IGNORED

1088XEL Atari ITX Motherboard Pre-order & Interest Thread

MacRorie

Folks,

Attached to this post is a PDF of all of the interest so far. If it is in error or your name is not on the list, let me know ASAP.

I have the boards in hand right now (see pics). I can ship all of the bare boards to those that want them. Based on this interest, I WILL do another run. I will probably do green/white (board/silkscreen) as that seems to be of interest.

If you want a bare board, you may send payment now and I will get it out to you. I am going to temporarily restrict bareboard orders to no more than 3 per person. Simply because after three boards, the shipping costs exceed what I am charging for shipping and this is already complicated. [bARE BOARD PAYMENTS $10 per board Shipping is $10/$15/$20 for US/CAN/RoW, send payment via PayPal to marlin4@gmail.com or CLICK HERE

Estimated prices for the various options are listed on the side. "DTR Boards" are what I am calling all sub-assemblies (UAV,U1M,etc) as well as the Atari LSI chips. So, if it says "Full" or "FullBOM" that means everything that you need to get it to work. If it says "-DTR" or "NoDTRBOM" then the DTR Board items are NOT included.

I just ordered a crap ton of parts for this, I need a week or so to gather everything that I have been ordering over the past few months and organize it and then assemble a unit. There are many different options and I want to make sure that everything is covered whilst still being as transparent about the process as possible.

The 3D printed case is progressing, but not there yet. I have been investigating getting some Realan cases as pictured on MyTekControl's website as well, but needed to get interest before moving on it (shipping those is ridiculous and it actually might be cheaper for me to go to China and pick them up! No, seriously).

Interest List has been updated: 27Oct17

Second run, in Green/White, is CONFIRMED (If you have a particular interest in a specific motherboard color, declare now. Otherwise, whatever is available at time of build/order will be used)

post-16779-0-02926600-1508991630_thumb.jpg

1088XEL Interest List 27Oct17.pdf

• Like 4

Folks,

I just ordered a crap ton of parts for this, I need a week or so to gather everything that I have been ordering over the past few months and organize it and then assemble a unit. There are many different options and I want to make sure that everything is covered whilst still being as transparent about the process as possible.

The 3D printed case is progressing, but not there yet. I have been investigating getting some Realan cases as pictured on MyTekControl's website as well, but needed to get interest before moving on it (shipping those is ridiculous and it actually might be cheaper for me to go to China and pick them up! No, seriously).

Have you received the new U1MB's that have the correct headers or do you have the ones we'll need to send to Steven?

Looking at the price list, it would be approx $100 to add a 3D printed case to the Full BOM ?

• Like 1

It's coming together a little quicker than I had anticipated. icon_smile.gif $500 for an assembled board with all the necessary bits, is very reasonable, but something that has to be personally considered. :D - I'll be able to wing it and splurge it up a bit more (add a printed case), if payment is needed no sooner than early December, otherwise I may need to scale back to just to an unassembled BOM , my discretionary financial officer giving me the eye. icon_wink.gif

If this is an ITX board what is the need for a 'custom' printed case?

The 1088XEL form factor completely conforms to the Mini-ITX specification, and will bolt right into any case designed for such. But some things are outside the scope of the ITX spec, such as the cartridge port, certain status displays, joystick ports, and mouse port switch. Of course several of those items could be considered optional. However by 3D printing a custom case, this stuff can be better accommodated. I can't speak for what MacRorie has created, but I am looking forward to seeing it.

- Michael

Have you received the new U1MB's that have the correct headers or do you have the ones we'll need to send to Steven?

Looking at the price list, it would be approx $100 to add a 3D printed case to the Full BOM ?

I do not know, but would rather guess high than low. As a point of reference, it is 17 hours to print just the base case. Another print job for the rear panel and a third job for the top of the case. The 4th print job is the cart tunnel and needs to be printed in nylon. So, $100 is probably little high (but not that much) but certainly cheaper than what the 3D print hubs would charge you for a custom-designed case (for example, the cart tunnel by itself is $20 or so from print houses).

