IGNORED

How to Tell if a 2600 Version of Tomcat F-14 is a Mislabeled 7800 Cart

nosweargamer

As you may or may not already know, some Atari 7800 versions of Tomcat: The F-14 Fighter Simulator were sold with 2600 labels on the put on the cartridges by mistake. I made a video showing this, but you can tell what system a 2600 labeled cart is for simply by looking at the exposed circuit board (The 7800 version is wider and includes groves on each side. It also won't fit in a 2600 system).

And now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

What's obvious to some isn't obvious to all. When I got my mislabeled copy mixed in a lot of 2600 games, i didn't realize what it was until I tested it. It never occurred to me to look at the circuit board. Of course, now it seems so obvious. So this isn't a huge revelation, but it might help a couple of gamers who never knew about the mislabeled version or didn't realize how easy it is to check. I also wouldn't be surprised if a few collectors have a 7800 mislabeled version but didn't realize it since they just threw on the shelf after they got it.

Was not aware of the label mixup myself, but yeah... there's always the edge connector.

Reminds me of when you see someone on eBay selling a Commodore 64 cartridge, but think it's for the Colecovision or A8. See that sort of mixup all the time actually. :lol:

I got roped on a Qbert's Qubes this way about 10 years ago. Was assured it was for the 2600 and it was actually a coleco cart :x