IGNORED

Looking to start a Connecticut Atari User Group

Allan

I would like to know how many Atarians are in the Pittsburgh, PA area.

I will start another thread, so please keep this one about the great state of Connecticut.

Go for it. Maybe if we can both get a decent size group (more than one in each group . :) ) we could do a field trip as two groups to meet up. Like a yearly event type thing. I am hoping somebody will do an Atari KansasFest one day. Imagine a whole week of Atari 8-bit games, programming, and chat.

Allan

• Like 2

Now I want to start a monthly NJ based Atari group too!

Some one could probably arrange something like that at the VCF East facility in Wall NJ. They have classrooms and a dorm.

Bill

Copycat!!! :)

I'd have to raid your monthly meetings.

So do you think the VCF East facility have everything a bunch of people would need to stay there for a few days? And would they even allow this?

Allan

I have thought of this for my area so many times its not funny. I even started a a basic retro computer group though not atari specific, had a website, solicited it with minor success, about 5 members if i recall correctly, but we never officially met because I thought the group was too small to try and get together (assuming only 1 or 2 would show). Then disbanded it after no responses in the group.

I'm tempted to try again, maybe make it Atari this time. Wish you all luck!

I have thought of this for my area so many times its not funny. I even started a a basic retro computer group though not atari specific, had a website, solicited it with minor success, about 5 members if i recall correctly, but we never officially met because I thought the group was too small to try and get together (assuming only 1 or 2 would show). Then disbanded it after no responses in the group.

I'm tempted to try again, maybe make it Atari this time. Wish you all luck!

If you got 5 that would be good. Remember all you really need is two. Remember to take photos and brag about what you did to get more people to come to the next meeting.

Allan

Not sure anymore about what I was expecting. I do remember I didnt want to bring several strangers into the house without meeting someone else first. I also remember polling for a meet & greet, failed on several attempts. Then I let it sit, and eventually deleted everything. Maybe I'll try again this winter.

Not sure anymore about what I was expecting. I do remember I didnt want to bring several strangers into the house without meeting someone else first. I also remember polling for a meet & greet, failed on several attempts. Then I let it sit, and eventually deleted everything. Maybe I'll try again this winter.

Understood. It's a lot to take on and unless you get lucky and find some good help, you 're going to have to do most of it yourself. First thing is to find one local person who you can rely on to show up. At least then your not sitting at some place by yourself looking like a super dork. :) . Next step is to find a place to meet. Your local library is one place to try. They may have room with electricity and tables and chairs to rent for free for a couple of hours. So at least if you reserve a room and it's only the two of you it doesn't seem a waste. Once you get those two things you got to promote it. Figure out something that will make people want to go. Maybe do a demo of some software or hardware. Maybe learn some utility software the month before and do a demonstration. There is really a lot you can do. If you can a get a modern projector you can do a demo on a big screen. If you know how to program you could give a little class. Maybe do a small lesson each time you meet.

Allan

• 3 weeks later...