• Like 1

It's coming together a little quicker than I had anticipated. icon_smile.gif $500 for an assembled board with all the necessary bits, is very reasonable, but something that has to be personally considered. :D - I'll be able to wing it and splurge it up a bit more (add a printed case), if payment is needed no sooner than early December, otherwise I may need to scale back to just to an unassembled BOM , my discretionary financial officer giving me the eye. icon_wink.gif

I think that is perfectly fine. Here is what I am trying to do: I am trying to keep everyone apprised so that no one thinks that the project has stalled. HOWEVER, let me be clear, I see this as a longer term thing, so do not fear that you will have to come up with the money anytime immediately. For example, I have not even received the bulk of the parts from my suppliers. I have yet to build a production board so I know how long it takes. My vision is with EVERYTHING people ask me to make, I am the person (or persons) who can supply it. One of the problems I see with our hobby is that people come up with GREAT products and then they disappear only to get expensive. If it is a great idea then we should have a way to make sure that it is always available for people to tinker with.

So long as it can be done affordably for folks and , you know, for me, I want to provide that venue. The way I figure it, I get to play with cool stuff AND I get to be able to make it available to others whilst freeing the creators up to keep making cool stuff. Also, it opens those products up to people who may have the desire, but not necessarily the time or the skillset to do everything a product requires. I think it can be done and it can be done for an extended period. However, I could be wrong. What I am trying to do is make sure I can do it and still be here five years or even ten years from now. One of the reasons I *really* like Michael's project here is that it eliminates a lot of the fault lines in the 8bit (keyboards, disk drives, video, RAM) while still maintaining access to ALL of the original soft & hardware and *not* being emulation. (Not knocking emulation, it is amazing, but sometimes you just want to run it on "real iron.")

Sorry, been thinking a lot about this recently. It is starting to consume a lot of my time and I am realizing that I am *really* okay with that. Remember, this all started two+ years ago because I could not find an R-Time8 for a project, so I re-created it. Things have come along to supplant it, but I still sell one every now and again. Not going to pay the rent (or even lunch for that matter!), but still, it is out there.

tl;dr: No worries. I do not have everything necessary yet, so it will be a bit. Even then, if you want to wait a bit: I & it will still be here,

• Like 6

New U1MB's with the correct headers? Are these confirmed to actually exist or are we assuming the word "OK" from Lotharek written under a photo of one of my modified boards implies they exist?

Do not know. I am not operating under the impression that they are or are not. That is one of the next steps on my list. It will save me some time if they do exist. I have sent a message to him to confirm, etc.

If this is an ITX board what is the need for a 'custom' printed case?

It is an ITX board. You could build your own. However, a lid with an opening for the cart would be a custom job, the back panel is a custom job, also, some embossed logo on the front would be custom. However, you can put it in ANYTHING that would accept an ITX board.

Oh, so the pic you posted was just a tease then? Thought you might have had an inside scoop...

The picture posted showed an U1MB which I had "corrected" late last year, photographed, and posted on Facebook as the suggested "U1MB 2K17" revision. It drew absolutely no response whatsoever at the time, but perhaps the prospect of guaranteed sales has achieved what constructive criticism failed to achieve for almost twelve months. :) No inside scoops, I'm afraid... Indeed I'm totally out of the loop with what's in the pipeline over there. ;)

Well, it plainly got his attention the other day, but I'm a little disappointed that the other numerous arguments for fixing the design - aside from 1088XEL compatibility - fell on deaf ears for so long. I refuse to install boards with the right angle headers, and have a stockpile of IDC box housings (which I'm rapidly depleting) for this reason.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

I do not know, but would rather guess high than low. As a point of reference, it is 17 hours to print just the base case. Another print job for the rear panel and a third job for the top of the case. The 4th print job is the cart tunnel and needs to be printed in nylon. So, $100 is probably little high (but not that much) but certainly cheaper than what the 3D print hubs would charge you for a custom-designed case (for example, the cart tunnel by itself is $20 or so from print houses).

Okay cool, I'll send payment for the one bare board and FullBOM kit once you are ready for that, then later buy a case when you are ready for that...

Payment sent for two boards. $DEITY willing and the creek don’t rise (and MrsVenkman doesn’t nix the deal), I’ll be sending money for the rest of the BOM whenever you’ve got everything put together! (*)

(*) If MrsVenkman nips me in the bank account, at least I’ll be able to build one out slowly over time. :)

• Like 1