IGNORED

New Atari 2600 Games to Debut at 2017 Portland Retro Gaming Expo

Albert

I played some Parker Bros Super cobra tonight (I have had this game for quite a while and never got around to playing it) and there is definitely certain elements from it's Scramble prequel.

The port is definitely impressive for a bitd release although movement is a bit jerky. The Super Cobra Arcade port will no doubt blow this one away, but I'll still be able to hone my skills a bit on the Parker Bros cart. Fun fact, I thought Super Cobra was a J.I. Joe spinoff when I picked it up originally some years ago (Cobra is the villain in the series). :lolblue:

I managed to pick up Draconian (got the last space station extra) and Space Cactus Canyon, both are great, but I really like Space Cactus Canyon. Just the story alone makes me think of an original game Atari would have made back in the day. Too bad I just ran out of money to buy more, I spent almost $200 just at the Atariage booth alone and now my credit card is begging for mercy.

• Like 1

Here's a look at Super Cobra Arcade. All of the arcade game's enemies, stages and terrain are present in the 2600 version. John did an amazing job with it. There's no real comparison between it and the Parker Bros. version. If you play the two of them back-to-back, they feel nothing alike. John's version is every bit as challenging as the arcade game. Fortunately, he included several difficulty settings: Novice, Standard, Advanced (which is closest to the arcade game), and in case there are any people out there who don't think Super Cobra is hard enough - Expert. :D John added some "extras" to the Expert level too, which will challenge any gamer. If you have an AtariVox or SaveKey, it will save your high scores (like Scramble).

Enjoy!

This has to be one of the most incredible conversion to an Atari 2600 EVER. I mean my god... it looks like something I'd see on the 7800... not the 2600. Just when I thought Scramble was pusing the limits then comes this! Instant purchase!

• Like 7

• 3 years later...
On 11/7/2017 at 9:28 AM, FroggoGamer said:

Finally beat Space Cactus Canyon, so I'll be pestering them about that patch now.

Now if Highscore.com would just add Space Cactus Canyon to their high score I can get another trophy.

FroggoGamer,
I have the cartridge of this game. I like it...but I'm pretty bad at it.
Can you share some gameplay tips you discovered with this game?

Thanks,
Stephen