IGNORED

Good source for an s-video cable for 130XE?

VicViper

What kind of socket was the S-vid board wired to?

The 130XE (and the 800 for that matter) do separate chroma/luma right from the DIN socket, no need for any kind of mod or video board.

Anyway, personally, I use cables I’ve bought from B&C ComputerVisions (‘myatari’ on eBay). Well-made and work great. I have one with a standard consumer S-Video connector to run into my 27” Toshiba CRT TV, and a second with separate Chroma/luma and Composite RCA connectors that I use with my Commodore 1702 monitor.

Seems like all Myatari has in stock are s video splitters for monitors, looking for something to use with a TV. there is a guy in Canada, was hoping to spend a couple bucks less than the 22ish he was asking. Might be my only choice though.

This one? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/6-Atari-Video-Monitor-Cable-S-Video-Audio-800-65XE-130XE-CX89-/332351049007

I have one of his and the cable is fantastic.

The cheapest way is to build the cable yourself. The cable would have a common male 5 pin DIN on one end, then your choice of output on the other end. Find a local electronics shop, and they should be able to hook you up with all the parts for probably a few dollars total. Of course, soldering required.

For example, simplest would be 1 male RCA for Composite video, 1 male RCA for audio.

For S-Video, you can either add 2 more male RCA connectors for separate Luma and chroma, common for connecting to Commodore monitors, or the more common svideo small connector which combines those 2.

Make a few extra and sell them yourself on ebay for $22 each :)

Except that will usually wind up in a garbage video output if people use the same wire type/shielding for all the signals, which is typical for 'general' DIN cables.

You can see the difference in how that particular cable is constructed. I get that it may not be 'worth' it to some folks, but I can tell you that cable has great video output :)

Seems like all Myatari has in stock are s video splitters for monitors, looking for something to use with a TV. there is a guy in Canada, was hoping to spend a couple bucks less than the 22ish he was asking. Might be my only choice though.

Would this one work? It says it is for 130XE, so it should. Has both S-video and composite.

https://www.8bitclassics.com/Atari-800-XL-XE-5-Pin-DIN-S-Video-Cable.html

• Like 1

The 130XE (and the 800 for that matter) do separate chroma/luma right from the DIN socket, no need for any kind of mod or video board.

Okay. Kinda makes me wonder why they used the single video out RCA jack on my XEGS. BTW, the link in my above post says early 800XL's didn't have separate chroma and luma.

Okay. Kinda makes me wonder why they used the single video out RCA jack on my XEGS. BTW, the link in my above post says early 800XL's didn't have separate chroma and luma.

I don't have an XEGS but most of the time, in that era, a single RCA jack was for an RF cable to run out to the TV, not a standard composite video connector.

As for 800XLs, so far as I've ever know, NTSC 800XLs never have the chroma signal connected I have three of them (one Rev A, two Rev C boards), and on all of them, the pin is just soldered to an empty pad. I have a UAV in one of them and it's an easy fix to run a wire for the chroma signal.

I don't have an XEGS but most of the time, in that era, a single RCA jack was for an RF cable to run out to the TV, not a standard composite video connector.

The XEGS has composite and RF. For composite, one video jack and one mono audio jack, both RCA. Then, there is another RCA jack for the normal RF output.