IGNORED

Interest check -- Intellivision Flashback Overlays

SoulBlazer

So I'm one of the people who ordered a full set of the overlays for the Intellivision controllers from Intellivision Productions when the Flashback came out. I thought I'd use them, but after finally getting my set (complete, no issues with the printing or missing ones) after about six months I found I hardly used it.

I've seen some of these sets go for huge prices on EBay, and since I could use the money I've been giving serious thought to putting mine up for sale. I'd rather they go to someone who'd either use them or wants them in a collection.

I thought about putting them up on EBay for a cent and seeing where the bidding ends at, but thought I'd post here first to see if anyone here is 1) interested and 2) can suggest what a 'fair' price is. I'm not looking to rip anyone off, I just want to sell it for what the going rate is, whatever that is. And I'd rather avoid EBay and the fees on there if I can help it.

Checking EBay, it looks like 3 sets of these recently sold, from $85 to $200! But did people actually pay this? I know if it's in the sold category that means people were SUSPOSED to have paid for it, but it makes me suspicious. If these actually did sell, then it looks like around $100-125 is a fair price.

I'm fully willing to ship overseas as well.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by SoulBlazer
  • Like 1

The $200 sale was mine and yes, the buyer paid. They were shipped and there were no problems.

They sat out there for quite some time at that price, so if you go high, don't expect them to sell quickly.

With the market as it is, $100 - 125 isn't unreasonable to ask although most people here already have them I think. That's why I went the eBay route.

• Like 1

This is one of those rare times where I feel like I should hold on to my "collectible" even though I don't use it much. The overlay set fits nicely into a card case, doesn't take up any space, and makes my Intellivision Flashback significantly more enjoyable. Can't say that about an Atari Jaguar or other bulky hardware thing. Kudos to you for letting it go since you really don't feel like you need it, and for thinking about letting it go for a fair price, too.

Thanks, guys. Im a gamer as opposed to a collector, I do almost all my gaming via emulation and really dont care if I have something digitally. I had no plans organized originally to sell these Overlays cause I thought I would use them. Turns out Im not, and the games that really NEED Overlays were the ones that came with the flashback. I also admit the high price these are getting right now is attractive. Sure, Id like them to go to a better home, but I could use this money for a better purpose.

So based on what Im seeing on EBay I think $125 is fair price though Im open to haggling. Ive put this in the marketplace and Ill give it a while to see if I get any bites before going to EBay.

I've said this before, but if one were to buy used overlays on eBay you'd pay at least $2-4 per pair. For a brand new set of 60 @ $120, that's $2 per set. Not at all unreasonable. That's why I bought multiple sets when they originally came out. Sooo cheap.

Some of you guys might have stacks of loose Mattel overlays. You should put a set of 50+ pairs together and see if it sells on ebay. I've seen sets like that go unsold.

Just one quick note: a complete supplemental flashback overlays set comes with 52 pairs of Overlays - the 51 games (including baseball) not included with flashback and a bonus pair of WC Baseball overlays to correct an error on ones that came with the flashbacks (forgot what error was off hand without looking). The highest they sold for was $305 and have cleared $200 a few other times and $170 another time with some being used. Others have sold for less. Being that only 500 were produced and many were lost or incomplete, I would guess maybe only 300+ complete sets are out there and less in absolute née condition. Just a guess though. I'll eventually sell one of my sets at some point in future for what I consider a fair price. RIP Keith!