IGNORED

Looking for new speakers for my PC

zzip

The subwoofer on my current sound setup is flaking out, and without it, it sounds tinny.

I'm looking for a replacement. I'm thinking about getting a system without a subwoofer, because I don't like how much space they take under the desk, and it's not the first sub that crapped out on me. But I worry about losing bass. (not that I'm a bass whore, or ever utilized it to the max-- it would disturb everyone in the house)

I've been thinking of these Creative T20- they seem to review well, and claim they have good bass for their size.

https://us.creative.com/p/speakers/gigaworks-t20-series-ii

Anyone have experience with these, or anything else you can recommend in the price range? <$100

Or should I just get a speaker hat?

If you can find an older pair I've had a hell of a lot of fun with a simple set of Logitech speakers, just a pair with a subwoofer and a remote body with the on/off, power, volume wheel, and headphones etc jack to it. Logitech Z313.

Amazon still sells them new for around $30, probably came out 2 years ago now and Logitech still sells them on their site for $50.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/speaker-system-z313

Overall they seem to get around a 4 to 4.5/5.0 rating across various reviews googling around for a moment. I remember I found them at a goodwill in the box when they were a few months on the market someone just ditched and probably the best 2 speaker+sub set I've ever had. The audio on them are truly fantastic for gaming, music, and movies too. They're 25w speakers each and a 15w sub, and they're not weak despite their small size.

If you need bluetooth for whatever reason Logitech has made this cool little additional box that does this their speakers or anything, even very old receivers/amplifiers can use as long as they have a 3.5mm input jack for around $22 more(amazon.com.)

I had been using a nice pair of Altec Lansings before that VS2220 (2 speaker+sub) and it outclassed them and they're highly thought of too so they're now around my chair if I want to add audio to my handheld mode Switch and 3DS.

If you can find an older pair I've had a hell of a lot of fun with a simple set of Logitech speakers, just a pair with a subwoofer and a remote body with the on/off, power, volume wheel, and headphones etc jack to it. Logitech Z313.

Amazon still sells them new for around $30, probably came out 2 years ago now and Logitech still sells them on their site for $50.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/speaker-system-z313

Overall they seem to get around a 4 to 4.5/5.0 rating across various reviews googling around for a moment. I remember I found them at a goodwill in the box when they were a few months on the market someone just ditched and probably the best 2 speaker+sub set I've ever had. The audio on them are truly fantastic for gaming, music, and movies too. They're 25w speakers each and a 15w sub, and they're not weak despite their small size.

If you need bluetooth for whatever reason Logitech has made this cool little additional box that does this their speakers or anything, even very old receivers/amplifiers can use as long as they have a 3.5mm input jack for around $22 more(amazon.com.)

I had been using a nice pair of Altec Lansings before that VS2220 (2 speaker+sub) and it outclassed them and they're highly thought of too so they're now around my chair if I want to add audio to my handheld mode Switch and 3DS.

Don't need Bluetooth, but an extra input jack would be nice.

I just needs something that sounds nice, don't need enough bass to knock the paintings off the wall or anything, that's why I'm iffy on another subwoofer-based system. But on the other hand, that's 1/3 the price of the Creative pair I was looking at. Hmmm...

I can run it fine without rattling the walls, not overkill in other words. It's all done to how high you tweak your volume on the unit, and then your general settings in windows (and not just the master volume but the sliders.) It does lack an input though, just the headphone jack on the front of the oval bit with the power/volume wheel.

To piggy back on this thread I also need to get another set of computer audio speakers. I had to give my Logitec Z232 to my wife for her workstation so I'm left with a nearly 20 year old Onkyo soundbar+sub. It sounds very good but I don't like soundbars as a general rule and it takes up a huge amount of space on my desk (*see attached picture). My budget will be ~$50 and I'm only interested in a 2.1 system--sound quality is somewhat important but not so much to spend more than ~$50. I liked the Logitec system's sound quality and all but I didn't like the fragility of the cables and connections. I had to replace one of my speakers because the cable plug broke. Found out the RCA jack wasn't metal... I love these Harmon Kardon's but they are too expensive.

Thoughts?

post-57257-0-01993800-1507906163_thumb.jpg

I'd again recommend the one I mentioned earlier, it's around $30 on amazon and has a great presence not that the Altec Lansings in that post don't either, just maybe a little less nice.

Ironically that Logitec you posted is below the model I already have. :) Altec Lansings have not been what they used to be about ~15 years ago. It is like they almost started to cheap out on their products the last 10 years or so.

Anyone familiar with the Trust brand? Seems to be rated well on Amazon.

Ok if you have bluetooth as a choice the Anker portable speaker line that amazon sells is fantastic. Even if you don't want it for a computer they have a cube shaped one around $30~ or so that has insanely great audio and a crazy 20-24hour battery life too.

I already have a very good Harmon Kardon bluetooth speaker (similar design as the speakers I posted earlier) but I don't have a bluetooth receiver on my PC and I'd really want a 2.1 system. :)

I ended up ordering the Edifier R980T speakers. They seem to get all around great reviews from Amazon and people on youtube. They will fit the shelf above my monitor better than the Creative pair I linked earlier, plus they were cheaper!

And no more subwoofer, so more legroom under the desk!

http://www.edifier.com/us/en/speakers/r980t-2.0-powered-bookshelf418qVk-2qXL.jpg

I had a set of Klipsch 2.1 pro-medias and loved them until for some reason, the left channel just stopped working one day. Appeared to be an issue with the amp inside the sub. So..I repurposed those speakers into my game room as rear satellite speakers, and modded the subwoofer to take any mono input and connected it to the LFE signal off my receiver in the bedroom. Bit too much bass but it works.

I use and still enjoy my Bose companion 3's I picked up for a pretty cheap price at Sam's a few years back.

My wife has a pretty nice set of Logitech speakers I got for her a couple of years ago. But i can't recall which model right off hand.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a set of Klipsch 2.1 pro-medias and loved them until for some reason, the left channel just stopped working one day. Appeared to be an issue with the amp inside the sub. So..I repurposed those speakers into my game room as rear satellite speakers, and modded the subwoofer to take any mono input and connected it to the LFE signal off my receiver in the bedroom. Bit too much bass but it works.

I use and still enjoy my Bose companion 3's I picked up for a pretty cheap price at Sam's a few years back.

My wife has a pretty nice set of Logitech speakers I got for her a couple of years ago. But i can't recall which model right off hand.

I've had a Klipsch 5.1 set up for around 13 years now and still works great. It was expensive but well worth the money.

Just my 2 cents on this since the OP already picked the replacement set. I've had my Yamaha YST-MS50 speakers for nearly 20 years and they sound as good as when they were new. The sub under the desk is a bit of a hassle, but I'll live with that.

That being said, I purchased the Amazon basics AC powered pair for $20 when I was building my arcade cab and I am pretty impressed by the sound for what I paid for them.