Centipede

post-34056-0-72786600-1506800204.png

Settings: STANDARD

Contest Ends Midnight (PST)

October 15th 2017

BONUS: EXPERT

Play on expert setting for Bonus points

Bonus points are 5 points for top score down to 1

( There is a surprise coming for next game so do your best )

Usual rules.

Current Scores

Standard

Jin 208201 +11

Dauber 173241 +10

LidLikesIntellivision 149444 +9

Trebor 112512 +8

oyamafamily 101072 +7

Gorfy 94063 +6

Dr Moocowz 77008 +5

Cousin Vinnie 53562 +4

S.BAZ 47654 +3

Mister-VCS 43295 +2

NIKON 40825 +1

Atarifever 39582 +1

toiletunes 33893 +1

roadrunner 27942 +1

troff 19925 +1

jblenkle 18825 +1

Expert (Bonus)

Jin 118056 +5

Trebor 70171 +4

Dauber 64759 +3

LidLikesIntellivision 46649 +2

oyamafamily 42770 +1

Dr Moocowz 33638 +1

Gorfy 32473 +1

S.BAZ 22998 +1

toiletunes 22847 +1

Mister-VCS 21784 +1

Cousin Vinnie 20303 +1

Atarifever 19359 +1

NIKON 18039 +1

roadrunner 17116 +1

troff 7544 +1

jblenkle 4776 +1

Current Standings:

1. Dr Moocowz 25

2. LidLikesIntellivision 23

2. Trebor 23

2. jin 23

3. Gorfy 22

4. Atarifever 18

5. S.BAZ 16

5. PacManPlus 16

6. toiletunes 15

7. Dauber 14

7. Cousin Vinnie 14

8. oyamafamily 10

9. Mister-VCS 9

10. NIKON 5

11. jblenkle 4

12. troff 3

13. roadrunner 2

13. BydoEmpire 2

Edited by NIKON
  • Like 6

It was really interesting and somewhat disheartening going back and playing Centipede again for two hours last night. Centipede has always been my favorite Atari 7800 game but I hadn't played it at all since I had surgery to have my thyroid gland removed in May. I knew the surgery was going to reduce my reflexes to some degree but I didn't really know how much until I played Centipede again. To give you a frame of reference, my high score on Standard difficulty from last year was 177,295 and on Expert difficulty it was 122,136. After two hours of playing last night the best I could do now was...

Centipede (Standard): 67,375

IhXGjn8.jpg

Centipede (Expert): 22,591

csjzcH0.jpg

I'm gonna keep trying and just do my best to just have fun and enjoy playing my favorite 7800 game, but I am getting the definite impression that I'm not quite what I used to be when it comes to my reflexes and ability to play video games well.

Edited by Jin

Nice controller! Does that hook right up to the Atari console, or does it need some modification?

The Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Arcade Power Stick has the same 9 pin connector as Atari systems and the B button automatically works as the fire button on the 2600 and 8-bit Atari computers. For the 7800 the B button acts as Button 1 and to use Button 2 you need an Edladdin Sega to Atari adapter that makes the C button work as Button 2. :)

• Like 1

The Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Arcade Power Stick has the same 9 pin connector as Atari systems and the B button automatically works as the fire button on the 2600 and 8-bit Atari computers. For the 7800 the B button acts as Button 1 and to use Button 2 you need an Edladdin Sega to Atari adapter that makes the C button work as Button 2. :)

Very nice!! I may look into that, or some other Edladdin set-up next time I have some extra cash.

By the way, sorry about the Twins. If it's any consolation, the Yanks lost to the Indians tonight.

• Like 1

Very nice!! I may look into that, or some other Edladdin set-up next time I have some extra cash.

By the way, sorry about the Twins. If it's any consolation, the Yanks lost to the Indians tonight.

I sure do miss my old Super Twin controller from Ed... oh wait, that wasn't what you were talking about was it? :P In any case, thank you for the kind words and I'd definitely recommend Edladdin's products to anyone serious about playing Atari. His Sega Genesis to Atari adapters work great and his custom built arcade sticks use the best of the best real arcade parts. That Genesis stick I was using tonight is pretty nice for a $20 arcade stick with membrane contacts though, and I think it's a good way to try out using an arcade stick without breaking the bank.

Edited by Jin
  • Like 2

Ahh, I finally accomplished my goal for this round and topped my all time Standard mode high score! At this point I'm satisfied and I think I'm done for this round unless someone manages to beat one of my scores. :)

Centipede (Standard): 208,201

CFZZGhP.jpg

QeTu1bI.jpg

Note to NIKON: I think you may have forgotten to add my +7 points from last week's Moon Cresta round to the current standings.

• Like 1

Ahh, I finally accomplished my goal for this round and topped my all time Standard mode high score! At this point I'm satisfied and I think I'm done for this round unless someone manages to beat one of my scores. :)

Centipede (Standard): 208,201

CFZZGhP.jpg

QeTu1bI.jpg

Note to NIKON: I think you may have forgotten to add my +7 points from last week's Moon Cresta round to the current standings.

Right you were....it has been rectified....sooo sorry about that. On another note.. I used to have the six button version of arcade stick.

Nice to see you JIN. Your evidences are excellent!

Also, nice score. :) ;) ;-)

Thank you Oyama! It's really nice to be back playing again! :) I had to take a break from playing reflex intensive games for 5 months or so after my thyroid surgery in May, but I feel like I'm ready to get back to it at this point. It was a shame that I had to miss the 2600 HSC end of season tournament but at this point I'm just happy to be back playing again.

Right you were....it has been rectified....sooo sorry about that. On another note.. I used to have the six button version of arcade stick.

No worries at all, I hope I didn't sound snarky pointing that out. It was not my intention to offend. And very cool that you used to have the 6 button version of the Genesis stick that I was using (which I actually borrowed from my wife for this round lol). I've never seen the 6 button version anywhere locally but I've been keeping a lookout for the misses since I know she's been wanting one.

Thank you Oyama! It's really nice to be back playing again! :) I had to take a break from playing reflex intensive games for 5 months or so after my thyroid surgery in May, but I feel like I'm ready to get back to it at this point. It was a shame that I had to miss the 2600 HSC end of season tournament but at this point I'm just happy to be back playing again.

No worries at all, I hope I didn't sound snarky pointing that out. It was not my intention to offend. And very cool that you used to have the 6 button version of the Genesis stick that I was using (which I actually borrowed from my wife for this round lol). I've never seen the 6 button version anywhere locally but I've been keeping a lookout for the misses since I know she's been wanting one.

No Offence...I want to be called on what I miss....it is a WHOLE lot easier when done quickly...so no worries...play on...200K in Centipede..whew I am lucky to hit 40K.

No Offence...I want to be called on what I miss....it is a WHOLE lot easier when done quickly...so no worries...play on...200K in Centipede..whew I am lucky to hit 40K.

Thanks for your understanding. :) And don't feel too bad, I've been playing Centipede regularly since I was 6 years old (so 26 years give or take) and it's I think it's probably the game I'm the best at. Either Centipede or Xevious. Just wait and watch me bomb out miserably when Ms. Pac-Man comes around though. :lol: