gunstar Heroes (PS3; 360; 3DS; XB1)
  • Kid Chameleon (PSP; Vita; PS3; 360)
  • Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole
  • Light Crusader
  • M.U.S.H.A.
  • Mega Turrican
  • Mercs
  • Monster World IV (360; PS3; XB1)
  • Phantasy Star II (PSP; Vita; PS3; 360; XB1)
  • Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom (PSP; Vita; PS3; 360)
  • Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium (PSP; Vita; PS3; 360)
  • Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium (PSP; Vita; PS3; 360)
  • Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure
  • Powerball
  • Pulseman
  • Puyo Puyo 2
  • Ristar (PSP; Vita; PS3; 360)
  • Rolling Thunder 2
  • Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi (PSP; Vita)
  • Shanghai II: Dragon's Eye
  • Shining Force (PS3; 360)
  • Shining Force II: Ancient Sealing (PS3; 360)
  • Shining in the Darkness (PS3; 360)
  • Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master (PSP; Vita; PS3; 360; 3DS)
  • Sonic & Knuckles (PS3; 360; XB1; DS)
  • Sonic 3D Blast (PS3; 360)
  • Sonic Spinball (PS3; 360)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog (PSP; Vita; PS3; 360; 3DS; XB1; DS)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (PSP; Vita; PS3; 360; 3DS; XB1; DS)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (PS3; 360; DS)
  • Space Harrier II (PS3)
  • Splatterhouse 2 (PS3; 360)
  • Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition
  • Streets of Rage (PS3; 360; 3DS; XB1)
  • Streets of Rage 2 (PS3; 360; 3DS; XB1)
  • Streets of Rage 3 (PS3; 360; XB1)
  • Strider
  • Super Fantasy Zone (PS3)
  • Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
  • Super Thunder Blade (PSP; Vita; PS3; 360)
  • Sword of Vermilion (PSP; Vita)
  • The Revenge of Shinobi (PS3; 360; XB1)
  • ToeJam & Earl (360; XB1; PS3)
  • ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron (360; XB1; PS3)
  • Vectorman (PSP; Vita; PS3; 360)
  • Virtua Fighter 2 (PSP; Vita)
  • Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
  • Wonder Boy in Monster World (360; PS3; XB1)

TG16:

• Bloody Wolf
  • Bravoman
  • Chase H.Q.
  • Cratermaze
  • Dead Moon
  • Dragon Spirit
  • Dragon's Curse
  • Drop Off
  • Galaga '90 (PS3)
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Military Madness
  • Ordyne
  • Psychosis
  • Samurai Ghost
  • Silent Debuggers
  • Splatterhouse (PS3)
  • Street Fighter II: Champion Edition
  • World Class Baseball

TG16 CD:

• Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PSP; Vita)
  • Cho Aniki
  • The Dynastic Hero
  • Fighting Street
  • Gate of Thunder (PS3)
  • Gradius II: Gofer no Yabou (PS3)
  • Monster Lair
  • Riot Zone
  • SimEarth: The Living Planet
  • Star Parodier
  • Super Air Zonk: Rockabilly-Paradise
  • Ys Book I & II (PS3; Japanese PS Store, so not import friendly)

Neo Geo:

• Ironclad
  • Sengoku 3
  • The Last Blade 2

Virtual Console Arcade:

• 1942 (PS3; 360; XB1; PSP; Vita; PSTV)
  • Altered Beast (PS3; 360; XB1)
  • Black Tiger (PS3; 360; XB1; PSP; Vita; PSTV)
  • Commando (PS3; 360; XB1; PSP; Vita; PSTV)
  • Exed Exes (PS3; 360; XB1; PSP; Vita; PSTV)
  • Gaplus (Wii; PS3; PSP; Vita; PSTV)
  • Ghosts 'n Goblins (PS3; 360; XB1; PSP; Vita; PSTV)
  • Golden Axe (PS3; 360; XB1)
  • Mappy (Wii; PS3; PSP; Vita; PSTV; 360; DS)
  • Ninja Gaiden (XB1)
  • Rygar (PS4)
  • Shinobi (360; XB1)
  • Solomon's Key (PS4)
  • SonSon (PS3; 360; XB1; PSP; Vita; PSTV)
  • Space Harrier (PS3; 360; PS4)
  • Star Force (PS4)
  • Super Hang-On (PS3; 360; XB1; PS4)
  • Tecmo Bowl
  • The Tower of Druaga (PS3; PSP; Vita; PSTV; DS; 360; Switch)
  • Wonder Boy in Monster Land (PS3; 360; XB1; Announced for PS4)
  • Zaxxon (PS3; 360)

I left off the now delisted Commodore 64 lineup. And for the sake of brevity, I left off those Neo Geo games that have been released via the Arcade Archives lineup since the vast bulk of it is available on current gen platforms and remains widely accessible despite the upcoming demise of the Wii Shop.

My list of alternative platforms isn't definitive, since out of lack of familiarity and to simplify it, I've ignored non-dedicated gaming platforms, backwards compatibility with media older than two generations, and plug and plays other than Nintendo's own. I do include things like PS1 downloads off the Playstation Store, and imports when easily accessible on North American hardware.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

The number of SNES games that were brought over to the Wii U eshop was pretty small, though that list there contains a lot of 3rd party titles. They didn't do the Genesis justice either. Maybe they didn't bother with the rights given that the Wii U did not sell very well.

There was a steady trickle of TG16 games last year even well after the Switch was on the market. Since the emulation was already done for the Japanese market, releasing them here probably earned them a few bucks. That (the release of TG16 games) seems to have stopped.

I am willing to bet that the shutdown of the WII U eshop will be announced this year, and it will probably be by the end of the year The Wii eshop lasted a very long time... probably due to the fact that so many consoles were sold. Of course, maybe it will hang around longer than that if it runs from the same servers and backbone that the 3DS shop runs from.

I am willing to bet that the shutdown of the WII U eshop will be announced this year, and it will probably be by the end of the year The Wii eshop lasted a very long time... probably due to the fact that so many consoles were sold. Of course, maybe it will hang around longer than that if it runs from the same servers and backbone that the 3DS shop runs from.

I'd bet it was more so due to that functionality being a requirement to play those games on the Wii U through the Wii mode. It wouldn't have been very consumer-friendly to shut it down when the Wii U was still Nintendo's current platform.

I don't think we'll lose the eShop anytime soon, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see server support start being pulled over the next 12-18 months for Wii U games like Mario Kart 8.

I hope it sticks around. There's more I'd like to acquire, but I can't afford to spring for every last download I want on older hardware just because it might disappear next week. Has to be a more gradual process.

Heck, I just finally called it quits with the Wii Shop with a final round of purchases, despite owning it since it was a year old.

Edited by Atariboy

• 2 months later...

I forgot all about this. So I tried today and I can log in. But I can no longer add points. March 26 I believe. But not even buy from them or add card option. So I can never addany more games? I thought I had super mario world snes. But it says not downloaded. Need 800 points. I dont need a lot. Just one snes game to test some controller options.